The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vacation to sunny destinations, Carribean cruise

Forums General Melanoma Community Vacation to sunny destinations, Carribean cruise

Participant

Hello,

i was diagnosed with melanoma 2 month ago. Mole has been removed. Test showed that removed on time, just need to remove more tissue around, so I had another removal 3 weeks ago. 

I have planned vacation to Carribean (cruise) and now need to quickly cancel or go. And my doctor is away on vacation, so cannot ask him. Trip is in 3 weeks, so 6 weeks since last cut.

please advise if it is ok to go or need to Waite some time or never go to sunny destinations!

thank you in advance

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

BRAF inhibitors like Zelboraf make you extremely sensitive to sunburn and you would probably be well advised not to plan vacations in suny climes if you were taking Zelboraf. But since you are not on any BRAF inhibitors, there is no reason for you to cancel your vacation.

What you need to do– what we all need to do– is be sure you practice "sun safety" for the rest of your life. Always wear strong sunscreen (SPF 45 or above), wear a broad-brimmed hat, and don't stay in the sun too long. You should also get in the habit of checking yourself regularly for moles or freckles that change– get bigger, change shape or color, start to itch or bleed, etc.

If you do those things, you should be fine. Have a great trip!

POW
          Participant

BRAF inhibitors like Zelboraf make you extremely sensitive to sunburn and you would probably be well advised not to plan vacations in suny climes if you were taking Zelboraf. But since you are not on any BRAF inhibitors, there is no reason for you to cancel your vacation.

What you need to do– what we all need to do– is be sure you practice "sun safety" for the rest of your life. Always wear strong sunscreen (SPF 45 or above), wear a broad-brimmed hat, and don't stay in the sun too long. You should also get in the habit of checking yourself regularly for moles or freckles that change– get bigger, change shape or color, start to itch or bleed, etc.

Erinmay22
              Participant

It's ok to go to sunny destinations!  Just be smart about it.  I once spent 3 days sea kayaking in the bay of Thailand not long after my diagnosis.  I almost had a major panic attack the night before!  But with plenty of sun screen, sun shirts, hats, etc I managed to spend 3 days and not get any sunburn.  I did get made fun of for having the largest wide brim hat! but that's ok…  

Good luck!

Jahendry12
                Participant

I agree with POW & Erinmay22 – be safe in the sun & have fun! 

Jahendry12
                  Participant

Jahendry12
                    Participant

Erinmay22
                      Participant

It's ok to go to sunny destinations!  Just be smart about it.  I once spent 3 days sea kayaking in the bay of Thailand not long after my diagnosis.  I almost had a major panic attack the night before!  But with plenty of sun screen, sun shirts, hats, etc I managed to spend 3 days and not get any sunburn.  I did get made fun of for having the largest wide brim hat! but that's ok…  

Good luck!

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Good luck!

POW
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

I don't ever let melanoma change anything I want to do in life – if I do, then melanoma wins.  The key is to do that stuff "smarter".  So use sunblock or cover up more, hats, avoid the worst of the sun hours if it can be done… then LIVE LIFE!

Janner
                            Participant

I don't ever let melanoma change anything I want to do in life – if I do, then melanoma wins.  The key is to do that stuff "smarter".  So use sunblock or cover up more, hats, avoid the worst of the sun hours if it can be done… then LIVE LIFE!

Janner
                              Participant

mitchwendy
                                  Participant

I had mine removed and biopsy in the lymph nodes done… guess what… my cruise is in April!

Still going! Just be smart (tips above) and enjoy life!

wink

mitchwendy
                                    Participant

I had mine removed and biopsy in the lymph nodes done… guess what… my cruise is in April!

wink

mitchwendy
                                      Participant

wink

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Hi,

By no means does this mean you should cancel your cruise.  We just came back from a beautiful 7 day cruise and got a little sun each day.  We did not get burned but the best way to get Vitamin D3 is from the sun.

So go, have fun but be sun smart.  No sunburns but some sun won't hurt you as long as you are not in it long enough to burn.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                        Participant

Hi,

By no means does this mean you should cancel your cruise.  We just came back from a beautiful 7 day cruise and got a little sun each day.  We did not get burned but the best way to get Vitamin D3 is from the sun.

So go, have fun but be sun smart.  No sunburns but some sun won't hurt you as long as you are not in it long enough to burn.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Hi,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics