The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Uveitis. Off Zelboraf for now. Scans tomorrow.

Forums General Melanoma Community Uveitis. Off Zelboraf for now. Scans tomorrow.

Participant

Developed a very red and extremely painful eye over the weekend.Very irritated and light sensitive. Saw eye Dr this am & dx is uveitis and synechia ( which is the iris "sticking" to the lens). Off Z for now until further instructions from Oncologist. Being treated with prednisolone drops every hour, and atropine drops 4Xday. My routine PET is tomorrow. This is the 2nd PET since starting Z in May of this yr.

Developed a very red and extremely painful eye over the weekend.Very irritated and light sensitive. Saw eye Dr this am & dx is uveitis and synechia ( which is the iris "sticking" to the lens). Off Z for now until further instructions from Oncologist. Being treated with prednisolone drops every hour, and atropine drops 4Xday. My routine PET is tomorrow. This is the 2nd PET since starting Z in May of this yr. Thankful the uveitis seems to have been caught in time to not cause any permanent effects, but I am not sure if this will cause me to be unable to continue on the Zelboraf. I will post when I have scan results, and answers for the next step…

Tina D

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

OMG Tina, it seems like its one thing or another.  I am so sorry your going through this.  Maybe then can put you back on Z at 1/2 dose.  It seems like everyone that is suffering side effects after they take a break and go on half a dose seem to tolerate it better.

Best wishes to you!!

Denise

DeniseK
          Participant

OMG Tina, it seems like its one thing or another.  I am so sorry your going through this.  Maybe then can put you back on Z at 1/2 dose.  It seems like everyone that is suffering side effects after they take a break and go on half a dose seem to tolerate it better.

Best wishes to you!!

Denise

DeniseK
            Participant

Best wishes to you!!

Denise

Amy K
              Participant

Tina,

I'm sorry you've developed uveitis and synechias.  This is interesting because my husband developed uveitis as one of his first signs that he had stage 4 melanoma.  He was very light sensitive and his eye bothered him.  He got on the BRAF trial and got DTIC and it actually worked.  Then his cancer came back and he got on the other arm of the trial, zelboraf.  He's been on zelboraf for 17 months NED!!!  His cancer is doing great.  His eye is still having problems, but it's not painful and bottom line is the cancer is gone!!!

The reason I'm telling you this is because he developed his eye problems early on way before he was on zelboraf.  So, I just thought that maybe it's not zelboraf causing the eye problems for you either.  We are extremely happy on zelboraf (after he got reduced to half dose because of aches, rashes, joint pain etc). because the cancer has been gone for so long and we pray it can stay that way. 

Please feel free to ask any questions, I just had to let you know his situation since he has had the same diagnosis in his eye too!  This cancer can do crazy things and so can the drugs to stop the cancer. 

I wish you the best in your cancer fight and thanks for posting!!

Snickers60
                  Participant

TINA, praying everything goes WELL with your scans.   So sorry to learn you are having this EYE ISSUE.   Goodness, the

list seems endless doesn't it.    Praying for you.   Please update when you know something. 

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X warrior Wayne)  <><

Snickers60
                    Participant

TINA, praying everything goes WELL with your scans.   So sorry to learn you are having this EYE ISSUE.   Goodness, the

list seems endless doesn't it.    Praying for you.   Please update when you know something. 

Snickers60
                      Participant

Amy K
                      Participant

Tina,

I'm sorry you've developed uveitis and synechias.  This is interesting because my husband developed uveitis as one of his first signs that he had stage 4 melanoma.  He was very light sensitive and his eye bothered him.  He got on the BRAF trial and got DTIC and it actually worked.  Then his cancer came back and he got on the other arm of the trial, zelboraf.  He's been on zelboraf for 17 months NED!!!  His cancer is doing great.  His eye is still having problems, but it's not painful and bottom line is the cancer is gone!!!

The reason I'm telling you this is because he developed his eye problems early on way before he was on zelboraf.  So, I just thought that maybe it's not zelboraf causing the eye problems for you either.  We are extremely happy on zelboraf (after he got reduced to half dose because of aches, rashes, joint pain etc). because the cancer has been gone for so long and we pray it can stay that way. 

Please feel free to ask any questions, I just had to let you know his situation since he has had the same diagnosis in his eye too!  This cancer can do crazy things and so can the drugs to stop the cancer. 

Amy K
                        Participant

Tina,

awillett1991
                          Participant
                            Tina,

I hate to hear this but I’m glad it was caught early. Ipi gave me iritis/uveitis and after 6 wks of the pred drops I’m am all clear.

I made it 2 Weeks on Z this time before I had to halt it (chills& fever broke the camels back). I start back tomorrow and my doc is planning this time to cycle me on and off with it so that I can tolerate it better, it’s effective, and hopefully also stay off steroids. Let us know about those scans – I will pray for you.

I did finish 4th round of Ipi yesterday, certainly not smooth but done! Keep us updated!

Amy

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Tina,

I hate to hear this but I’m glad it was caught early. Ipi gave me iritis/uveitis and after 6 wks of the pred drops I’m am all clear.

I made it 2 Weeks on Z this time before I had to halt it (chills& fever broke the camels back). I start back tomorrow and my doc is planning this time to cycle me on and off with it so that I can tolerate it better, it’s effective, and hopefully also stay off steroids. Let us know about those scans – I will pray for you.

I did finish 4th round of Ipi yesterday, certainly not smooth but done! Keep us updated!

Amy

awillett1991
                              Participant
                                Tina,

Amy

Tina D
                                Participant

Thanks everyone ๐Ÿ™‚   . I posted a new update abt scan results. As for my eyes, the Oncologist attributes the uveitis to the Z. Not a real common occurance but can happen. My eye doc says there has been a little improvement. My pupil is shaped like a sideways heart due to my iris being adhered to my lens in 3 places. He said that part may not resolve, but that alone wont affect my vision.I told my husband "eye heart U", haha! The cloudy vision comes from white cells in the eye. I couldnt read the eye chart at all with my left eye. Eye pain is mostly gone, though. Continuing drops. Amy… I remember you briefly mentioned abt getting uveitis in a note somewhere, and you barely mentioned it in passing…. you had it for 6 WEEKS?! I am so glad to hear you have finished the ipi, but sorry you had such a hard time restarting the Zelboraf. Do they think that could possibly be because you were also still on the ipi? Praying for great results for you and hoping you feel better for the Christmas holiday season. 

Tina D
                                  Participant

Thanks everyone ๐Ÿ™‚   . I posted a new update abt scan results. As for my eyes, the Oncologist attributes the uveitis to the Z. Not a real common occurance but can happen. My eye doc says there has been a little improvement. My pupil is shaped like a sideways heart due to my iris being adhered to my lens in 3 places. He said that part may not resolve, but that alone wont affect my vision.I told my husband "eye heart U", haha! The cloudy vision comes from white cells in the eye. I couldnt read the eye chart at all with my left eye. Eye pain is mostly gone, though. Continuing drops. Amy… I remember you briefly mentioned abt getting uveitis in a note somewhere, and you barely mentioned it in passing…. you had it for 6 WEEKS?! I am so glad to hear you have finished the ipi, but sorry you had such a hard time restarting the Zelboraf. Do they think that could possibly be because you were also still on the ipi? Praying for great results for you and hoping you feel better for the Christmas holiday season. 

Tina D
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics