The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update, Switching from Ipi/Nivo to BRAF/Mek advice please

Forums General Melanoma Community Update, Switching from Ipi/Nivo to BRAF/Mek advice please

Participant

Hi everyone! 

So we met with our oncologist on Tuesday. She is thinking to switch my husband treatment to braf/mek combo. She thought  there is no visible change in the size of the huge visible Tumor on the shoulder (although according to the ultrasound he did a month ago, 10 cm of the central part of the mass is fluid/necrotic tissue), also one the other subq tumor is bigger, and there are progressing in the lungs( now multiple nodules). But she also said we could give the third ipi/nivo a chance (this coming Saturday). So the plan is third ipi/nivo, then another set of scan on Wednesday, if there is still progressing moving to targeted therapy. Now my questions are?

is there still any hope for immunotherapy to kick in? Any experience?!

how durable is targeted therapy? Any positive thoughts?

we are from Ontario Canada, and from what she mentioned ( funding complications) we probably won’t be able to go back to immunotherapy after trying targeted therapy.

any help, advice or experience would be much appreciated!

many thanks as always 

Zoe

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        cjm22
        Participant

Hey Zoe, sorry to hear the ipi/nivo combo isn't working for your husband yet! My husband and I were faced with the same problem last April except we're in BC. He was on ipi/nivo for about a week before our oncologist decided his cancer was just progressing way too fast and he had to switch to Taf/Mek instead. Like in your situation, this meant that we had to give up ipi/nivo altogether since there was no funding for my husband to go back on ipi/nivo once Taf/Mek failed.

In my husband's case we really had no choice because the cancer was just going totally bonkers — couldn't breathe and required home oxygen, was unable to walk, stopped eating for a few days, etc. Taf/Mek saved my husband's life! It was really miraculous. Within 2 weeks he was completely off home oxygen and able to walk around again. Life almost went back to normal for a little while.

In your case, it sounds like your husband is still doing (relatively) okay and could afford to do one more treatment and see if that does the trick. So I'm not totally sure what you should decide to do.

I will say that some people on this board have found really good responses to the BRAF inhibitors, some for many years! So that is possible. But it's probably true that most people don't enjoy those long responses. My husband's response to Taf/Mek only lasted 3 months.

However, there might be other options if/when Taf/Mek fails for your husband. At least in BC, my husband was able to go on pembrolizumab (Keytruda) after Taf/Mek. The province is covering his pembro treatments. I'm not sure if this is an option in Ontario? But you might be able to ask your oncologist about that. Pembrolizumab is similar to nivolumab.

My husband and I have also decided to privately pay for low-dose ipilimumab, so between that and the province-covered pembro that's something like the ipi/nivo combo (except a little easier in terms of side effects, since he only takes 1/3rd of the ipi). This is very expensive and I know we're really lucky to have the family support and resources to help us do this. But if that's at all an option for you, if Ontario can pay for pembro and you can cover the ipi, then that's basically going back on the combo again afterwards.

There is not as much research on the ipi/pembro combo as there is on ipi/nivo, but our oncologist was supportive because a) pembro works like nivo, and there is lots of research about ipi/nivo, and b) my husband is going on a lower dose of ipi than what people get with ipi/nivo, so side effects should not be as bad as with ipi/nivo. Also, she knows we are pretty desperate for more options for my husband.

At least, this is how we've been handling my husband's pretty similar situation here in BC. Good luck, I know these decisions are really hard.

Edwin
            Participant

For my 2nd, 3rd and 4th infusions of ipi + nivo my oncologist reduced the dose of ipi by 50%.   I had very bad diarrhea after my 1st infusion of ipi + nivo.  Side effects were tolerable with the reduced dose of ipi.  After this treatment the melanoma in my bones disappeared.    So, there is hope that pembro + 1/3 dose of ipi will help your husband.

cjm22
              Participant

That is good to hear! I hope it works for my husband, too!! My understanding is that there have been a couple early trials combining pembro + low-dose ipi, which show comparable response rates to the ipi/nivo combo with fewer serious side effects. So, yay! But those are just early trials and I think the patients were all treatment-naive and maybe even no brain metastases, so they were probably in better shape than my husband is at this point, ha.

His oncologist says that he's in uncharted territories with this combo since there's not much research for pembro/ipi on someone with his medical history: really high tumour burden, tried ipi/nivo once, tried BRAF inhibitors until they failed, now onto this. But there is reason to think it could work for him. And, hey, we're paying for the ipi ourselves so the government can't complain too much about that.

He has had only one scan so far since starting and the results were mixed. Some stuff has shrunk/disappeared completely, but one small new spot lit up on the PET scan and another, pre-existing spot is brighter on the PET scan than baseline. So we are continuing treatment for another three months to see what happens.

His side effects have been mild-ish so far … He's been extremely fatigued since long before he started this treatment so I don't think it's the treatment doing this, at least not completely. Some nausea, a skin rash. Apparently his liver is looking a little unhappy on this latest blood work so they are going to keep a close eye on that. But that's it.

Zoe6565
                Participant

Hi Edwin, your posts have always been encouraging so thank you for that! Do you mind if I ask how long it took for your treatment to kick in? Because my husband also had 2 months gap between the first and second treatment due to liver enzymes.

thanks again 

Edwin
                  Participant

In February 2016 walking became very painful; I thought I would never be able to run again.  I received Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy on April 1, June 3, June 24 and July 15, 2016.  Beginning in May 2016 I was able to bicycle slowly for an hour most days.   In June 2016 walking still hurt, but not as much.  I was able to run again late in July 2016. Because I could run again, I was not surprised when my August 2016 PET scan showed much improvement.

Zoe6565
                    Participant

Hi, 

thanks for sharing your journey. I know that your husband has been through a lot! Just like my husband, physically and emotionally unfortunately. I’v read many of your posts before and I know we have a lot in common! Country, treatment history and age ! 

He is getting his 3rd or maybe last ipi/nivo and I am really hoping for a miracle to happen, really hoping for a positive and durable response!

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers 

good luck 

cjm22
                      Participant

We melanomies need to stick together!!! <3

Nympha
                      Participant
                        Dear Zoe, we are absolutely in the same situation as you and your husband.
                        My father has two large tumors on his scar (tennis ball size) and many metastases balls arround. He took 4 rounds of keytruda (pembro) and we still don’t have any results. He is after radiotherapy now, in big pain. He is unable to walk, sit.. He can only lay.. We are hopeless, but we can see, that those two big tumors shrinked a little bit after radiotherapy and small metastases started to dry, some of them got black and fall down..
                        We asked our parents onkologist if keytruda won’t work, what will be next and he told us, there is nothing more to do.. You are verry happy to live in so developed country, full of possibilities…
                        We are going to ask our doctor to swich him to braf/mek, but what is the right decision ??
                        Nobody knows perfectly what will work for different person.
                        Our onkologist says that we have to wait until the sixth round of keytruda to see if it works..
                        I know some ppl, imunotherapy stared to work after high dose of radiotherapy and those big skin tumors disappeared.
                        I know some ppl who changed immunotherapy to targeted and their skin tumors disappeared very fast.. But they appeared again..
                        It depends..
                        Our case seems very poor, but there is something nobody can take us.. Its belief.. My dad is so strong and fights..however he is in horrible pain..

Wish you good luck.. You are not alone.. And there are many ppl who kicked this cancer’s butt..
                        Take care..
                        Veronika

Zoe6565
                          Participant

Thanks Veronika for listening and sharing! My husband also is in a lot of pain from these monsters around his shoulder! They are tender and inflamed. He is taking very strong pain meds, but still when the pain strikes, he gets fever, shaking and rapid heartbeat! 

Despite all these, I am very hopeful. Just like you said many people have kicked cancer butt, so why not us?!

my prayers are with you and your father 

Zoe

ed williams
                          Participant

Zoe, just to add a little bit more to what cjm22 and veronika have given you is the idea from the early days of immunotherapy trials. Dr. Weber who was one of the first oncologisit to treat melanoma patients with Ipi back around 2001 or 2002 always gives this piece of advice " you have to be patient with the patients" it takes time for immunotherapy to work for some patients. Stopping ipi+ nivo after 2 treatments doesn't make a lot of sense especially with the situation that you describe that it wouldn't be an option to go back to again after targeted therapy. Targeted therapy is a fantastic option but for the majority it won't be durable or long lasting because melanoma will mutate around it. Something to consider is the TIL's program at Princess Margaret in Toronto run by Dr. Marcus Butler. Here is a pretty good link on this topic.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNa4YxIaEDs

marta010
                            Participant

Zoe – my husband has been on Braf(Tafinlar)  since 2013 with intial reduction in tumor size and several years of long term stability.  He did have two brain mets during this time.  In an attempt to get his brain to cooperate, his oncologist added Keytruda and now has no evidence of disease in his brain or body.  I hope this works for your husband.  Take care.

Ann

Zoe6565
                                Participant

Hi Ann, that is really encouraging to hear 🙂 I am really hoping for a durable response for my husband too! I am hopeful and I know we can beat this beast too!

take care and  have a great weekend 

Zoe

sister of patient
                                Participant

Hi Zoe – Hope this helps, not complicates!!

We are in ON and my sister (BRAF+) was treated at Juravinski in Hamilton and is still under care there with her onc. She is NED but when she finished treatment, we specifically asked what happens in the event of recurrence and her onc told us that all treatments would be available to her again, including Taf/Mek, which was a surprise because, though my sister responded to it really well, she developed a gr 3 allergic reaction and it had to be discontinued. That was under clinical trial.

She went on to ipi-nivo combo, also under clinical trial and had 2 treatments before the ipi caused eye damage (and brain mets were discovered and treated) – the immunotherapy continued but nivo-only for 24 infusions. At that point, the trial ended and though her onc told us my sister may not be allowed to continue treatments, she was looking for options. The nivo did continue, without any interruption and, ultimately, it was OHIP that paid for it.

And that's what we've been told – she will be allowed any treatment that is now approved in this province as a "main stream" or "first-line" treatment. She was an excellent responder (luckily) to every treatment … I don't know if that has a bearing on any treatment decisions >> I've tried to clarify a number of these types of questions in the past, to no avail.

Wishing you and your husband the best possible outcomes!!

Barb

Viewing 4 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics