The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update: Progression on GSK’s BRAF inhibitor and other adventures

Forums General Melanoma Community Update: Progression on GSK’s BRAF inhibitor and other adventures

Participant

Hi, 

I've been on GSK's BRAF inhibitor since July 2011. After experiencing severe abdominal cramps several weeks ago, a CT showed a small bowel intussusception, which is (in adults) usually caused by a tumor. 

Long story short, I underwent surgery to examine the cause, and a small bowel met measuring 3cm was removed. Bowel surgery is surpsingly much more "uncomfortable than a cranitotomy!

Hi, 

I've been on GSK's BRAF inhibitor since July 2011. After experiencing severe abdominal cramps several weeks ago, a CT showed a small bowel intussusception, which is (in adults) usually caused by a tumor. 

Long story short, I underwent surgery to examine the cause, and a small bowel met measuring 3cm was removed. Bowel surgery is surpsingly much more "uncomfortable than a cranitotomy!

My brain MRI also showed likely progression in 1 met, so it was suggested that I receive tratment with Gamma Knife on all my brain lesions. I completed this today. Not a very pleasurable experience, though very good to have done. 

Currently I'm staying on the drug, awaiting for a vacancy (!) in another trial. Sometimes it seems strange that we're now experiencing an explosion in therapies for melanoma, though it's still very hard to find a place in a good trial.

Thanks for reading, 

Ben.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

You've been through a lot lately, Ben.  I hope you find a place in a trial soon. Please keep updating the board.  Fen

Fen
          Participant

You've been through a lot lately, Ben.  I hope you find a place in a trial soon. Please keep updating the board.  Fen

deardad
              Participant

Sorry to hear that Ben, hope that a trial comes you're way soon. Have you heard about Dabrafenib/MEK combo? Not sure if you can go onto another BRAF inhibitor after progressing on one? but this one has shown great results with brain mets.

All the best.

Nahmi from Melbourne

benp
                Participant

Hi Nahmi,

I asked today – there was one arm that did include this, though this closed quite some time ago. Not many options in Australia at the moment.

benp
                  Participant

Hi Nahmi,

I asked today – there was one arm that did include this, though this closed quite some time ago. Not many options in Australia at the moment.

benp
                    Participant

Hi Nahmi,

deardad
                      Participant

Sorry to hear that Ben, hope that a trial comes you're way soon. Have you heard about Dabrafenib/MEK combo? Not sure if you can go onto another BRAF inhibitor after progressing on one? but this one has shown great results with brain mets.

All the best.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                        Participant

All the best.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Fen
                        Participant

He warrior, you are fighting so hard. I am in the study with you, since December of 2010, and I have been more fortunate so far. Had a good dose of EN for about five weeks, but it cleared. If you are still in the BRAF / MEK study it must still be working or they would have excused you from the study from what I hear. do keep us informed, as we who are there with you in the study feel like instant family, to take a line from Jim F. another cohort.
                          John Murphy
                          He warrior, you are fighting so hard. I am in the study with you, since December of 2010, and I have been more fortunate so far. Had a good dose of EN for about five weeks, but it cleared. If you are still in the BRAF / MEK study it must still be working or they would have excused you from the study from what I hear. do keep us informed, as we who are there with you in the study feel like instant family, to take a line from Jim F. another cohort.
                          John Murphy
                          John Murphy
                            benp
                            Participant

Hi John, I'm not in the combo study, just the braf mono trial. I believe that I will be continuing the drug, even if I do leave the study. I will find out more shortly and let you know. Good luck, you sound like you're going really well on this treastment!

Ben.

benp
                              Participant

Hi John, I'm not in the combo study, just the braf mono trial. I believe that I will be continuing the drug, even if I do leave the study. I will find out more shortly and let you know. Good luck, you sound like you're going really well on this treastment!

Ben.

benp
                                Participant

Ben.

UrsulaZ
                                Participant

hi Ben — I'm newish here, but always enjoy your posts. Thanks for the update. 

Do you think the bowel surgery affect your bowel function in the long run, or will it heal up without issue? 

Your comment about the existence of a medication not necessarily translating into GETTING the drug resonated with me. Some of my friends and family was so thrilled to read this years' New Yorker article about immune therapies. It was a bit painful in some ways, as we all know that miraculous results weren't always the norm, and that it's not quite as simple as just 'ordering up' a treatment that might be available in a phase II trial, for example!

But: I pray that we will reap the benefits of the hard work of those in the lab, and that you will be among them.

Best,

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                                  Participant

Do you think the bowel surgery affect your bowel function in the long run, or will it heal up without issue? 

Your comment about the existence of a medication not necessarily translating into GETTING the drug resonated with me. Some of my friends and family was so thrilled to read this years' New Yorker article about immune therapies. It was a bit painful in some ways, as we all know that miraculous results weren't always the norm, and that it's not quite as simple as just 'ordering up' a treatment that might be available in a phase II trial, for example!

But: I pray that we will reap the benefits of the hard work of those in the lab, and that you will be among them.

Best,

Ursula

benp
                                      Participant

Thanks Ursula!

I think the bowel function will (has!) return to normal. I know what you mean about articles like the one in the New Yorker… people read these and think that a cure is more likely than not for a single treatment. It feels very uncomfortable correcting them, so usually I just leave it.

Good luck to you too!

Ben.

benp
                                        Participant

Thanks Ursula!

I think the bowel function will (has!) return to normal. I know what you mean about articles like the one in the New Yorker… people read these and think that a cure is more likely than not for a single treatment. It feels very uncomfortable correcting them, so usually I just leave it.

Good luck to you too!

Ben.

benp
                                          Participant

Thanks Ursula!

Good luck to you too!

Ben.

UrsulaZ
                                          Participant

Best,

Ursula

Eileen L
                                            Participant
                                              Ben, I am currently in the Roche/Genentech BrAf/Mek inhibitor trial. I believe there is an arm of the trial for folks who have been on Braf inhibitors alone and have progressed. If you are only on the Braf inhibitor currently you may qualify.

Good luck moving forward!
                                              Eileen

Eileen L
                                              Participant
                                                Ben, I am currently in the Roche/Genentech BrAf/Mek inhibitor trial. I believe there is an arm of the trial for folks who have been on Braf inhibitors alone and have progressed. If you are only on the Braf inhibitor currently you may qualify.

Eileen

benp
                                                  Participant

Thanks Eileen, I'll look into it. I think the GSK version of this study is currently closed, at least for prior use of a BRAF inhibitor.

mommydog
                                                    Participant
                                                      My husband was on the GSK b-raf trial with randomized MEK ( he had the highest dosage) and after being NED after nine months developed resistance to the drug or drugs, and developed several brain mets, had two craniotomies and has lost the use of the left side of his body.
                                                      He is now having Yervoy infusions and is taking Zelboraf. Too early to see if anything is working. His onc at Ucsf had a patient who was not successful on the gsk braf inhibitor, but responded to zelboraf. Who knows.
                                                      mommydog
                                                      Participant
                                                        My husband was on the GSK b-raf trial with randomized MEK ( he had the highest dosage) and after being NED after nine months developed resistance to the drug or drugs, and developed several brain mets, had two craniotomies and has lost the use of the left side of his body.
                                                        He is now having Yervoy infusions and is taking Zelboraf. Too early to see if anything is working. His onc at Ucsf had a patient who was not successful on the gsk braf inhibitor, but responded to zelboraf. Who knows.
                                                        mommydog
                                                        Participant
                                                          benp
                                                          Participant

I'm really sorry to hear of what your husband has been through, and hope that the current therapy holds a more durable response. It seems really strange that one BRAFi could work and not the other (but it can be good!). I'd love to know how your husband goes on Zelbo.

Good luck, 

Ben.

benp
                                                            Participant

I'm really sorry to hear of what your husband has been through, and hope that the current therapy holds a more durable response. It seems really strange that one BRAFi could work and not the other (but it can be good!). I'd love to know how your husband goes on Zelbo.

Good luck, 

Ben.

benp
                                                              Participant

Good luck, 

Ben.

benp
                                                                Participant

Thanks Eileen, I'll look into it. I think the GSK version of this study is currently closed, at least for prior use of a BRAF inhibitor.

benp
                                                                  Participant

Eileen L
                                                                  Participant

Eileen

Jin
                                                                    Participant

Hello Ben,

All very best to you. 

My husband, Chris, was on a trial for the GSK Braf inhibitor by itself.  Did well for a year and then his last scans showed some progression.  He was immediately put off the trial and could not continue with the GSK drug.  I'm wondering if you are still on the Braf/Mek trial or if you are getting "compassionate use" of the GSK drug somehow.  Chris is currently taking Zelboraf but is getting joint pain that is becoming intolerable.  We'd love to get him back on the GSK drug in the hope that it will still hold things back for awhile. 

Many thanks,

Jan

Jin
                                                                      Participant

Hello Ben,

All very best to you. 

My husband, Chris, was on a trial for the GSK Braf inhibitor by itself.  Did well for a year and then his last scans showed some progression.  He was immediately put off the trial and could not continue with the GSK drug.  I'm wondering if you are still on the Braf/Mek trial or if you are getting "compassionate use" of the GSK drug somehow.  Chris is currently taking Zelboraf but is getting joint pain that is becoming intolerable.  We'd love to get him back on the GSK drug in the hope that it will still hold things back for awhile. 

Many thanks,

Jan

Jin
                                                                        Participant

Hello Ben,

All very best to you. 

Many thanks,

Jan

benp
                                                                            Participant

Hi Jan, 

I was not actually on the combo trial, but rather just the BRAF drug by itself. I have been pulled from the trial, though will be continuing on the drug, I assume through compassionate use. 

Sorry to hear about the joint pain. The side effects for Zelboraf seem much worse. I'd love to hear if Chris is responding to Zelboraf after developing some resitance to GSK's BRAFi.

Thanks, 

Ben.

benp
                                                                              Participant

Hi Jan, 

I was not actually on the combo trial, but rather just the BRAF drug by itself. I have been pulled from the trial, though will be continuing on the drug, I assume through compassionate use. 

Sorry to hear about the joint pain. The side effects for Zelboraf seem much worse. I'd love to hear if Chris is responding to Zelboraf after developing some resitance to GSK's BRAFi.

Thanks, 

Ben.

benp
                                                                                Participant

Hi Jan, 

Thanks, 

Ben.

Jin
                                                                                Participant

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm thinking you and Chris were on the same trial.  He was at UCSF so maybe different locations but same trial.  I so hope that you can get compassionate use of the GSK drug.  We've tried everything.  UCSF says it's not available.  GSK says it's not available.  So, would love to know if you are able to get it.  So far (two weeks in) Chris has had a lot more joint pain on Zelboraf but it seems to be shifting around to different places and some of it has vanished.  For the last three days he's been running a fever (he had the same with the GSK drug).  Fever should end soon if it's like the GSK drug.  We're hoping that's an indication it's working.  Hmmmm.

He also had his first infusion of Yervoy a week ago. 

We're really hoping to get him on a Pd-1 or PD-L1 trial if his brain can show 8 wks stable at some point.  So far, haven't found any trials that allow active brain mets and we've been looking everywhere.  I have heard rumors one may open in a few months.  He had Gamma Knife three weeks ago for 14 very small mets in his brain. 

I'm not sure why I'm writing all this to you.  Something connected.  Please don't feel a need to respond if you don't want to or have the time.  I mean it.  I'll let you know if we find a new trial that seems interesting.  If it's of interest my e-mail is:  [email protected]

This is a rocky trail we're on but we have great companions and the vistas are extraordinary.

Jan

Jin
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm thinking you and Chris were on the same trial.  He was at UCSF so maybe different locations but same trial.  I so hope that you can get compassionate use of the GSK drug.  We've tried everything.  UCSF says it's not available.  GSK says it's not available.  So, would love to know if you are able to get it.  So far (two weeks in) Chris has had a lot more joint pain on Zelboraf but it seems to be shifting around to different places and some of it has vanished.  For the last three days he's been running a fever (he had the same with the GSK drug).  Fever should end soon if it's like the GSK drug.  We're hoping that's an indication it's working.  Hmmmm.

We're really hoping to get him on a Pd-1 or PD-L1 trial if his brain can show 8 wks stable at some point.  So far, haven't found any trials that allow active brain mets and we've been looking everywhere.  I have heard rumors one may open in a few months.  He had Gamma Knife three weeks ago for 14 very small mets in his brain. 

I'm not sure why I'm writing all this to you.  Something connected.  Please don't feel a need to respond if you don't want to or have the time.  I mean it.  I'll let you know if we find a new trial that seems interesting.  If it's of interest my e-mail is:  [email protected]

This is a rocky trail we're on but we have great companions and the vistas are extraordinary.

Jan

Jin
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Ben,

Jan

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics