The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on next steps

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on next steps

Participant

Hi guys-

Thought I'd check in after my visit at MD Anderson. Looking at a t-cell trial with Il-2 followed by ipi. A bit different than trial that I do qualify for at Loyola Universiy Med Center. Not sure which would be better as they do cell modification at Loyola. Either way I have to have the specific HLA expression and Mart-1 to even get in trial at MD. Friday afternoon apt wasn't ideal but started moving things along….I hate the waiting, it's difficult. They're also setting me up with surgeon to harvest tumor for possible TIL in future. They offered that but they're out until Aug/Sept as they only can do 2 patients per month. I hate the decisions, the waiting…what's best etc.. Thank you Ed for sharing a bunch of info in a previous post. The TCR and TIL therapies sound promising but doesn't seem much better than PD-1 in terms of response. In future the doc said things will probably only improve as they learn to tweak with modifications, combine other therapies. At this point being wild type, what are my options? We all need research and options to accelerate….I know myself and many others would like to see kids grow up…maybe meet a grandchild. Sorry, tired and rambling. Thank you to everyone for support, sharing info and giving inspiration. Praying for all of you!

Josh

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Corinne
        Participant

Hi Josh,

I was thinking about you and praying for you yesterday. My husband was there too–all day. We are so grateful for living in Houston. 

Thanks for your update on treatment options for you. With my limited ability to absorb all of the information out there, I count on people like you, Celeste, and others who take the time to remind us of what my husband may be facing next. My love is Stage 3C with three more months on targeted therapy with Dabrafenib/Trametinib combo. He has currently NED but dealing with eye issues from side effects.

The effort to beat this beast is tiring and stressful, but just know how much others admire your blazing the trail for those about to walk in your path.  I send prayers for you to experience peace and joy–day by day.

Corinne (wife of my Randy)

Corinne
          Participant

Hi Josh,

I was thinking about you and praying for you yesterday. My husband was there too–all day. We are so grateful for living in Houston. 

Thanks for your update on treatment options for you. With my limited ability to absorb all of the information out there, I count on people like you, Celeste, and others who take the time to remind us of what my husband may be facing next. My love is Stage 3C with three more months on targeted therapy with Dabrafenib/Trametinib combo. He has currently NED but dealing with eye issues from side effects.

The effort to beat this beast is tiring and stressful, but just know how much others admire your blazing the trail for those about to walk in your path.  I send prayers for you to experience peace and joy–day by day.

Corinne
            Participant

Hi Josh,

SABKLYN
              Participant

Hey Josh!

Seems like a productive trip and also looks like MDA is giving you some real aggressive options…that's great!  The waiting sucks as we all know and have endured in some form or fashion, but the menu of choices seems to have opened up considerably..  The tumor harvesting if nothing lose would serve as a good backup -curious if they were harvested from your last procedure – but in any case, you have some strong therapeutic options!  

I've read over and over again on this site, that it's a matter of finding the therapy (or combination of therapies) best suited to your immune system.  With all that I've read from your journey, you're giving yourself the best chance for a positive outcome!!

You have the collective prayers and good vibes from our community of warriors.  Good luck in your decision and keep us posted!

All the best,

Stan

SABKLYN
                Participant

Hey Josh!

Seems like a productive trip and also looks like MDA is giving you some real aggressive options…that's great!  The waiting sucks as we all know and have endured in some form or fashion, but the menu of choices seems to have opened up considerably..  The tumor harvesting if nothing lose would serve as a good backup -curious if they were harvested from your last procedure – but in any case, you have some strong therapeutic options!  

I've read over and over again on this site, that it's a matter of finding the therapy (or combination of therapies) best suited to your immune system.  With all that I've read from your journey, you're giving yourself the best chance for a positive outcome!!

You have the collective prayers and good vibes from our community of warriors.  Good luck in your decision and keep us posted!

All the best,

Stan

SABKLYN
                  Participant

Hey Josh!

All the best,

Stan

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Joshie,

I bet you are completely worn out…trying to heal from major surgery…doc appointments at a huge institution….trying to understand what different sources are saying…trying to decide the next step to take….especially when all steps seem to suck in significant ways! Man! I remember when searching for my trial/treatment….ALL of the above so well! Even being a medical person…after every visit, my sister or my husband and I would sit in the airport, scribbling madly on bits of paper, trying to recall exactly what had been said….trying to clarify what things meant. It is hard work! Then you add in all the other stuff….

Do wish they would/could use the tumor recently removed for your potential TIL therapy! Institutional crappola! I hate for you to have to go through another surgery…even a minor one! Oh well…

Depite all the misery and madness, I am sure your best path will become clear for you. We are all rooting for you. Hang in there. Breathe. Continue to heal. Much love, c

JoshF
                        Participant

You understand so well Celeste. I think I can speak for all of us, we so look forward to your responses that either have great info or just kind, caring inspirational words for us! Love you! Xoxo

Josh

JoshF
                          Participant

You understand so well Celeste. I think I can speak for all of us, we so look forward to your responses that either have great info or just kind, caring inspirational words for us! Love you! Xoxo

Josh

JoshF
                            Participant

Josh

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Joshie,

I bet you are completely worn out…trying to heal from major surgery…doc appointments at a huge institution….trying to understand what different sources are saying…trying to decide the next step to take….especially when all steps seem to suck in significant ways! Man! I remember when searching for my trial/treatment….ALL of the above so well! Even being a medical person…after every visit, my sister or my husband and I would sit in the airport, scribbling madly on bits of paper, trying to recall exactly what had been said….trying to clarify what things meant. It is hard work! Then you add in all the other stuff….

Do wish they would/could use the tumor recently removed for your potential TIL therapy! Institutional crappola! I hate for you to have to go through another surgery…even a minor one! Oh well…

Depite all the misery and madness, I am sure your best path will become clear for you. We are all rooting for you. Hang in there. Breathe. Continue to heal. Much love, c

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hey Joshie,

Mat
                                Participant

Josh, sounds like a good plan.  When I visited MDA last September, the first choice seemed to be the trial you're describing, but I didn't have the "right" HLA type.  As you're doing, I would definitely do the TIL harvest.  I had one in November, but they weren't able to grow cells.  Not a big deal, as they tumor they harvested had been radiated previousl and I knew the chances were lower than normal.  If necessary, I would attempt another harvest at MDA in a second.  (By the way, as hospital food goes, MDA is like a five star restaurant.  Impressive selection too.)

Mat
                                  Participant

Josh, sounds like a good plan.  When I visited MDA last September, the first choice seemed to be the trial you're describing, but I didn't have the "right" HLA type.  As you're doing, I would definitely do the TIL harvest.  I had one in November, but they weren't able to grow cells.  Not a big deal, as they tumor they harvested had been radiated previousl and I knew the chances were lower than normal.  If necessary, I would attempt another harvest at MDA in a second.  (By the way, as hospital food goes, MDA is like a five star restaurant.  Impressive selection too.)

Mat
                                    Participant

JoshF
                                        Participant

Hey Mat…there was or is some confusion on my HLA type. I'm HLA-A2 but there's something else they're looking at. Definitely doing tumor harvest but I've heard MD does replicate TIL like NIH. All so confusing….I just want to start punching this crap back….scared, frustrated….all the above. I was so happy to hear ipi-nivo was doing its work for you! Keep it rolling brother!

Josh

JoshF
                                          Participant

Hey Mat…there was or is some confusion on my HLA type. I'm HLA-A2 but there's something else they're looking at. Definitely doing tumor harvest but I've heard MD does replicate TIL like NIH. All so confusing….I just want to start punching this crap back….scared, frustrated….all the above. I was so happy to hear ipi-nivo was doing its work for you! Keep it rolling brother!

Josh

JoshF
                                            Participant

Josh

jenny22
                                            Participant

Hi Josh- So happy to see your update.  As everyone has already said, the decisions and waiting are soooo hard….even processing all the info from multiple opinions… but so important and glad you are able to travel and get some of the best thinkers, DOCs, etc in your corner.

Sorry you have to wait a couple of months for TIL Harvest but glad thats an option.

As always you have gotten some great info from many here…..

Thinking of you…..hope you are starting to recover from your last surgery and looking forward to next steps.

Always wishing you well.

jenny

jenny22
                                              Participant

Hi Josh- So happy to see your update.  As everyone has already said, the decisions and waiting are soooo hard….even processing all the info from multiple opinions… but so important and glad you are able to travel and get some of the best thinkers, DOCs, etc in your corner.

Sorry you have to wait a couple of months for TIL Harvest but glad thats an option.

Thinking of you…..hope you are starting to recover from your last surgery and looking forward to next steps.

Always wishing you well.

jenny

jenny22
                                                Participant

Always wishing you well.

jenny

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics