The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on My Status – From a Stage IV Survivor

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on My Status – From a Stage IV Survivor

Participant

Hello to everyone. I haven't been on the board lately, but wanted to let folks know what was happening. I had my six month scans a few weeks ago and unfortunately an adrenal gland tumor that had been there for three years and fairly inactive decided to almost double in size to 5.4cm. So I am off for a FNB this afternoon and depending on results will probably be looking at some change in treatment. Right now I am leaning towards getting the sucker out since it seems to be the only active tumor in my body, but have been in conversations with Dr.

Hello to everyone. I haven't been on the board lately, but wanted to let folks know what was happening. I had my six month scans a few weeks ago and unfortunately an adrenal gland tumor that had been there for three years and fairly inactive decided to almost double in size to 5.4cm. So I am off for a FNB this afternoon and depending on results will probably be looking at some change in treatment. Right now I am leaning towards getting the sucker out since it seems to be the only active tumor in my body, but have been in conversations with Dr. Daud at UCSF about perhaps trying a trial of BRAF and MEK. Could be a benign tumor, but since the beast likes the adrenal gland I am thinking more probably mel than not.

For those of you who don't know me, I was diagnosed Stage IV in September, 2007 and my initial treatment was chemotherapy coupled with Nexavar. I was one of the lucky few that responded to this regime.  I have continued to take the Nexavar. I have two tumors in my lungs which shrung and then haven't  grown in about three years so unsure if they are even active. The pesky adrenal tumor showed up in February, 2009 and has been slowly growing until it had its recent little growth spurt.

There is hope, life and joy after a stage IV diagnosis! I am feeling very positive and belief that I will be around for quite awhile. Love and prayers always are gratefully accepted.

Thanks to everyone on this board who have been so supportive and kind. This is an amazing place.

Love and gratitude,

Eileen L

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Eileen you have my prayers .YOU will be around for a very long time.My love to you and your partner in this endeavor.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Eileen you have my prayers .YOU will be around for a very long time.My love to you and your partner in this endeavor.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

jag
              Participant

Eileen,

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that you are going to have to get ready for another round, but it definitely sounds like you have the right attitude. Now get in there and put up your dukes!

J.

jag
                Participant

Eileen,

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that you are going to have to get ready for another round, but it definitely sounds like you have the right attitude. Now get in there and put up your dukes!

J.

jag
                  Participant

Eileen,

J.

runnergirl
                    Participant

My stage IV husband's oncologist recommends surgical tx of individual melanomas and chemo after the surgery is no longer an option.  Thanks for the name of the chemo that you were on; something new for us to look up.

runnergirl
                      Participant

My stage IV husband's oncologist recommends surgical tx of individual melanomas and chemo after the surgery is no longer an option.  Thanks for the name of the chemo that you were on; something new for us to look up.

runnergirl
                          Participant

Misspelled one word:  MELASUCKANOMA!

runnergirl
                            Participant

runnergirl
                              Participant

runnergirl
                              Participant

hope4cure1
                                Participant

Hi Eileen,

Looks like your melanoma can be kept in check.  Good luck on your next round.  Thank you for your inspiration!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                  Participant

Hi Eileen,

Looks like your melanoma can be kept in check.  Good luck on your next round.  Thank you for your inspiration!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                    Participant

Hi Eileen,

Hope

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

Thanks so much for your update.  It gives us stage iv folks hope!  I agree with the first approach of if it's just one – cut the sucker out! 

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Erin

Erinmay22
                                          Participant

Thanks so much for your update.  It gives us stage iv folks hope!  I agree with the first approach of if it's just one – cut the sucker out! 

Erin

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

amen to that Erinmay ! thanks for letting us know

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

boots

boot2aboot
                                                Participant

boots

Erinmay22
                                                  Participant

Erin

lhaley
                                                  Participant

You know my thoughts are with you. Get that sucker cut out of you and keep on enjoying life!

Linda

lhaley
                                                    Participant

You know my thoughts are with you. Get that sucker cut out of you and keep on enjoying life!

Linda

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Linda

MaryD
                                                        Participant

Hi Eileen,

I remember you and we met at a CPMC melanoma symposium a couple of years ago.   So sorry to hear about the increase in size of the adrenal  tumor but overall, it sounds like you have been doing really well.   Depending on the outcome, I'm sure Dr. Daud will have some good ideas and if it is mel, it does sound like a good idea to get it out.

Let us know how things work out and we'll be cheering you on!

Mary

MaryD
                                                          Participant

Hi Eileen,

I remember you and we met at a CPMC melanoma symposium a couple of years ago.   So sorry to hear about the increase in size of the adrenal  tumor but overall, it sounds like you have been doing really well.   Depending on the outcome, I'm sure Dr. Daud will have some good ideas and if it is mel, it does sound like a good idea to get it out.

Mary

Eileen L
                                                              Participant

Thanks for the encouragement Mary. I remember you from the conference! It's great to hear from you.

Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                Participant

Thanks for the encouragement Mary. I remember you from the conference! It's great to hear from you.

Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                  Participant

Eileen

MaryD
                                                                  Participant

Hi Eileen,

Mary

King
                                                                    Participant

Hi Eileen,

It's good to hear from you.  I'm sorry to hear about the growth of the adrenal tumor but hopefully it can be taken care of quickly.  Are you BRAF positive?  I know your plan was to do some traveling and enjoy each day.  Stay positive and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Stay Strong
                                                                      King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                                      Participant

Hi Eileen,

It's good to hear from you.  I'm sorry to hear about the growth of the adrenal tumor but hopefully it can be taken care of quickly.  Are you BRAF positive?  I know your plan was to do some traveling and enjoy each day.  Stay positive and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Stay Strong
                                                                        King

King
                                                                        Participant

Hi Eileen,

Stay Strong
                                                                          King

Eileen L
                                                                            Participant

Hi, King. Yes, I am BRAF positive. Dr. Daud had one of my tumors tested a few years ago. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Always appreciated.

Warmly,

Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                              Participant

Hi, King. Yes, I am BRAF positive. Dr. Daud had one of my tumors tested a few years ago. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Always appreciated.

Warmly,

Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                                Participant

Warmly,

Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                                Participant

Thanks to all for their good wishes. I am doing fine after the biopsy. It was so easy! In and out in less than an hour, the procedure itself took about ten minutes. Then about 45 minutes "recovering" from the drugs. Worse part was having to miss lunch. Was I ever hungry!

Love to all!

Eileen L

Stage IV

Eileen L
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks to all for their good wishes. I am doing fine after the biopsy. It was so easy! In and out in less than an hour, the procedure itself took about ten minutes. Then about 45 minutes "recovering" from the drugs. Worse part was having to miss lunch. Was I ever hungry!

Love to all!

Eileen L

Stage IV

Eileen L
                                                                                    Participant

Love to all!

Eileen L

Stage IV

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Eileen – i’ll be thinking about you and hoping for good outcomes. Stay strong and give this thing a serious battle. David
                                                                                        davidfromsingapore
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Eileen – i’ll be thinking about you and hoping for good outcomes. Stay strong and give this thing a serious battle. David
                                                                                          davidfromsingapore
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            JerryfromFauq
                                                                                            Participant

Remember your telling me  in 2007 about your aim to reach the birthday in 2009.  Well, you are half way thru the next 5 year group now.  Keep on rolling GAL !  Maybe one day we'll get to see each other again.

Eileen L
                                                                                                Participant

Hi, Jerry. Just celebrated my 60th in January! I am now aiming for 65. I would definitely be up for another gathering if anyone has the time and energy to put something together. Hope you are doing well. I know you have had many challenges over the past year or so. I don't write on the board often, but I lurk on occasion.

Take care. You are in my thoughts frequently!

Warmly, Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi, Jerry. Just celebrated my 60th in January! I am now aiming for 65. I would definitely be up for another gathering if anyone has the time and energy to put something together. Hope you are doing well. I know you have had many challenges over the past year or so. I don't write on the board often, but I lurk on occasion.

Warmly, Eileen

Eileen L
                                                                                                    Participant

Warmly, Eileen

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                    Participant

Remember your telling me  in 2007 about your aim to reach the birthday in 2009.  Well, you are half way thru the next 5 year group now.  Keep on rolling GAL !  Maybe one day we'll get to see each other again.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                      Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                                                        Participant

Keep up that attitude! Best wishes for you on this latest adventure.

CLPrice31
                                                                                                          Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics