The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on my neoadjuvant treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on my neoadjuvant treatment

Participant

Hi! 

I’ve had 2 rounds of ipi/VX15/2503 as neoadjuvant treatment for Stage 3B, primary unknown.  My scans are May 1 and neck dissection surgery May 6.  

My side effects are rash and fatigue. Bad fatigue – I’m getting more tests for that. Rash is responding to the steroid cream. 

The great news is the big lymph node in my neck that started this journey is noticeably smaller.   I know the scans are the definitive measurement but externally it is a dramatic difference.  

It’s a clinical trial so fingers crossed this is a good sign for all of us.  

I just couldn’t wait to share.  I’ll let you know what the scans show.  

I’m feeling hopeful!

Lucy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Lucy, you have to love "Science" neo adjuvant before surgery treatment to see if a new drug works to increase T-cell getting into tumor!!! Makes a lot of sense to me, and the trial set up is pretty interesting with arms of the trial having ipi + VX15/2503(pepinemab) and another arm having nivo+ vx15/2503, and a third arm having combination of ipi+nivo vx15/2503. I am sure you have done your own reading on this topic but I thought that i might include two links for those who have not seen the study. It looks like it is only being offered at Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta at the present time. Best Wishes!!! Ed http://www.vaccinex.com/development-programs/vx15-immuno-oncology/

Lucygoose
          Participant

There are other neoadjuvant trials with different drugs at other sites.  MD Anderson is doing NIVI plus an Anti-LAG3.  I considered this one. Hiwever, I live in Atlanta and I also just ‘clicked’ with the doctors at Emory.  Don’t get me wrong, MD Anderson docs were very nice, very excited about their study, extremely knowledgeable and are tops in the field.  I recommend them highly.  I also recommend my docs at Emory Winship highly.  

I am not familiar with other neoadjuvant studies but it’s a hot topic and I am sure the other big centers are doing them.  

Does anyone know if Sloan Kettering or other sites have neoadjuvant studies underway?

lucy

Linny
            Participant

So happy to hear that the troublemaker lymph node has shrunk in size!!!! If you can notice it externally, it sounds to me like the official internal shrinkage should also be noticeable, as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that the scans will confirm the shrinkage.

The fatigue has to stink, but that's a temporary situation. Is there anything you can to do manage the fatigue?

Hukill
              Participant

I would say your immune system is reacting. My rash appeared the second week and is still here 35 months later. The fatuige is horrible and probably my worse side effect. My last treatment was in August 2018 and the fatuige has not let up at all and has a huge effect on my life.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics