The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Joslyn in Canada

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Joslyn in Canada

Participant

Hi everyone!

Well I'm home from the hospital and have had my first homecare visit. The surgery (left inguinal dissection) went well. My surgeon only took the superficial nodes because there was no macro evidence of cancer. She was also able to save the vein. Thank you, God, for a skilled surgeon!

I feel well but need to remember my energy will have its limitations for a while. I have one drain that I am able to look after myself. The goal is 20 cc per day for two days in a row.

Hi everyone!

Well I'm home from the hospital and have had my first homecare visit. The surgery (left inguinal dissection) went well. My surgeon only took the superficial nodes because there was no macro evidence of cancer. She was also able to save the vein. Thank you, God, for a skilled surgeon!

I feel well but need to remember my energy will have its limitations for a while. I have one drain that I am able to look after myself. The goal is 20 cc per day for two days in a row.

From a pathology point of view, I expect the results by June 17 from two new biopsies by my dermatologist took on June 8. There may be a provisional pathology report around the same time from the surgery and another biopsy taken by the surgeon in a different spot while I was under general anesthetic. I expect the final pathology report from the surgery the week of June 27th.

In the meantime, I'm focusing, or trying to, on recovery from the surgery and in doing all of the right things for lymphedema risk management. My surgeon has referred me to a physiotherapist who specializes in CDT. I hope to meet with that team this week. In the interim, I'm wearing a compression stocking on both legs and keeping the left leg elevated as instructed by the hospital medical team.

So far so good and I am determined to maintain my optimism.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Glad to hear that you are home.  Also good news that your surgeon has referred you to a physiotherapist who specialized in CDT.  They will measure your leg as soon as possible and in that way, they will be able to keep an eye on 'swelling'.  I hope you don't end up with lymphedema but on the other hand, it can be manageable.  I pray you had a successful surgery and that melanoma has been stopped in its tracks.  Val, stage IV

Lisa13
            Participant

I also hope that your pathology report is good and your melanoma won't be back for a VERY long time.

I had all the superficial nodes removed on the right side and had no lymphedema at all since surgery in February.  I sat on a 45 degree angle for 2 weeks which I think helped alot! I was draining 200cc a day in the beginning, so your 20cc in 2 days seems very small compared to mine. My drain was in for 4 weeks and when it came out I was free! 

Best of luck to you.

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
              Participant

I also hope that your pathology report is good and your melanoma won't be back for a VERY long time.

I had all the superficial nodes removed on the right side and had no lymphedema at all since surgery in February.  I sat on a 45 degree angle for 2 weeks which I think helped alot! I was draining 200cc a day in the beginning, so your 20cc in 2 days seems very small compared to mine. My drain was in for 4 weeks and when it came out I was free! 

Best of luck to you.

Lisa – Stage 4

ValinMtl
              Participant

Glad to hear that you are home.  Also good news that your surgeon has referred you to a physiotherapist who specialized in CDT.  They will measure your leg as soon as possible and in that way, they will be able to keep an eye on 'swelling'.  I hope you don't end up with lymphedema but on the other hand, it can be manageable.  I pray you had a successful surgery and that melanoma has been stopped in its tracks.  Val, stage IV

jimjoeb
                Participant

Thanks to both of you for your support and my best wishes to you as well!

I was fortunate to get an appointment today for the first assessment with the physio therapist. I want to continue to be active, so anything that I can do do manage the risk will make sense to me. I'll provide an update about the plan.

The drain system is a lot less bulky than I imagined it to be. It's pretty straightforward to empty and measure it twice a day. There already seems to progress in the volume and the colour (less pink). I like to think that it's because I have a strong immune system and perhaps because of the homeopathics that I am taking to complement the medical treatments. Because of some of those homeopathics, I didn't need any of the medication for pain that was prescribed, and there is almost no bruising or swelling.

Now for those pathology reports…….

jimjoeb
                  Participant

Thanks to both of you for your support and my best wishes to you as well!

I was fortunate to get an appointment today for the first assessment with the physio therapist. I want to continue to be active, so anything that I can do do manage the risk will make sense to me. I'll provide an update about the plan.

The drain system is a lot less bulky than I imagined it to be. It's pretty straightforward to empty and measure it twice a day. There already seems to progress in the volume and the colour (less pink). I like to think that it's because I have a strong immune system and perhaps because of the homeopathics that I am taking to complement the medical treatments. Because of some of those homeopathics, I didn't need any of the medication for pain that was prescribed, and there is almost no bruising or swelling.

Now for those pathology reports…….

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics