The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Don Lee

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Don Lee

Participant

It has been months since I've posted something about our roller-coaster ride with melanoma. My Don has had one issue after another since his diagnosis in January of 2013, Stage IV. He finally started on Merck's expanded access to Anti-PD1 in late June, and at this point after five infusions it appears that he is not responding to the treatment. The mets in his lower abdomen appear to be growing and causing even more problems.

It breaks my heart to see this beautiful man suffer so, and to see his robust, healthy 200+ pound body deteriorate to a skeletal 130 pounds. Dr. Hodi at Dana Farber is now saying no more PD1 until he feels stronger. He has been in so much pain for so long, I think it has just sapped too much out of him.

Don has now been in the hospital for one month. He had an epidural catheter placed so that he gets continuous pain medication directly into his spine instead of taking all those pills and being affected by the pain meds mentally. The theory is to get him out of pain so that he can regain some strength to continue treatments.

However, now the catheter is causing him pretty significant discomfort and he is once again in too much pain to move much. And after being bedridden for a month, there's not much strength there at all.

As always, we appreciate any feedback, common experiences, helpful anecdotes.

I started writing an email to our friends and relatives right after Don was diagnosed, more so I knew I what I said to whom. I later started posting on one of those "caring" websites. It occurred to me that some of you may be interested these updates, so I'll give you the link here:

https://www.mylifeline.org/donlee

Keep up the good fight everyone. Good night.

Janet Lee

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics