The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on dad

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on dad

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

It has been some time since I last posted.  My dad finished his last Yervoy treatment in mid-November. After Thanksgiving, he was hospitalized for 10 days due to what his oncologist think was a severe side effect from Yervoy.  His sodium level dropped and he was weak and confused and didnt know who he was and who we were. his oncologist thinks that Yervoy caused imflammation in a part of his brain which regulates his sodium level. He was given sodium via IV and treated with steroids to reduce the imflammation in his brain.  He was on salt tablets after he was discharged from the hospital and had his salt level followed through bloodwork for a few weeks to make sure it returned to normal. Dad is ok now but it was really scary.

We dont yet know whether Yervoy worked for him, his lesions dont appear to flatten or regress. They dont seem to have gotten bigger either so we are hoping that Yervoy is keepin them at bay.  His oncologist has told us that he can only offer us decarbazine and didnt think dad can qualify for clincial trials due to his age. We have delayed the 16 week scans and will go for the 20 week scans.  At this point, we dont really want to know the results of the scans since there are no more options available. We hope dad's melanoma is not aggressive and we will just wait and see. Dad is still itchy from the Yervoy and still has to take his itchy medication.

Thank you everyone for your support and advice.

Chau

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Chau, thanks for the update on your dad. I have had another look at his profile, and it mentions that he is stage 3. Since he has the c-kit mutation, I wonder what type or sub type of melanoma he actually has?

As I might have mentioned before, PV-10 or Imiquimod (Aldara) could be more suitable options if there are no internal tumours at the moment.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Chau, thanks for the update on your dad. I have had another look at his profile, and it mentions that he is stage 3. Since he has the c-kit mutation, I wonder what type or sub type of melanoma he actually has?

As I might have mentioned before, PV-10 or Imiquimod (Aldara) could be more suitable options if there are no internal tumours at the moment.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics