The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on dad and questions about blood transfusion

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on dad and questions about blood transfusion

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

My dad has stopped treatment for the mel on his leg, his last treatment was Yervoy which he finished late November 2011. His oncologist said dad has a mixed response.  While his existing lesions have gotten bigger and begun to bleed more, it doesnt seem like his lesions have moved upward to his upper leg and there are no symptoms of organ involvement (I cant remember his last scans but they must have been 3-6 months ago and were clear). Since his lesions are continuously bleeding, he had multiple infections and was hospitalized 3 times and was given antibiotics and blood transfusion.  He is weaker now and tires easily although he is mentally very alert.  Each time he was hospitalized, his hemoglobin was in th 8-9 range and after the blood transfusions, it goes up to normal 12 and he gets his energy back. His oncologist said there is nothing they can do to stop/control the bleeding. 

Has anyone had blood transfusions and does it stop working at some point?  

I would really appreciate any ideas, or thoughts or questions that we should ask his doctor.

Thank you.

Chau 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi Chau,

Thanks for message on my earlier post. I'm sorry its such a hard road to be on, seeing you loved one go through this. It must be very confronting to see the lesions and painful for your father. I cannot offer any medical advice but I hope that they find some control of the bleeding and you get some quality time with your dad.

It's such a sad time and I'm sorry you too are going through this.

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Hi Chau,

Thanks for message on my earlier post. I'm sorry its such a hard road to be on, seeing you loved one go through this. It must be very confronting to see the lesions and painful for your father. I cannot offer any medical advice but I hope that they find some control of the bleeding and you get some quality time with your dad.

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Hi Chau,

All the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Chau, I am sorry to read this. Have you asked the oncologist about Imiquimod (Aldara)?
                See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imiquimod This is a topical medication that is
                designed to treat the types of melanoma that spread superficially. Therefore, it could
                be a suitable option if there are no internal tumours at the moment.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Chau, I am sorry to read this. Have you asked the oncologist about Imiquimod (Aldara)?
                  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imiquimod This is a topical medication that is
                  designed to treat the types of melanoma that spread superficially. Therefore, it could

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics