The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on 5 year old Spitz Atypical Spitzoid Neoplasm

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on 5 year old Spitz Atypical Spitzoid Neoplasm

Participant

Hello all,

My sons slides were sent to Sloan Kettering for expert opinion. Sloan then sent the slides out for a FISH analysis.

I received results today and now I am even more confused.  The new diagnosis is "atypical compound spitz tumor, irritated; transected".  Is that the same thing as the first diagnosis?

Hello all,

My sons slides were sent to Sloan Kettering for expert opinion. Sloan then sent the slides out for a FISH analysis.

I received results today and now I am even more confused.  The new diagnosis is "atypical compound spitz tumor, irritated; transected".  Is that the same thing as the first diagnosis?

The report then goes on to say that the negative FISH test is re-assuring, but sue to the limitations in the sensitivity of the test, a negative result is not entirely definitive.  The pathologist goes on to say the a re-excision is strongly recommended along with a sentinel lymph node biopsy.  He also stated "I would also like to state that aspect of the diagnostic challenge (and hesitation to establish a definitive diagnosis) is the fact that we only see the superficial portion of an incompletely removed lesion.  We would appreciate the opportunity to review the completely excised tumor, since features of the residual tumor may be relevant for the final diagnosis."

That's not all of the report but it seems very indecisive.

Thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        malika
        Participant

Hi

I am glad to see that Sloan requested the FISH test.  Remember that the FISH test has 100% sensitivity (if the sample is melanoma, the test will detect melanoma 100% of the time) but it does not have 100% specificity.  Sometimes it will fail to detect melanoma and instead classify the sample as Spitz.   Thus, in some small percent of cases like your son's, the test will say "No melanoma" when in fact there is melanoma.  This is why there is uncertainty, but looking on the bright side, odds are that your son's "mole" is a Spitz nevus.  Most of the time, the FISH test is correct.

I would err on the side of safety and have the re-excision with sentinel lymph node biopsy.   If anything shows up in the lymph node then there is more to test with the FISH assay.  Hopefully nothing will show up and then you will have that peace of mind.  Our son has recovered faster than expected from each surgery (three); your son is likely tougher than you image (ours has been!!).  I realize this is a lot for a little guy.  For us, we needed to feel like we did everything possible so that if melanoma ever comes back, we won't regret not doing what we could at the time.

malika
          Participant

Hi

I am glad to see that Sloan requested the FISH test.  Remember that the FISH test has 100% sensitivity (if the sample is melanoma, the test will detect melanoma 100% of the time) but it does not have 100% specificity.  Sometimes it will fail to detect melanoma and instead classify the sample as Spitz.   Thus, in some small percent of cases like your son's, the test will say "No melanoma" when in fact there is melanoma.  This is why there is uncertainty, but looking on the bright side, odds are that your son's "mole" is a Spitz nevus.  Most of the time, the FISH test is correct.

I would err on the side of safety and have the re-excision with sentinel lymph node biopsy.   If anything shows up in the lymph node then there is more to test with the FISH assay.  Hopefully nothing will show up and then you will have that peace of mind.  Our son has recovered faster than expected from each surgery (three); your son is likely tougher than you image (ours has been!!).  I realize this is a lot for a little guy.  For us, we needed to feel like we did everything possible so that if melanoma ever comes back, we won't regret not doing what we could at the time.

malika
            Participant

Hi

Janner
              Participant

I think that they don't really think this is melanoma based upon the path and testing, but the testing only includes a small sample of tissue.  Pathology reports typically err on the side of caution if there is any possibility of multiple diagnoses.  Since the tumor is not completely removed, they cannot rule out melanoma in the remaining tissue.  Since the SNB ideally needs to be done before the wide excision, that is why they are recommonding your son do both as the next step.  So while all signs are currently saying benign, they are recommending treatment based on worst case scenario since the entire lesion hasn't been analyzed.  Not necessarily comforting, but erring on the side of caution which is how most of us would like to treated.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

I think that they don't really think this is melanoma based upon the path and testing, but the testing only includes a small sample of tissue.  Pathology reports typically err on the side of caution if there is any possibility of multiple diagnoses.  Since the tumor is not completely removed, they cannot rule out melanoma in the remaining tissue.  Since the SNB ideally needs to be done before the wide excision, that is why they are recommonding your son do both as the next step.  So while all signs are currently saying benign, they are recommending treatment based on worst case scenario since the entire lesion hasn't been analyzed.  Not necessarily comforting, but erring on the side of caution which is how most of us would like to treated.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics