The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update! I’m Braf +ve and -ve. Yep You read it right BOTH

Forums General Melanoma Community Update! I’m Braf +ve and -ve. Yep You read it right BOTH

Participant

I’ve known for a week or so that my primary melanoma was BRAF+ve and was told the 1 sentinel node deposit was too small to test. However today I got told the node was BRAF-ve. So no dab/tram for me and instead have been suggested Pembro(Keytruda) for a year (adjuvant therapy). Is Pembro the best option? The side effects look scary. Any advice/ comments always gratefully received. Thank you

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

I think I've shared this with you before….but this primer…

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

…breaks down all the treatments.  Pembrolizumab and Nivolizumab are both anti-PD-1 products with basically the same response rates and side effect profiles.  And while targeted therapy is being use for adjuvant treatment, immunotherapy has actually been used longer.

Here are tons of report on adjuvant therapy in all forms: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=adjuvant  

Many here have taken both of these drug categories.  I took nivo alone for 2 1/2 years in a trial with two arms…both Stage IV….one with active disease and one for those who had been rendered NED via surgery and or radiation (as I had for brain and lung mets).  With no further treatment since June of 2013, I remain NED for melanoma.

Hope this helps.  I think pembro vs nivo is basically 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Tilly1402
            Participant

Thank you Celeste. Apologies for asking twice – I feel I’m going round in circles at the moment, being hit by curve balls. But hopefully once treatment underway the chaos and fear of the unknown will subside. Thank you for your patience x

Bubbles
              Participant

No worries at all.  I just sometimes forget who I've given what to…so hated to repeat it without acknowledging it if I had already posted it for you.  Ask anything as much as you need.  Once you have a firm plan I think you will settle down into a strange, but liveable, melanoma groove!  Hang in there!  c

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Tilly, there is a good series of videos on Onclive from June 2018 at ASCO, talking about Adjuvant treatment options and what is the best way to go. https://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/advanced-melanoma-paradigms/adjuvant-therapy-options-in-melanoma

Tilly1402
                  Participant

Thank you Ed. Think I’m going to go for the adjuvant therapy of Pembro just needed to weigh it up. 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics