The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update from Caretaker/Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Update from Caretaker/Zelboraf

Participant
      Hello,
      I wrote at the end of October when my beloved, three months on Zelboraf, started exhibiting Alzheimer type symptoms. Everything spiraled out of control thereafter, until he literally lost his mind and died a violent death on Nov. 17. As my sweetheart patiently waited for Zelboraf to work, it stopped what little it was doing. He had 10 new brain lesions and the melanoma was in his spinal fluid. I actually lost him weeks before his death, as he was hallucinating, needed a “sitter” while in the hospital, and couldn’t talk or meaningfully communicate. Two grand mal seizures landed him another hospital stay, during which he lost all faculties, including the ability to swallow.
      At this point, there was nothing left except to take him home and watch him starve and dehydrate to death for six days. He had another seizure four hours prior to death, at which point green bile constantly oozed out of his mouth. Immediately following his last breath, black liquid came out, causing the hospice nurse, a great-grandmother, to declare, “Oh my God, I’ve never seen anything like this.”
      In the end, Zelboraf gave him a decent 5-6 days, if you don’t factor in fatigue. It stopped working within three months and, as others have noted, the cancer ate him up with a vengeance thereafter. The fellow who wrote that his oncologist told him Z is an end of the road drug & wouldn’t let him take it should go kiss his oncologist’s feet and praise that person’s honesty.
      I write to beg you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your research. Question your oncologist; hold his/her feet to the fire. We had absolutely no idea the end would come some quickly and horribly with all options immediately gone, including the ability to say goodbye.
      I miss him terribly. He won’t see his 60th birthday. We won’t grow old together. PLEASE don’t let this happen to your loved one/s.
      Caretaker
    Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear how your loved one took such a violent death.  I hope that time will take away the last few weeks of your memories and replace the happy ones.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I am so sorry to hear how your loved one took such a violent death.  I hope that time will take away the last few weeks of your memories and replace the happy ones.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

awillett1991
              Participant
                I am sorry to hear this happened and also that you didn’t and don’t understand how deadly and incurable melanoma is and how few options there are. I lost my father to brain mets in a couple of weeks, no goodbye, and there are certainly those dying ALOT younger than 60. I’m also sad to see you have chosen to post these grisly details on a board where people come for support and hope, especially during the holidays.

Zelboraf didn’t kill your beloved, melanoma did. Every day is a gift, not an entitlement and I will pray for you for better days.

awillett1991
                Participant
                  I am sorry to hear this happened and also that you didn’t and don’t understand how deadly and incurable melanoma is and how few options there are. I lost my father to brain mets in a couple of weeks, no goodbye, and there are certainly those dying ALOT younger than 60. I’m also sad to see you have chosen to post these grisly details on a board where people come for support and hope, especially during the holidays.

Zelboraf didn’t kill your beloved, melanoma did. Every day is a gift, not an entitlement and I will pray for you for better days.

awillett1991
                  Participant

Tina D
                    Participant

Words are just inadequate… I am SO SO SO sorry for all you have been hrough and for your tremendous loss. I know it had to take a toll on you to post this. I wish I had some great words of comfort – wish there was a way to ease your terrible pain. Thank you for caring enough to post this note.

I, too, hope that all the wonderful memories can be at the forefront of your mind as you go through this painful grief. I hope you have loved ones around you to lend shoulders, support and love.

With sadness,

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

Words are just inadequate… I am SO SO SO sorry for all you have been hrough and for your tremendous loss. I know it had to take a toll on you to post this. I wish I had some great words of comfort – wish there was a way to ease your terrible pain. Thank you for caring enough to post this note.

I, too, hope that all the wonderful memories can be at the forefront of your mind as you go through this painful grief. I hope you have loved ones around you to lend shoulders, support and love.

With sadness,

Tina

POW
                          Participant

Oh, Caretaker! I am so sorry for your loss! The physical and emotional ups and downs of the last 6 months must leave you reeling. I just wish I could take you in my arms and give you a big hug. Here– take this ((HUG)). I'm so sorry, Sweetie!

I hope you do not feel that you failed in any way by agreeing that your husband take Zelboraf. Given the advanced state of his cancer when it was diagnosed in June, there was nothing else–NOTHING–that could have worked fast enough and well enough to help him. And the Zelboraf did give him several pretty good months that he would not have otherwise had. Not enough time, of course, but some time. You and your husband made the best possible choice with Zelboraf, and that's all any of us can do. Please do not add guilt or recrimination on top of your grief. You did good!

POW
                            Participant

Oh, Caretaker! I am so sorry for your loss! The physical and emotional ups and downs of the last 6 months must leave you reeling. I just wish I could take you in my arms and give you a big hug. Here– take this ((HUG)). I'm so sorry, Sweetie!

I hope you do not feel that you failed in any way by agreeing that your husband take Zelboraf. Given the advanced state of his cancer when it was diagnosed in June, there was nothing else–NOTHING–that could have worked fast enough and well enough to help him. And the Zelboraf did give him several pretty good months that he would not have otherwise had. Not enough time, of course, but some time. You and your husband made the best possible choice with Zelboraf, and that's all any of us can do. Please do not add guilt or recrimination on top of your grief. You did good!

POW
                              Participant

Tina D
                              Participant

With sadness,

Tina

DeniseK
                                Participant

First of all I would like to say I'm sorry for what you went through.  Secondly HOW DARE YOU!!  Seriously, all of us on this website has been there for each other and we all have hope for one another!!  This is not how I want this website to be.  I know first hand how cancer can kill someone and guess what>??  Either we have cancer or love someone who does and even though this experience was horrible for you and your husband I did  NOT appreciate the horrible details.

YOu simply could have said do your research my husband and I had a horrible experience with Zeiboraf. 

Zelboraf has worked for MANY people!!  I am so sorry it did not work for you and you lost someone you loved but science is science and it DOES work!!!  Your husband may have had a more agressive cancer then some of us have, your husband sounded like it attacked his brain which would have caused several neurotic episodes, it may have nothing to do with the zelboraf.  I know people expect alot from these drugs that seem promising but the science and statistics show it doesn't work on everybody.  I am so sorry for your loss and I understand you feel angry but to post such an explicit picture was really uncalled for and I don't appreciate it!! 

Stage IV cancer is BEAT ALL THE TIME!!

WE ARE FIGHTERS!! 

DeniseK
                                  Participant

First of all I would like to say I'm sorry for what you went through.  Secondly HOW DARE YOU!!  Seriously, all of us on this website has been there for each other and we all have hope for one another!!  This is not how I want this website to be.  I know first hand how cancer can kill someone and guess what>??  Either we have cancer or love someone who does and even though this experience was horrible for you and your husband I did  NOT appreciate the horrible details.

YOu simply could have said do your research my husband and I had a horrible experience with Zeiboraf. 

Zelboraf has worked for MANY people!!  I am so sorry it did not work for you and you lost someone you loved but science is science and it DOES work!!!  Your husband may have had a more agressive cancer then some of us have, your husband sounded like it attacked his brain which would have caused several neurotic episodes, it may have nothing to do with the zelboraf.  I know people expect alot from these drugs that seem promising but the science and statistics show it doesn't work on everybody.  I am so sorry for your loss and I understand you feel angry but to post such an explicit picture was really uncalled for and I don't appreciate it!! 

WE ARE FIGHTERS!! 

DeniseK
                                    Participant

WE ARE FIGHTERS!! 

DeniseK
                                      Participant

I'm seriously traumatized by this post and cant stop crying.  My heart goes out to you for what you went through but I seriously freak out about how I may die.  I was just diagnosed over a month ago and I just can't deal with this~~ 

DeniseK
                                        Participant

I'm seriously traumatized by this post and cant stop crying.  My heart goes out to you for what you went through but I seriously freak out about how I may die.  I was just diagnosed over a month ago and I just can't deal with this~~ 

DeniseK
                                          Participant

aldakota22
                                            Participant

What a horrible way to remember your loved one.Then to describe it as you so graphicly did is just as bad.To the fighters who are on "Z" do not let this post get you down.Have been on "Z" for 14 months and it is working.Still living,loving and working with very manergable side allects.Like all medicine it does not work for everyone.But hopefully there are other avenues to try.Hang in there .Science is getting close to find treatment as a chronic disease.Reda my posts for some positive results.Like everyone here pray for answers for myself and all of this close membership/Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                              Participant

What a horrible way to remember your loved one.Then to describe it as you so graphicly did is just as bad.To the fighters who are on "Z" do not let this post get you down.Have been on "Z" for 14 months and it is working.Still living,loving and working with very manergable side allects.Like all medicine it does not work for everyone.But hopefully there are other avenues to try.Hang in there .Science is getting close to find treatment as a chronic disease.Reda my posts for some positive results.Like everyone here pray for answers for myself and all of this close membership/Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                Participant

JC
                                                  Participant

I see both sides of this.  I'm not sure why this person is getting so slammed on this board for posting their reality.  It is what it is, this is the reality for them, ignoring it or painting a rosy picture of it or sugar-coating it doesn't make it not true.  At the same time, people who come to this board don't do so to read about the suffering of others afflicted with the same disease.

JC
                                                    Participant

I see both sides of this.  I'm not sure why this person is getting so slammed on this board for posting their reality.  It is what it is, this is the reality for them, ignoring it or painting a rosy picture of it or sugar-coating it doesn't make it not true.  At the same time, people who come to this board don't do so to read about the suffering of others afflicted with the same disease.

JC
                                                      Participant

aldakota22
                                                        Participant

You can not win the fight if you start defeated.This horrible disesase like many before it can and will be defeated.Hope is what so many of us have.The mental attitude is part of the many tools that are in the arsenal to beat this one time death sentence.I intend to postoing on this site with encouraging news for many, many years.I expect the same from so many others.That also is part of the reality of melanoma.At least have the guts to use your name.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                          Participant

You can not win the fight if you start defeated.This horrible disesase like many before it can and will be defeated.Hope is what so many of us have.The mental attitude is part of the many tools that are in the arsenal to beat this one time death sentence.I intend to postoing on this site with encouraging news for many, many years.I expect the same from so many others.That also is part of the reality of melanoma.At least have the guts to use your name.Beat the Beast.   Al

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

Al

Well said.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                Participant

Al

Well said.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                  Participant

Al

Well said.

Dick

deardad
                                                                    Participant

Caretaker,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my father 4 months ago and I relive his death everyday…I miss him terribly. I feel very fortunate that my father's death was  peaceful and I am so sorry that you have such sad memories of your loved ones last days, because I understand how difficult it is to erase those last thoughts.

To those who have been upset by this post you need to realise that everyone on this website is different.  I'm sure that  it wasn't caretaker's intention to offend others with her words and I'm sure that they came purely from anger and saddness. Whatever our situation is on this board I don't think slamming someone else who is grieving is either productive or helpful. OK very graphic, very confronting….this is melanoma! Abusing others I think is very unkind…..if you don't like the content of her frankness……there's more tactful ways of saying so, without making a person feel horrible.

That's just my two bobs worth.

Nahmi

Lori C
                                                                      Participant

For those of us who have suffered losses to this disease, please understand that we can, at times, feel angry at the whole process.  Angry at melanoma.  Angry at the treatments that took a huge toll on our loved ones and did not save their lives.  Angry at the doctors who didn't do enough or couldn't do enough.  And make no mistake, this can be a very brutal thing to go through, death by melanoma.  It is our reality.  We are part of the board too.  Perhaps such posts, though, should be marked "trigger" or something to protect those who need to stay positive to have the energy for this fight.

It's a hard balance, always.  In my case, Will went through a clinical trial where he probably was randomized into the placebo wing and then could not get the drug (ipi) for compassionate use as a result.  The subsequent treatments helped but did not endure.  He went through IL 2, biochemotherapy and other combination chemos.  In the end, the melanoma overtook all of them and it was very  very difficult and yes, gruesome in some details.  But I have no idea why the drugs didn't work for him and yet do others.  I hope one day they are able to find out and tailor treatment better. 

For those of you upset by the Caretaker's post, please understand the anger that does come and try not to personalize it.  Do what you need to to protect yourself for the fight.  For some of you it will mean not reading the posts of those of us who have had bad experiences, and that's okay. 

Strength and energy and peace to all,

Lori, Caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                        Participant

For those of us who have suffered losses to this disease, please understand that we can, at times, feel angry at the whole process.  Angry at melanoma.  Angry at the treatments that took a huge toll on our loved ones and did not save their lives.  Angry at the doctors who didn't do enough or couldn't do enough.  And make no mistake, this can be a very brutal thing to go through, death by melanoma.  It is our reality.  We are part of the board too.  Perhaps such posts, though, should be marked "trigger" or something to protect those who need to stay positive to have the energy for this fight.

It's a hard balance, always.  In my case, Will went through a clinical trial where he probably was randomized into the placebo wing and then could not get the drug (ipi) for compassionate use as a result.  The subsequent treatments helped but did not endure.  He went through IL 2, biochemotherapy and other combination chemos.  In the end, the melanoma overtook all of them and it was very  very difficult and yes, gruesome in some details.  But I have no idea why the drugs didn't work for him and yet do others.  I hope one day they are able to find out and tailor treatment better. 

For those of you upset by the Caretaker's post, please understand the anger that does come and try not to personalize it.  Do what you need to to protect yourself for the fight.  For some of you it will mean not reading the posts of those of us who have had bad experiences, and that's okay. 

Lori, Caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                          Participant

Lori, Caregiver to Will

vivian
                                                                            Participant

Nahmi and Lori,

Thank you both so much for expressing what I have been feeling about caretaker's post.  No one knows the pain and fear that can be felt when watching someone you love die, until it is experienced.  I am so sorry for both of those involved – caretaker and her loved one.   Clearly she was unprepared for the possibility of such a death.  I am glad she had this place to express some of her feelings, and I hope others will continue to feel safe in doing so.

Lear

vivian
                                                                              Participant

Nahmi and Lori,

Thank you both so much for expressing what I have been feeling about caretaker's post.  No one knows the pain and fear that can be felt when watching someone you love die, until it is experienced.  I am so sorry for both of those involved – caretaker and her loved one.   Clearly she was unprepared for the possibility of such a death.  I am glad she had this place to express some of her feelings, and I hope others will continue to feel safe in doing so.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                Participant

Nahmi and Lori,

Lear

DeniseK
                                                                                  Participant

This is posted directly on the MPIP Central website—–

Welcome to MPIP — the Melanoma Patients Information Page, the oldest and most lively online community for melanoma patients. This community was started by Jeff Paterson, who is—literally— a rocket scientist.  He started MPIP in 1994, a time when the term “bulletin board” mostly meant a large piece of cork with push pins.  Jeff’s commitment began when his wife’s sister was diagnosed with melanoma and he wanted a simple online resource for the family to share information and to offer support to each other.  He realized that he had found a major unmet need, and spent thousands of hours writing code and researching online resources to provide this community for patients.

Over the years, tens of thousands of people have turned to MPIP for information, support, comfort, and friendship.  Now you are part of that network.  We hope you will find this a safe place to share your hopes and your fears, to ask your questions and to offer suggestions to others. 

This is the reason I come to this website.  I didn't "abuse" or "slam" anyone.  This person came here with obvious anger.  I was and am sincerely saddened by her obvious pain.  I only hope that she can turn her anger into compassion.  We all know either by research or are told by our doctors that none of the melanoma treatments work on everybody. 

There are people that can take the brutal graphic details and there are some of us that can't. 

DeniseK
                                                                                    Participant

Welcome to MPIP — the Melanoma Patients Information Page, the oldest and most lively online community for melanoma patients. This community was started by Jeff Paterson, who is—literally— a rocket scientist.  He started MPIP in 1994, a time when the term “bulletin board” mostly meant a large piece of cork with push pins.  Jeff’s commitment began when his wife’s sister was diagnosed with melanoma and he wanted a simple online resource for the family to share information and to offer support to each other.  He realized that he had found a major unmet need, and spent thousands of hours writing code and researching online resources to provide this community for patients.

Over the years, tens of thousands of people have turned to MPIP for information, support, comfort, and friendship.  Now you are part of that network.  We hope you will find this a safe place to share your hopes and your fears, to ask your questions and to offer suggestions to others. 

This is the reason I come to this website.  I didn't "abuse" or "slam" anyone.  This person came here with obvious anger.  I was and am sincerely saddened by her obvious pain.  I only hope that she can turn her anger into compassion.  We all know either by research or are told by our doctors that none of the melanoma treatments work on everybody. 

There are people that can take the brutal graphic details and there are some of us that can't. 

DeniseK
                                                                                      Participant

deardad
                                                                                        Participant

Caretaker,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my father 4 months ago and I relive his death everyday…I miss him terribly. I feel very fortunate that my father's death was  peaceful and I am so sorry that you have such sad memories of your loved ones last days, because I understand how difficult it is to erase those last thoughts.

To those who have been upset by this post you need to realise that everyone on this website is different.  I'm sure that  it wasn't caretaker's intention to offend others with her words and I'm sure that they came purely from anger and saddness. Whatever our situation is on this board I don't think slamming someone else who is grieving is either productive or helpful. OK very graphic, very confronting….this is melanoma! Abusing others I think is very unkind…..if you don't like the content of her frankness……there's more tactful ways of saying so, without making a person feel horrible.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                                          Participant

Caretaker,

Nahmi

aldakota22
                                                                                          Participant

Sherron
                                                                                            Participant

I totally understand your pain as I lost my husband to Melanoma 2 years ago on Nov 30, 2010.  He was in the VA Hospital from the Nov 18 to t he 30, Hospice for not quite 13 hours….First let me say, he did ONLY ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS for his Melanoma….Did not surgery, No WLE SNB…nothing except to have the original Melanoma removed an a local recurrence.  He did great for 4 years 2 months, then gradually, Mel came to be agressive….Jim did do emergency surgery on the 18th after being given only 24 hours to live.  He was unstable during surgery, They did fix the immediate problem….but the doctor came out and told me he had 13 more tumors in his intestines…He was too sick, to weak to do anything else…..The green you are talking about did not come from the drug "Z", it is the bile.  They pumped much from my husbands belly, then later on, the threw it up by bucket loads….Don't blame the drug for this.  Our husbands were very sick, and I know have read "Z" does help some, others it does not.  Jim chose not to do any drugs.  I do not regret his decision as we had 4 years 2 months great life to live as we wanted.   We moved Jim to Hospice on Nov 29th, 2010, he was there less than 13  hours..I was with him…He passed peacefully, a very pleasant look on his face….He won,  he is in peace …He Angels took him home.  I miss him still so much ..If you would like to contact me, I would be happy to visit with you..I know your pain..your hurt, the fear, the desperate feelings you feel…..our  husbands, close to the same age.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                                                                              Participant

I totally understand your pain as I lost my husband to Melanoma 2 years ago on Nov 30, 2010.  He was in the VA Hospital from the Nov 18 to t he 30, Hospice for not quite 13 hours….First let me say, he did ONLY ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS for his Melanoma….Did not surgery, No WLE SNB…nothing except to have the original Melanoma removed an a local recurrence.  He did great for 4 years 2 months, then gradually, Mel came to be agressive….Jim did do emergency surgery on the 18th after being given only 24 hours to live.  He was unstable during surgery, They did fix the immediate problem….but the doctor came out and told me he had 13 more tumors in his intestines…He was too sick, to weak to do anything else…..The green you are talking about did not come from the drug "Z", it is the bile.  They pumped much from my husbands belly, then later on, the threw it up by bucket loads….Don't blame the drug for this.  Our husbands were very sick, and I know have read "Z" does help some, others it does not.  Jim chose not to do any drugs.  I do not regret his decision as we had 4 years 2 months great life to live as we wanted.   We moved Jim to Hospice on Nov 29th, 2010, he was there less than 13  hours..I was with him…He passed peacefully, a very pleasant look on his face….He won,  he is in peace …He Angels took him home.  I miss him still so much ..If you would like to contact me, I would be happy to visit with you..I know your pain..your hurt, the fear, the desperate feelings you feel…..our  husbands, close to the same age.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                                                                                Participant

Take Care,

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics