The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update–Fingers crossed

Forums General Melanoma Community Update–Fingers crossed

Participant
      Yesterday I met Dr. Anna Pavlick. Wow. What a lovely, smart powerhouse of a woman. If all goes well, I should start the Merck phase 2 PD1 trial at NYU. Dr. Wolchok sent me to her when Merck abruptly closed remaining seats of the phase 1 trial @ Sloan. Dr. P feels that the brand new tumor in my ear should show up as measurable disease on the MRI I will be having on 6/25, the end of the 28-day wash-out period from Zel. There are a few more mets that should show up as well. I wished for 1 to be large enough, now I’ve got a whole harvest going here, of course making me worry even more…

Yesterday I met Dr. Anna Pavlick. Wow. What a lovely, smart powerhouse of a woman. If all goes well, I should start the Merck phase 2 PD1 trial at NYU. Dr. Wolchok sent me to her when Merck abruptly closed remaining seats of the phase 1 trial @ Sloan. Dr. P feels that the brand new tumor in my ear should show up as measurable disease on the MRI I will be having on 6/25, the end of the 28-day wash-out period from Zel. There are a few more mets that should show up as well. I wished for 1 to be large enough, now I’ve got a whole harvest going here, of course making me worry even more… What if I get the chemo arm, what if the PD1 doesn’t work, blah blah. You get the picture. But we both agreed that I’ll still have the 2 new GSK drugs & hopefully still Zel in my back pocket.
      I think that’s about it for now, I’ll keep you posted.
      Karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Karen, I'm so glad that you found another site for an anti-PD1 trial so quickly and that you like and trust Dr. Pavlick. That's wonderful! Yes, you have some scarey uncertainties here, but you also have good reasons to be optimistic. And as you say, even if this does not work you still have a few more aces up your sleeve. Fingers crossed for you, indeed!

POW
          Participant

Karen, I'm so glad that you found another site for an anti-PD1 trial so quickly and that you like and trust Dr. Pavlick. That's wonderful! Yes, you have some scarey uncertainties here, but you also have good reasons to be optimistic. And as you say, even if this does not work you still have a few more aces up your sleeve. Fingers crossed for you, indeed!

POW
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

Karen got my  fingers and toes crossed for you. You are in very competent & compassionate care with Dr.Anna Pavaluck.Hoping your PMA and work load will keep you too busy to worry.Know you are in my prayers .Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Karen got my  fingers and toes crossed for you. You are in very competent & compassionate care with Dr.Anna Pavaluck.Hoping your PMA and work load will keep you too busy to worry.Know you are in my prayers .Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

King
                    Participant

Karen,

I'm thinking of you and will keep my fingers and toes crossed.  You've been in one long battle.  Are you having pain from the tumor in your ear?  It sounds so painful for some reason.  How was it found?

I follow your posts and wishing you the best.

Stay Strong
                      King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                      Participant

Karen,

I'm thinking of you and will keep my fingers and toes crossed.  You've been in one long battle.  Are you having pain from the tumor in your ear?  It sounds so painful for some reason.  How was it found?

Stay Strong
                        King

King
                        Participant

Karen,

Stay Strong
                          King

Tina D
                          Participant

So glad to hear you love this new Dr! Also happy to hear the hopeful news about this trial for you. I am sure the 25th seems like an eternity away from now, I do hope it goes quickly for you!! 

Thank you forkeeping us updated and will look forward to hearing good news!!

Tina

Tina D
                            Participant

So glad to hear you love this new Dr! Also happy to hear the hopeful news about this trial for you. I am sure the 25th seems like an eternity away from now, I do hope it goes quickly for you!! 

Tina

Tina D
                              Participant

Tina

kylez
                                Participant
                                  Hi Karen,
                                  Fingers crossed for your scans tomorrow and how things have been going so far.
                                  kylez
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Karen,
                                    kylez
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Karen,
                                      Candi13
                                      Participant
                                        Hi karen,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your scans.

My husband is considering Merck pd1 if ipi fails.

Please tell me what is the "testing kit" from Merck used for?

A
                                        Candi13
                                        Participant
                                          Hi karen,

A
                                          Candi13
                                          Participant
                                            Hi karen,

A
                                            Richard_K
                                            Participant

Karen, So hard to believe about the out of date kit and not being able to get a replacement sent overnight.  Friday will be here soon but I know you will feel like it’s a month away – stay strong.

Glad you like Dr. Pavlick, I’ve been with her for almost 3 ½ years and I actually look forward to going to my appointments with her – she’s quite an individual.  Best of luck to you.

"Unable to use my name"

Richard_K
                                              Participant

Karen, So hard to believe about the out of date kit and not being able to get a replacement sent overnight.  Friday will be here soon but I know you will feel like it’s a month away – stay strong.

Glad you like Dr. Pavlick, I’ve been with her for almost 3 ½ years and I actually look forward to going to my appointments with her – she’s quite an individual.  Best of luck to you.

"Unable to use my name"

Richard_K
                                                Participant

"Unable to use my name"

NYKaren
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you my friend… I just came from ENT and he’s afraid the Mel’s now behind ear drum, which is uncomfortably close to brain…I have to keep telling myself what I tell my kids…don’t worry till it’s time to worry.
                                                    It’s a good thing I’m busy at work next couple of weeks.
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thank you my friend… I just came from ENT and he’s afraid the Mel’s now behind ear drum, which is uncomfortably close to brain…I have to keep telling myself what I tell my kids…don’t worry till it’s time to worry.
                                                      NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        NYKaren
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hi Kyle,
                                                          How nice of you to check on me. I’m still on for scans for tomorrow, but Merck sent Dr. P’s office EXPIRED testing kits! To say that I’m upset would be the understatement of the century. I tried to call Merck’s CEO, not successfully. They should have a kit there by Friday, Dr. Pavlick said she’d call the second it gets there, and luckily I work nearby.
                                                          Meanwhile, I have more tumors in my ear, so I really hope this stuff works. If it doesn’t, I guess the next step will be back on Zel. I hear the BRAF/MEK combo doesn’t work too well after Zel. I guess we shall see.
                                                          Karen
                                                          NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Hi Kyle,
                                                            How nice of you to check on me. I’m still on for scans for tomorrow, but Merck sent Dr. P’s office EXPIRED testing kits! To say that I’m upset would be the understatement of the century. I tried to call Merck’s CEO, not successfully. They should have a kit there by Friday, Dr. Pavlick said she’d call the second it gets there, and luckily I work nearby.
                                                            Meanwhile, I have more tumors in my ear, so I really hope this stuff works. If it doesn’t, I guess the next step will be back on Zel. I hear the BRAF/MEK combo doesn’t work too well after Zel. I guess we shall see.
                                                            Karen
                                                            NYKaren
                                                            Participant
                                                              Hi Kyle,
                                                              Karen
                                                              NYKaren
                                                              Participant
                                                                I wish I could understand why Merck couldn’t just overnight new kits. I hate them right now.
                                                                NYKaren
                                                                Participant
                                                                  I wish I could understand why Merck couldn’t just overnight new kits. I hate them right now.
                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      It contains the tubes that one’s drawn blood goes into.
                                                                      I keep telling myself that it’s for the best, that I’ll get a better randomization (i.e. that I’ll get one of the 2 doses of PD1 instead of chemo, etc.). I’m really just playing mind games with myself getting through this waiting game.
                                                                      Karen
                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        I keep telling myself that it’s for the best, that I’ll get a better randomization (i.e. that I’ll get one of the 2 doses of PD1 instead of chemo, etc.). I’m really just playing mind games with myself getting through this waiting game.
                                                                        Karen
                                                                        NYKaren
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Karen
                                                                          awillett1991
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Mind games are ok. Stay strong and don’t let this frustrating little setback get to you! Good luck on your scans Karen!

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Mind games are ok. Stay strong and don’t let this frustrating little setback get to you! Good luck on your scans Karen!

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                              Participant

Amy

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant

Hi "unable to use your name," I'm glad all is well with you.

I have a call into Dr. P  for the results of yesterday's 3 MRI's and 1 CT scan.

How hard could it possibly be to overnight a new kit??????????

I have my doubts about the new kits arriving by Friday…the person told her "they SHOULD be here by Friday", which to me says Monday or Tuesday.  I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks,

I'll let you know what happens.

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                                  Participant

I have my doubts about the new kits arriving by Friday…the person told her "they SHOULD be here by Friday", which to me says Monday or Tuesday.  I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks,

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks,

Karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics