The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update and advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Update and advice

Participant

Today I got my results from SNLB.  Both my right and left side showed cancer.  I will have the complete lymph node dissection between Christmas and New Years.  Can anyone tell me what this will be like?  Also they are suggesting interferon.  I'm in the beginning research search so anything you guys can tell me is VERY much appreciated.  

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marianne quinn
        Participant

My husband had a lymphectomy on his left arm. He had a lot of drainage and actually had to have his drain replaced after it was initially removed. He developed a seroma which is a collection of fluid in his armpit. It took a long time to absorb. The area was uncomfortable for quite awhile but he took very few pain meds.He did develop lymphendema.

Now that I gave you all the negatives, it has been a year and he is doing very well and is NED. The lympedema is basically gone. He golfs,works out, skis with no problems. He did not start wearing a compression sleeve for at least six months after surgery. He should have started earlier; it was much more comfortable when he finally got the sleeve. Have your doc refer you to a lymphendem physical therapist early on.

are you having a lymphendectomy on both sides? Are they thinking about adjunct therapy? Have you had any scans? Please keep us posted and good luck.

Kmiles
            Participant

Thank you so much for the response!  Yes I'm having it on both arms as both arms had positive nodes.  I will take your advise on therapist and sleeve! 

Kmiles
              Participant

Thank you so much for the response!  Yes I'm having it on both arms as both arms had positive nodes.  I will take your advise on therapist and sleeve! 

Kmiles
                Participant

Squash
                  Participant

Castor oil packs are very good at getting rid of seromas quickly.

Squash
                    Participant

Squash
                      Participant

Marianne quinn
                      Participant

My husband had a lymphectomy on his left arm. He had a lot of drainage and actually had to have his drain replaced after it was initially removed. He developed a seroma which is a collection of fluid in his armpit. It took a long time to absorb. The area was uncomfortable for quite awhile but he took very few pain meds.He did develop lymphendema.

Now that I gave you all the negatives, it has been a year and he is doing very well and is NED. The lympedema is basically gone. He golfs,works out, skis with no problems. He did not start wearing a compression sleeve for at least six months after surgery. He should have started earlier; it was much more comfortable when he finally got the sleeve. Have your doc refer you to a lymphendem physical therapist early on.

are you having a lymphendectomy on both sides? Are they thinking about adjunct therapy? Have you had any scans? Please keep us posted and good luck.

Marianne quinn
                        Participant

ed williams
                          Participant

Hi Kmiles, nice Christmas present you are getting this year!!!  I had both arm done in 2012 one month apart. My advice to you would be leave the drains in as long as possible, I took my tube out ( not the smartest thing that I have ever done.) and ended up having to go in and get my arm pit drain two times before they decided to put drain back in due to the fact that the volume wasn't going down. After the tube was finally out I started to see a physiotherapist that specialized in Lymphodema and how to prevent it. Lots of stretching exercises and lymph drainage message. My under arms aren't pretty to look at since the surgery and I still have some swelling more so on the left side. I call them my man boobs!!! I didn't develop lymphodema and I am able to exercise and lift weight today. I really had to work hard at getting the full range of motion back to the shoulder, and it still kind of feels like the tissue is pulling under the skin. Wishing you the best of luck with the surgery. Ed 

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Kmiles, nice Christmas present you are getting this year!!!  I had both arm done in 2012 one month apart. My advice to you would be leave the drains in as long as possible, I took my tube out ( not the smartest thing that I have ever done.) and ended up having to go in and get my arm pit drain two times before they decided to put drain back in due to the fact that the volume wasn't going down. After the tube was finally out I started to see a physiotherapist that specialized in Lymphodema and how to prevent it. Lots of stretching exercises and lymph drainage message. My under arms aren't pretty to look at since the surgery and I still have some swelling more so on the left side. I call them my man boobs!!! I didn't develop lymphodema and I am able to exercise and lift weight today. I really had to work hard at getting the full range of motion back to the shoulder, and it still kind of feels like the tissue is pulling under the skin. Wishing you the best of luck with the surgery. Ed 

ed williams
                              Participant

brittanyx
                                Participant
                                  I’m 19 and stage 3 and have had 2 surgeries so far. Best thing is REST. Do not over due anything. I’m doing Interferon as well, on month 5 and I’m doing great. I have no side effects, even when I did the infusions 5 times a week for the first month. You will see a lot of negative comments from people but know there are MANY people who have done Interferon and have little to no side effects, and are now NED and have been. Do not let ANYONE influence your choice. If you feel interferon will be right for you, go for it. Do what you feel is best for you!
                                  brittanyx
                                  Participant
                                    I’m 19 and stage 3 and have had 2 surgeries so far. Best thing is REST. Do not over due anything. I’m doing Interferon as well, on month 5 and I’m doing great. I have no side effects, even when I did the infusions 5 times a week for the first month. You will see a lot of negative comments from people but know there are MANY people who have done Interferon and have little to no side effects, and are now NED and have been. Do not let ANYONE influence your choice. If you feel interferon will be right for you, go for it. Do what you feel is best for you!
                                    brittanyx
                                    Participant
                                  Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics