The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update 10 June – completed cycle 3 of Novartis BRAF/MEK inhibitor trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Update 10 June – completed cycle 3 of Novartis BRAF/MEK inhibitor trial

Participant
      Hi everyone,
      Well after a hectic ten days or so of making, then rearranging, then again rearranging appointments and treatment schedules I have started on the Novartis BRAF and MEK inhibitor combination trial, as well as starting radiation for the tumour behind my left eye.

Things were really getting rough for me over the weekend just gone, I was suffering dreadful pain around the eye, our family GP prescribed me some Endone but I think that didn’t agree with me and I became nauseous and couldn’t keep anything much down, finally when I got to the radiation planning study on Monday the doc prescribed me steroids and brought the treatments forward, the steroids had an immediate effect and I am feeling way way better although there is a long way to go with dealing with the orbit tumour.

The first two trial days have been ok, day 1 involved a whole day at hospital being blood tested prior to dosing then taking the tablets (I have to take 3 MEK 45mg and 5 BRAF 450mg in the morning, and another 3 MEK at night), then continuos blood testing throughout the day, I think 6 samples all up, to check uptake of the drug. I basically rested in a quiet hospital room all day, listening to some music and trying to recover a bit from the rough weekend.

So I’ve now had a grand total of three doses of the meds, nothing to note as yet, there are some potentially nasty side affects on the eyes so they monitor that situation closely with regular ophthalmic check ups. I am just counting down the days until I can get to see my husband and little boy again, they are travelling to be with me just before Easter and over the holiday.

Would love to hear how anyone else on this trial is getting on,
      Cheers
      Ally

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Sorry you a having a rough time.Praying that this is the treatment  that kicks butt.My it be a very happy visit by hubby & little boy.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Sorry you a having a rough time.Praying that this is the treatment  that kicks butt.My it be a very happy visit by hubby & little boy.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

awillett1991
              Participant
                Ally,

Good to hear from you and sorry things have been so rough. We definitely all know the roller coaster, both physically and emotionally. Keep fighting and focus on that upcoming visit!

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant
                  Ally,

Good to hear from you and sorry things have been so rough. We definitely all know the roller coaster, both physically and emotionally. Keep fighting and focus on that upcoming visit!

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Ally,

Amy

POW
                    Participant

Ally, I think the BRAF/MEK combo is one of the most promising treatments to come along in a while. Now I expect you to show us exactly how good it is!! We're all cheering you on so get in there and get it done. Beat the beast!

POW
                      Participant

Ally, I think the BRAF/MEK combo is one of the most promising treatments to come along in a while. Now I expect you to show us exactly how good it is!! We're all cheering you on so get in there and get it done. Beat the beast!

POW
                        Participant

AllyNTAus
                          Participant
                            Hi everyone,
                            I thought I would come back into this thread and keep it updated so I can report on the progress of this trial.

So 1 week in, and I am having no trouble at all with the meds ( apart from having to swallow 8 pills in the morning and 3 at night, I rattle!). I know the main side effects to look out for but none has arisen as yet.

It may be wishful thinking but I do believe the small sub-q bump that popped up on my thigh a couple of weeks back has reduced a little in size. I have no other external tumours that I can monitor.

I have had three of 5 radiation sessions to my eye, and it is improving, I am now able to open it quite well but it is not properly aligned yet and still gives me double vision if I try to look out both eyes at once, so the eye covering stays for now. I imagine the trial meds are helping it too.

I have all my review visits and test dates mapped out for the next 8 weeks so at least I can now plan my life a bit and work out when I can get back home for some time.

Best wishes to everyone fighting this beast!
                            Ally

AllyNTAus
                            Participant
                              Hi everyone,
                              I thought I would come back into this thread and keep it updated so I can report on the progress of this trial.

So 1 week in, and I am having no trouble at all with the meds ( apart from having to swallow 8 pills in the morning and 3 at night, I rattle!). I know the main side effects to look out for but none has arisen as yet.

It may be wishful thinking but I do believe the small sub-q bump that popped up on my thigh a couple of weeks back has reduced a little in size. I have no other external tumours that I can monitor.

I have had three of 5 radiation sessions to my eye, and it is improving, I am now able to open it quite well but it is not properly aligned yet and still gives me double vision if I try to look out both eyes at once, so the eye covering stays for now. I imagine the trial meds are helping it too.

I have all my review visits and test dates mapped out for the next 8 weeks so at least I can now plan my life a bit and work out when I can get back home for some time.

Ally

AllyNTAus
                              Participant
                                Hi everyone,

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                Participant
                                  Hi everyone, reporting in again. So today I completed the first 28 day cycle on this combo trial, and things are looking Ok. All my mets are stable with no new ones appearing. They are mainly in the para-aortic and pelvic region, with some sub-q mets in my backside.. My doc says this is a good result for only 28 days in the drugs.

The scan today did not make any mention of the previous met behind the left eye which was the source of so much trouble 4-5 weeks back. My own amateur viewing of the films leads me to think there is a tiny spot still there but maybe it is just scar tissue. Certainly the radiographer didn’t think there was anything of significance worth mentioning, and my doc said my eye is certainly improving, which I know, even though it is not back to normal position or normal binocular vision as yet, that may take a few more weeks.

All in all, the drugs have been easy, I had two bouts of gastro during the month but they lasted under 24 hrs each and were highly likely just food poisoning or a bug, not the drugs.

Best thing is I am now heading home to my family for a couple of weeks before another check up visit, which will be wonderful. At the end of the next cycle I should move onto monthly visits only.
                                  Cheers
                                  Ally

AllyNTAus
                                  Participant
                                    Hi everyone, reporting in again. So today I completed the first 28 day cycle on this combo trial, and things are looking Ok. All my mets are stable with no new ones appearing. They are mainly in the para-aortic and pelvic region, with some sub-q mets in my backside.. My doc says this is a good result for only 28 days in the drugs.

The scan today did not make any mention of the previous met behind the left eye which was the source of so much trouble 4-5 weeks back. My own amateur viewing of the films leads me to think there is a tiny spot still there but maybe it is just scar tissue. Certainly the radiographer didn’t think there was anything of significance worth mentioning, and my doc said my eye is certainly improving, which I know, even though it is not back to normal position or normal binocular vision as yet, that may take a few more weeks.

All in all, the drugs have been easy, I had two bouts of gastro during the month but they lasted under 24 hrs each and were highly likely just food poisoning or a bug, not the drugs.

Best thing is I am now heading home to my family for a couple of weeks before another check up visit, which will be wonderful. At the end of the next cycle I should move onto monthly visits only.
                                    Cheers
                                    Ally

AllyNTAus
                                    Participant

Cheers
                                      Ally

AllyNTAus
                                      Participant
                                        May 6, 2013 – Today was day 56 of the combination trial, I had a CT scan which again shows stable disease, one target lymph node near the pancreas has shrunk a few millimetres, yay, another node may have increased a little but it is still only lymph nodes, no major organ or brain involvement.

I feel really well, I just need to get onto doing some more exercise to regain some fitness. My left eye is still not quite right but it is nearly there, it is settling back into place and looked much more normal on the CT scan than a month ago.

As I am in a dose-escalation study, if I am still going well in another 56 days, I may get an increased dose of the drugs which may be more beneficial. Fingers crossed!
                                        Ally

POW
                                          Participant

Ally, it sounds like you are doing amazingly well! Good for you! I will keep praying that you become a "complete responder" to the BRAF/MEK combo. You go, girl!

POW
                                            Participant

Ally, it sounds like you are doing amazingly well! Good for you! I will keep praying that you become a "complete responder" to the BRAF/MEK combo. You go, girl!

POW
                                              Participant

awillett1991
                                                Participant
                                                  Ally,

Sounds like things are looking up! Great to hear from you!

Amy

awillett1991
                                                  Participant
                                                    Ally,

Amy

meldad
                                                    Participant
                                                      Ally, I hope this treatment works wonders for you!

I’m also from Australia, my dad was on Zel for about a year and we have just found out that its stopped working! The doctors are trying to get him onto this trial but he has to have the Zel out of his body for 8weeks! So we’re at the ‘watch and wait’ stage. I feel like 8 weeks is such a long time to just do nothing! Did u have to stop your previous treatment for 8 weeks before you could start this trial?

Hope to hear good news from you soon!

meldad
                                                      Participant

I’m also from Australia, my dad was on Zel for about a year and we have just found out that its stopped working! The doctors are trying to get him onto this trial but he has to have the Zel out of his body for 8weeks! So we’re at the ‘watch and wait’ stage. I feel like 8 weeks is such a long time to just do nothing! Did u have to stop your previous treatment for 8 weeks before you could start this trial?

meldad
                                                        Participant

meldad
                                                          Participant

meldad
                                                            Participant

meldad
                                                              Participant

meldad
                                                                Participant

meldad
                                                                  Participant

meldad
                                                                    Participant

awillett1991
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Ally,

Amy

AllyNTAus
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        May 6, 2013 – Today was day 56 of the combination trial, I had a CT scan which again shows stable disease, one target lymph node near the pancreas has shrunk a few millimetres, yay, another node may have increased a little but it is still only lymph nodes, no major organ or brain involvement.

I feel really well, I just need to get onto doing some more exercise to regain some fitness. My left eye is still not quite right but it is nearly there, it is settling back into place and looked much more normal on the CT scan than a month ago.

As I am in a dose-escalation study, if I am still going well in another 56 days, I may get an increased dose of the drugs which may be more beneficial. Fingers crossed!
                                                                        Ally

AllyNTAus
                                                                        Participant

Ally

AllyNTAus
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Hi everyone, a bit of an update from the end of my third cycle. I only had blood tests and a quick chat with one of the registrars in the melanoma team, so I didn’t learn a lot other than that my bloodwork was OK. I have been feeling a little off colour for a couple of weeks, just some vague headachy feelings (which have now gone), and some grumbly tummy feelings (which are persisting somewhat), so I’m not sure whether its just some random bug, I hope so. I do suspect that the lack of a gallbladder is causing some of the tummy troubles. Scan at the start of July will be the next real information. But overall I am well considering where I was at in late February!
                                                                            AllyNTAus
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Hi everyone, a bit of an update from the end of my third cycle. I only had blood tests and a quick chat with one of the registrars in the melanoma team, so I didn’t learn a lot other than that my bloodwork was OK. I have been feeling a little off colour for a couple of weeks, just some vague headachy feelings (which have now gone), and some grumbly tummy feelings (which are persisting somewhat), so I’m not sure whether its just some random bug, I hope so. I do suspect that the lack of a gallbladder is causing some of the tummy troubles. Scan at the start of July will be the next real information. But overall I am well considering where I was at in late February!
                                                                              AllyNTAus
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                AllyNTAus
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Meldad, sorry to hear this has happened to your father.

That length of wash-out period sounds long, I was only 48 hours between stopping Dabrafenib (GSK’s version of Zelboraf) and starting on this trial. I would have thought that Novartis would have the same protocol for any previous BRAF inhibitors. Which hospital/doctors is your dad under?

AllyNTAus
                                                                                  Participant

That length of wash-out period sounds long, I was only 48 hours between stopping Dabrafenib (GSK’s version of Zelboraf) and starting on this trial. I would have thought that Novartis would have the same protocol for any previous BRAF inhibitors. Which hospital/doctors is your dad under?

AllyNTAus
                                                                                    Participant

POW
                                                                                      Participant

Ally, I'm so glad that you are continuing to do well and BRAF/MEK. That is so encouraging especially, as you say, considering hwo things were going in February. How are your eyes? Are you still having double vision?

I continue to pray that you are a complete responder to this combo and anxiously await your next scans.

By the way, if your tummy troubles are the result of losing your gall bladder, do you notice any onset of symptoms after eating fat or grease or a particularly heavy meal? That's what happens to me. (Not that I stop eating fat and grease, mind you, but I do sometimes get a tummy ache. smiley)

POW
                                                                                        Participant

Ally, I'm so glad that you are continuing to do well and BRAF/MEK. That is so encouraging especially, as you say, considering hwo things were going in February. How are your eyes? Are you still having double vision?

I continue to pray that you are a complete responder to this combo and anxiously await your next scans.

By the way, if your tummy troubles are the result of losing your gall bladder, do you notice any onset of symptoms after eating fat or grease or a particularly heavy meal? That's what happens to me. (Not that I stop eating fat and grease, mind you, but I do sometimes get a tummy ache. smiley)

POW
                                                                                          Participant

AllyNTAus
                                                                                            Participant

Thanks for your thoughts, my double vision is persisting but my left eye is very very slowly moving back towards normal position, I think the poor little delicate muscles around the eye were just so stretched they are taking ages to recover. I am learning to live with it though, it could be worse.

At least after the ASCO news I have the hope offered by the Ipi/Novi combination, it is a great development.

I date my recent tummy upsets back to a day when I ate some cold cooked chicken that may not have been completely properly refrigerated, because I don't remember anything like these issues before that, and I had the gallbladder removed in mid-February with no real noticeable effects between then and now apart from the occassional build up of gas after heavier meals that responded well to peppermint tea. So maybe I gave myself a nasty bout of food poisoning that has had some lasting effects! I am starting to feel a bit better.

Will post again after my July scans

AllyNTAus
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks for your thoughts, my double vision is persisting but my left eye is very very slowly moving back towards normal position, I think the poor little delicate muscles around the eye were just so stretched they are taking ages to recover. I am learning to live with it though, it could be worse.

At least after the ASCO news I have the hope offered by the Ipi/Novi combination, it is a great development.

I date my recent tummy upsets back to a day when I ate some cold cooked chicken that may not have been completely properly refrigerated, because I don't remember anything like these issues before that, and I had the gallbladder removed in mid-February with no real noticeable effects between then and now apart from the occassional build up of gas after heavier meals that responded well to peppermint tea. So maybe I gave myself a nasty bout of food poisoning that has had some lasting effects! I am starting to feel a bit better.

AllyNTAus
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics