The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Upcoming biopsy anxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Upcoming biopsy anxiety

Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma on December 29th 2014 at the age of 40.  My tumor was on my left shoulder.  My treatment included surgery and I elected to complete the high dose interferon for the year.  All has been good until I went for my annual mammogram.  They found a suspicious mass on the right side. I will have a biopsy done this Friday. I know that I shouldn’t be consumed with anything until I get the pathology report back but I can’t help it.  I’m worried about breast cancer but mostly worried about it being melanoma that has metastasized. I am just so anxious.  I’m mostly scared that it will be something and my kids will struggle.  They have lost so much and it will be so hard on them.  Since my diagnosis my husband was diagnosed with cancer,  they lost both my parents from cancer and their other grandfather from Alzheimer’s.  Prior to my diagnosis they lost their other grandma from ALS and my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer but thank goodness she is doing wonderfully now.  I just don’t know what to do and the wait is so hard

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

The waiting is so hard!  Did the radiologist give you any clues to the type of mass? Sounds more like a breast issue than melanoma.  You can find more about others with this at: http://www.melanomaforum.org.  It is a very supportive place.

seholmes
            Participant

Thanks for your response.  The mass is an 8mm irregular hypoechiic mass with an adjacent 4mm hypoechoic mass at 4:00 with a bi-rads rating of 4.  

Bubbles
            Participant

So sorry for all that you and your family have been through, Seholmes!!  That is far more than your fair share, to say the least.  Yes…we melanoma patients…(well, patients of any sort, really!!!)…have to deal with incredibly miserable waits!!!  Hopefully, your results will be benign, neither breast cancer nor melanoma!  However, like your sister has proven, breast cancer treatment has great outcomes in many circumstances.  Additionally, melanoma treatment has made incredible strides since 2011 – even since your last ordeal in 2014.  Hang in there.  I wish you my best.  There are many here who can help should melanoma be part of your results.  I will keep fingers crossed that it is not.  celeste

seholmes
                Participant

Thank you for your response.  My biopsy is tomorrow and hopefully I will get my pathology report on the earlier side. I have been trying to keep busy to keep my mind from going to places it shouldn’t. I hope you have a great weekend!

seholmes
                  Participant

I got my pathology result and it is good and bad news.  The good news is that it is not melanoma the bad news is that it is breast cancer.  I’m not exactly sure what my treatment plan will be besides surgery at this point since my HER2 was inconclusive and waiting the results on the additional testing and what is determined during surgery.  I am waiting for my surgery consult. One thing that is helpful is that I already have a relationship with my oncologist and surgeon.  I did meet with my oncologist and he spent a good amount of time with me and I felt a little better leaving his office. My sister had a bilateral mastectomy and she will be able to help me with the process

seholmes
                    Participant

I got my pathology result and it is good and bad news.  The good news is that it is not melanoma the bad news is that it is breast cancer.  I’m not exactly sure what my treatment plan will be besides surgery at this point since my HER2 was inconclusive and waiting the results on the additional testing and what is determined during surgery.  I am waiting for my surgery consult. One thing that is helpful is that I already have a relationship with my oncologist and surgeon.  I did meet with my oncologist and he spent a good amount of time with me and I felt a little better leaving his office. My sister had a bilateral mastectomy and she will be able to help me with the process

Bubbles
                      Participant

Sorry you have to deal with that, but glad you are not dealing with melanoma.  Hang in there!  c

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics