The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Undecided Treatment **Need Help**

Forums General Melanoma Community Undecided Treatment **Need Help**

Participant

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 nodular melanoma in April 2015. I had first sugery in May of 2015 and second surgery to remove all lymoh nodes in July 2015. My oncologist told me that even if I do the treatments, I still have a 60% chance of it coming back, so I chose to do nothing. Here is it December 2015 and I now have in-transit metatasess around the original tumor site. I go back to oncologist on January 7 to discuss treatments. I am sure that she will offer me the same treatments as before which are either Interferon, Peg Interferon, or Biochemo. I have read so many things about all of them and I have NO IDEA what I should do. Can anyone tell me if they have had to make this decision and what decision you made? How it went for you and if it helped at all. I'm to the point I just want to ask her to take my whole darned leg instead of having to do these treatments. Any help would be great. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        mkirkland
        Participant

Just about 6/8 weeks ago yervoy was approved by the fda for stage 3 patients. Talk to your dr about this. I started about 2 weeks ago and there are a few other ppl on here who just started as well. I am a stage 3A nodular melanoma. Best wishes!! 

mkirkland
          Participant

Just about 6/8 weeks ago yervoy was approved by the fda for stage 3 patients. Talk to your dr about this. I started about 2 weeks ago and there are a few other ppl on here who just started as well. I am a stage 3A nodular melanoma. Best wishes!! 

mkirkland
            Participant

kathycmc
              Participant

My daughter was diagnosed with nodular melanoma stage 3b in October 2012.  She was 24.  Hers was in an existing mole on her right neck.  SLN was negative but a month later a different nearby lymph node was enlarged and found to be melanoma.  Lymph node dissection with just that one lymph node out of 26 found to be positive for melanoma.  She was offerred biochemotherapy and did the 3 rounds recommended.  Very difficult treatment with numerous side effects but we were glad to have something that would be systemic.    At that time it was not even approved for stage 3 so we felt very lucky to get it.  She is now 3 years NED.  Her scans have been decreased to yearly and they are CT only now.  She has skin checks every 6 months.

I understand there are a few other options available now for stage 3 and I am hopeful that there will be many more in the future.  No one can tell you what would be best for you.  We really felt the need to be as aggressive as we could early on but not everyone feels that way.  I know the statistics for biochemotherapy are not great but I believe that each treatment has at least a small percentage of people who respond positively to it so for us it was worth it.

This disease doesn't seem to follow any rules so there isn't one best way to fight it.  Explore all your options and don't let anyone pressure you into a treatment you don't believe in.  Make the decision for treatment based on what works for you and then go for it without regret or looking back.  

I would also like to pass along something my daughters melanoma oncologist told her.  He gave her all the known statistics at the time, in terms of recurrence and progression, but then added that they are only numbers and not her.  No one can predict who will have a complete cure and who will progress.  

I hope this information was helpful and I wish you peace with whatever course of treatment you choose to pursue. 

kathycmc
                Participant

My daughter was diagnosed with nodular melanoma stage 3b in October 2012.  She was 24.  Hers was in an existing mole on her right neck.  SLN was negative but a month later a different nearby lymph node was enlarged and found to be melanoma.  Lymph node dissection with just that one lymph node out of 26 found to be positive for melanoma.  She was offerred biochemotherapy and did the 3 rounds recommended.  Very difficult treatment with numerous side effects but we were glad to have something that would be systemic.    At that time it was not even approved for stage 3 so we felt very lucky to get it.  She is now 3 years NED.  Her scans have been decreased to yearly and they are CT only now.  She has skin checks every 6 months.

I understand there are a few other options available now for stage 3 and I am hopeful that there will be many more in the future.  No one can tell you what would be best for you.  We really felt the need to be as aggressive as we could early on but not everyone feels that way.  I know the statistics for biochemotherapy are not great but I believe that each treatment has at least a small percentage of people who respond positively to it so for us it was worth it.

This disease doesn't seem to follow any rules so there isn't one best way to fight it.  Explore all your options and don't let anyone pressure you into a treatment you don't believe in.  Make the decision for treatment based on what works for you and then go for it without regret or looking back.  

I would also like to pass along something my daughters melanoma oncologist told her.  He gave her all the known statistics at the time, in terms of recurrence and progression, but then added that they are only numbers and not her.  No one can predict who will have a complete cure and who will progress.  

I hope this information was helpful and I wish you peace with whatever course of treatment you choose to pursue. 

kathycmc
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

It can be a little overwhelming with the options. Since Yervoy (ipi) is now available for stage 3, it is the newest and best drug available for stage 3 currently… which is why I chose that option myself. My oncologist told me about interferon but said since Yervoy is available now that they don't even offer interferon anymore since it basically doesn't do anything. I'm going in for my second infusion on Tuesday, I've had very mild side effects so far, mostly just fatigue. No one really knows how their body will react to any kind of drug until you try it, which is why I didn't let the stories of bad side effects stop me from trying. I'm sure your oncologist will give you all the info you need to make the right choice for yourself. 

Best of luck and happy new year!

-Jenn

jennunicorn
                      Participant

It can be a little overwhelming with the options. Since Yervoy (ipi) is now available for stage 3, it is the newest and best drug available for stage 3 currently… which is why I chose that option myself. My oncologist told me about interferon but said since Yervoy is available now that they don't even offer interferon anymore since it basically doesn't do anything. I'm going in for my second infusion on Tuesday, I've had very mild side effects so far, mostly just fatigue. No one really knows how their body will react to any kind of drug until you try it, which is why I didn't let the stories of bad side effects stop me from trying. I'm sure your oncologist will give you all the info you need to make the right choice for yourself. 

-Jenn

jennunicorn
                        Participant

-Jenn

Angsta39
                          Participant

Thank you to you all for your stories and what you each chose to do. This helps me very much. I thought Yervoy was only for Stage 4, but it gives me hope that my doctor may offer it to me. If I don't get offered it, I will probablly do the biochemo because the other options that she gave me before just don't seem like the right choice for me. Again, thank you so much for all of you answering my post. 

Angsta39
                            Participant

Thank you to you all for your stories and what you each chose to do. This helps me very much. I thought Yervoy was only for Stage 4, but it gives me hope that my doctor may offer it to me. If I don't get offered it, I will probablly do the biochemo because the other options that she gave me before just don't seem like the right choice for me. Again, thank you so much for all of you answering my post. 

Angsta39
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics