The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

UNC Melanoma Day

Forums General Melanoma Community UNC Melanoma Day

Participant

Is anyone attending the UNC Melanoma Day program in Chapel Hill on Feb 23?

Is anyone attending the UNC Melanoma Day program in Chapel Hill on Feb 23?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Rick,

Could you copy and paste the details or perhaps a link

I didn't know about this, but after Rick posted, I checked and found this:

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2011/January/melanoma-patient-day?searchterm=melanoma

ellen

NicOz
            Participant

Thankyou for the information

NicOz
              Participant

Thankyou for the information

JoanR
                Participant

Hi Ellen, I haven't been here much with traveling and all. May I ask about your Dad ? Cheers Joan

Hi Joan,

Thanks for asking.  My father passed away more than a year ago at almost 89 years old, but I still hang around some.  He had melanoma under a nail on his big toe, which was "cured" by amputation.  No lymph node involvement.  A few years later, he was diagnosed with acral lentiginous melanoma on the bottom of his foot — no one noticed because he was a diabetic.  After a couple of surgeries, he had metastases up his leg.  He had some treatments which probably reduced the extent of the metastases, but they were painful for him.   The problem/blessing (depending on how you look at it) was, with mild dementia, he often forgot he had melanoma and couldn't understand why he was being put through the treatments.  Ultimately, he ended up in the hospital with blood clots in his legs, allergies to the heparin used to correct that and various other complications.  He came home on hospice and passed away a few days later.  Melanoma never showed up anywhere outside his leg. For that, I am grateful.

While he was going through treatment, I received lots of advice/encouragement from people on this board, which I really appreciate.  I still hang out to keep track of some of those people and see if I can be of any help.  My knowledge base is small, because my father's case was unusual in many respects, so what I do is offer people access to journal articles they would otherwise have to pay for.  I work at a medical center (UNC, in fact), so I have access.  I hate the idea that people with cancer, whose tax dollars have paid for government sponsored research, have to pay $35 or whatever for these articles.  Not technically legal, but that's my thing…

Anyway, that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.  😉  Best wishes everyone.

ellen

JoanR
                  Participant

As I remember your dad was in Sask wasn't he?  I am sorry to hear of his passing, but pleased to see he did not suffer or realize the extent of his illness, sometimes there is a positive side to dreadful dementia.

Thank you for taking the time to help others on MPIP and to repay some of the kindness and support you received, it is people like you that mak this Board the unique and wonderful site it is. Hope to see you names in the yers to come. It is almost 10 years since I first came here, seems like a lifetime somedays and on other days,  like yesterday. 

Cheers Joan  please feel free to contat me directly if you wish   

Hi Joan,

No, I think you are thinking of someone else, if Sask means Saskatchawan?  OK, Canadians, how DO you spell it??  Am I even close?  Anyway, we are in the "lower 48" as they say. 

Best wishes to you and everyone else,

ellen

Hi Joan,

No, I think you are thinking of someone else, if Sask means Saskatchawan?  OK, Canadians, how DO you spell it??  Am I even close?  Anyway, we are in the "lower 48" as they say. 

Best wishes to you and everyone else,

ellen

JoanR
                    Participant

As I remember your dad was in Sask wasn't he?  I am sorry to hear of his passing, but pleased to see he did not suffer or realize the extent of his illness, sometimes there is a positive side to dreadful dementia.

Thank you for taking the time to help others on MPIP and to repay some of the kindness and support you received, it is people like you that mak this Board the unique and wonderful site it is. Hope to see you names in the yers to come. It is almost 10 years since I first came here, seems like a lifetime somedays and on other days,  like yesterday. 

Cheers Joan  please feel free to contat me directly if you wish   

Hi Joan,

Thanks for asking.  My father passed away more than a year ago at almost 89 years old, but I still hang around some.  He had melanoma under a nail on his big toe, which was "cured" by amputation.  No lymph node involvement.  A few years later, he was diagnosed with acral lentiginous melanoma on the bottom of his foot — no one noticed because he was a diabetic.  After a couple of surgeries, he had metastases up his leg.  He had some treatments which probably reduced the extent of the metastases, but they were painful for him.   The problem/blessing (depending on how you look at it) was, with mild dementia, he often forgot he had melanoma and couldn't understand why he was being put through the treatments.  Ultimately, he ended up in the hospital with blood clots in his legs, allergies to the heparin used to correct that and various other complications.  He came home on hospice and passed away a few days later.  Melanoma never showed up anywhere outside his leg. For that, I am grateful.

While he was going through treatment, I received lots of advice/encouragement from people on this board, which I really appreciate.  I still hang out to keep track of some of those people and see if I can be of any help.  My knowledge base is small, because my father's case was unusual in many respects, so what I do is offer people access to journal articles they would otherwise have to pay for.  I work at a medical center (UNC, in fact), so I have access.  I hate the idea that people with cancer, whose tax dollars have paid for government sponsored research, have to pay $35 or whatever for these articles.  Not technically legal, but that's my thing…

Anyway, that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.  😉  Best wishes everyone.

ellen

JoanR
                      Participant

Hi Ellen, I haven't been here much with traveling and all. May I ask about your Dad ? Cheers Joan

I didn't know about this, but after Rick posted, I checked and found this:

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2011/January/melanoma-patient-day?searchterm=melanoma

ellen

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

Rick,

Could you copy and paste the details or perhaps a link

michelleg
                        Participant

Yes, I have registered for the event.

Michelle/3B

michelleg
                          Participant

Yes, I have registered for the event.

Michelle/3B

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics