The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ultrasound Guided FNA/possible core biopsy of lymph node lesion

Forums General Melanoma Community Ultrasound Guided FNA/possible core biopsy of lymph node lesion

Participant

Hey everyone just updating what's new.  I had an ultrasound of my lymph nodes in both groins where some of the nodes contained a hypoechoic lesion concerning for melanoma metastatic deposit.  Since the surgical oncologist can actually see this within the nodes he's set me up for an ultrasound guided biopsy this thur at VAndy.  Has anyone else had an enlarged lymph node or nodes that contained a "lesion" in the node that was visible by ultrasound?

Hey everyone just updating what's new.  I had an ultrasound of my lymph nodes in both groins where some of the nodes contained a hypoechoic lesion concerning for melanoma metastatic deposit.  Since the surgical oncologist can actually see this within the nodes he's set me up for an ultrasound guided biopsy this thur at VAndy.  Has anyone else had an enlarged lymph node or nodes that contained a "lesion" in the node that was visible by ultrasound?  Crazy thing is I had a clean PET scan done 2 mo ago but these hypoechoic areas in the nodes are just now right at 1cm in size and were not there 2 mo ago.  Thanks so much for your support and knowlege on this disease.

Much love,

Alicia STage 3a w/ 3 primaries

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I could feel the node in my arm, the PET showed it to be nothing. Went for an ultrasound and it was thought to be a blood clot. 1 month later I went for a follow up ultrasound and it had grown 1mm. They did the FNA and got metastic cells.  When the surgery was set up they did another PET scan. This time it was large enough to show. 

Good luck and let us know the results! 

Linda

alicia
            Participant
              Thanks so much Linda!!! I’ll update as soon as I know the results. How long did it take for you to get your results back?
              lhaley
              Participant

That particular FNA was done locally and it took a week.  My last one (which was negative) was done in the cancer center and it took 2 days.  My oncologist still felt it was going to be mel so it was then excised and those results were also about 2 days – still negative!  It was worrisome because this node was just inches away from my last malignant node. Ended up being fatty tissue.

lhaley
                Participant

That particular FNA was done locally and it took a week.  My last one (which was negative) was done in the cancer center and it took 2 days.  My oncologist still felt it was going to be mel so it was then excised and those results were also about 2 days – still negative!  It was worrisome because this node was just inches away from my last malignant node. Ended up being fatty tissue.

alicia
                  Participant
                    Thanks so much Linda!!! I’ll update as soon as I know the results. How long did it take for you to get your results back?
                  lhaley
                  Participant

I could feel the node in my arm, the PET showed it to be nothing. Went for an ultrasound and it was thought to be a blood clot. 1 month later I went for a follow up ultrasound and it had grown 1mm. They did the FNA and got metastic cells.  When the surgery was set up they did another PET scan. This time it was large enough to show. 

Good luck and let us know the results! 

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Alicia, I would just like to say a bit about PET scans. In general, they are not good at picking up very small areas of metastasis. They are basically designed to show areas of high metabolic activity that could indicate a malignant tumour. Any suspicious areas are then usually checked against what is shown on a corresponding CT scan. However, a biopsy is the most accurate way of identifying if a lesion is melanoma.

Wishing you good luck with the biopsy results. 

Frank from Australia

alicia
                        Participant
                          Thanks so much Frank and Linda!!!! I truly appreciate you all xoxox:0)

Much love,
                          Alicia

alicia
                          Participant
                            Thanks so much Frank and Linda!!!! I truly appreciate you all xoxox:0)

Much love,
                            Alicia

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Alicia, I would just like to say a bit about PET scans. In general, they are not good at picking up very small areas of metastasis. They are basically designed to show areas of high metabolic activity that could indicate a malignant tumour. Any suspicious areas are then usually checked against what is shown on a corresponding CT scan. However, a biopsy is the most accurate way of identifying if a lesion is melanoma.

Wishing you good luck with the biopsy results. 

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Alicia, the problem with FNA's is that it totally depends on hitting the right cells with the little needle.  Soometiimes they hit the spot, sometimes they don't.  I have had a couple of FNA's attempted by different people at different locations.  They were all inconclusive.

I had a PET scan of my groin in which they said there was no uptake shown on the PET.  I asked my surgeon to remove the growiing lump within the month.  He did and the melanoma tumor was the size  of the last joint of my little finger.  PETs are famous for both false negatives and false positives.  i will note that is would be unusual for both sides of the groin to have melanoma in the nodes at the same time.  Has CT scans shown any growth in the size of the "spots?"

alicia
                                Participant
                                  Thanks Jerry:) I just got home from Vandy a couple hrs ago. The radiologist did a core biopsy of 3 lymph nodes. One was in my left axillary region and then one in each of my deep femoral nodes. The axillary lymph node was enlarged and the other two groin nodes had an actual lesion that he took a core sample from. I should know results early next week. Im just so glad it’s now finally over!!!! They took 4 samples from each node so hopefully they should
                                  Get a good reading from the tissue;)

Much love,
                                  Alicia

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Waiting with you for those results. 

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Waiting with you for those results. 

alicia
                                      Participant
                                        Thanks Jerry:) I just got home from Vandy a couple hrs ago. The radiologist did a core biopsy of 3 lymph nodes. One was in my left axillary region and then one in each of my deep femoral nodes. The axillary lymph node was enlarged and the other two groin nodes had an actual lesion that he took a core sample from. I should know results early next week. Im just so glad it’s now finally over!!!! They took 4 samples from each node so hopefully they should
                                        Get a good reading from the tissue;)

Much love,
                                        Alicia

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Alicia, the problem with FNA's is that it totally depends on hitting the right cells with the little needle.  Soometiimes they hit the spot, sometimes they don't.  I have had a couple of FNA's attempted by different people at different locations.  They were all inconclusive.

I had a PET scan of my groin in which they said there was no uptake shown on the PET.  I asked my surgeon to remove the growiing lump within the month.  He did and the melanoma tumor was the size  of the last joint of my little finger.  PETs are famous for both false negatives and false positives.  i will note that is would be unusual for both sides of the groin to have melanoma in the nodes at the same time.  Has CT scans shown any growth in the size of the "spots?"

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics