The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Two Yervoy questions for Stage 3 clinical trial patients

Forums General Melanoma Community Two Yervoy questions for Stage 3 clinical trial patients

Participant

My daughter is currently planning to joinIng the current Stage 3 Yervoy trial, assuming we are lucky enough to get it. We have two questions for current  participants:

1) She just got a second opinion and we learned that the trial dosage of ipi is a lot higher than the approved dosage used to treat Stage 4, making it quite a bit more toxic. 15% supposedly get a severe reaction. Has anyone experienced this and had to drop out because of the toxicity?

My daughter is currently planning to joinIng the current Stage 3 Yervoy trial, assuming we are lucky enough to get it. We have two questions for current  participants:

1) She just got a second opinion and we learned that the trial dosage of ipi is a lot higher than the approved dosage used to treat Stage 4, making it quite a bit more toxic. 15% supposedly get a severe reaction. Has anyone experienced this and had to drop out because of the toxicity?

2) We have heard so many stories on this site from people who took lnterferon and relapsed during the treatment or shortly after. This is one factor in my daugther choosing not to take it. We haven't come across any similar stories for the ipi trial participants. Since there isn't data available yet on relapse rates, we'd appreciate hearing about relapses during or after ipi treatment, or better yet, hearing about staying NED after treatment.

Thanks for any information you can share with us.

BC

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        swissie
        Participant

Hello BC,

I don't post here very often, but I think it would help you if I tell you my experience.
          I am also stage III, and was / am in a trial with 10 mg / kg ipilimumab. It is a 3 year trial, which I started in September 2009.

The first 4 infusions were every 3 weeks, then it changed to the maintenence phase of once every 3 months.
          I started having itching / rash, tiredness and headaches during the first few weeks / months, nothing to serious.
          A few days after my 4th infusion I had a colitis, but steriods helped right away.

I continued the trial and eventually had 8 infusions. After that infusion I had the feeling that a fatigue that had been building up, just exploded. I was too tired to normally live my life. So at that moment, I decided that was all my body could have.

I ended the infusions, but still get my 3-monthly scans.
          At the scan after the 8th infusion, I found out my spleen was increased. That is a known side effect of the drug as well. All in all, I am happy I did the trial, and I am happy I ended it.

I am NED for 2 years and 3 months now, which is great!
          As I was clean before I started ipi, I will never know if my NED is due to ipi, or not.

All the best for you and your daughter,
          Sabine

bradcope1
            Participant

Hi Sabene,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. The best part is hearing that you are NED for 2 + years. The trial we are looking at appears to have a shorter maintenance phase (4 infusions) so it hopefully it will be more easily tolerated. This assumes we get ipi and not interferon of course. We'd prefer to do something over wait and see, but that's what we'll do if interferon is our only choice.

Wish us luck! Best,

BC

bradcope1
              Participant

Hi Sabene,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. The best part is hearing that you are NED for 2 + years. The trial we are looking at appears to have a shorter maintenance phase (4 infusions) so it hopefully it will be more easily tolerated. This assumes we get ipi and not interferon of course. We'd prefer to do something over wait and see, but that's what we'll do if interferon is our only choice.

Wish us luck! Best,

BC

bradcope1
                Participant

Hi Sabene,

Wish us luck! Best,

BC

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Great to hear you are doing well.  I have expectations that Ipi for Stage III people will reduce the reoccurrence rate.  I would have gone for it during my month of known stage III if they had allowed it.  In at least some cases it should help mop up stray cells that had escaped the operation.  Even a 10-20 % reduced reoccurance rate would be very good.

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Great to hear you are doing well.  I have expectations that Ipi for Stage III people will reduce the reoccurrence rate.  I would have gone for it during my month of known stage III if they had allowed it.  In at least some cases it should help mop up stray cells that had escaped the operation.  Even a 10-20 % reduced reoccurance rate would be very good.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

swissie
                      Participant

Hello BC,

I don't post here very often, but I think it would help you if I tell you my experience.
                        I am also stage III, and was / am in a trial with 10 mg / kg ipilimumab. It is a 3 year trial, which I started in September 2009.

The first 4 infusions were every 3 weeks, then it changed to the maintenence phase of once every 3 months.
                        I started having itching / rash, tiredness and headaches during the first few weeks / months, nothing to serious.
                        A few days after my 4th infusion I had a colitis, but steriods helped right away.

I continued the trial and eventually had 8 infusions. After that infusion I had the feeling that a fatigue that had been building up, just exploded. I was too tired to normally live my life. So at that moment, I decided that was all my body could have.

At the scan after the 8th infusion, I found out my spleen was increased. That is a known side effect of the drug as well. All in all, I am happy I did the trial, and I am happy I ended it.

As I was clean before I started ipi, I will never know if my NED is due to ipi, or not.

Sabine

swissie
                        Participant

Hello BC,

Sabine

CLPrice31
                          Participant

Hi there. So sorry to hear that your daughter has to go through the roller coaster that melanoma is. I'm 24, also a stage III melanoma warrior. I am particiating in the trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. Overall, I have handled things pretty well. I have had some stomach issues, but nothing that has caused me to stop living my normal life. During the initial stage of the trial I had to modify my diet a little (a bland diet) but honestly, it has not been horrible. I did complain of headaches during the first 12 weeks, but a few weeks after my 4th infusion, I really started to feel back to my normal self. I was tired….I took naps quite often. I had the worst reaction after the 4th dose….

Compared to what I have heard from warriors who have received Interferon, this trial is easier. I decided against Interferon based on the many reports that I read. Had I not been eligible for the ipi trial, I may have considered Interferon just to do SOMETHING. I think that's the hardest part about this cancer…..There are only so many things you can do to try to prevent it from advancing. I do not have much advice since I am just in the beginning stages. I go back the first week of November for my next treatment and set of scans. Feel free to read more about my experience if you would like! http://adventurewithmelanoma.blogspot.com  Best of luck to your daughter AND you! I know this experience has not been easy for my mom either.

bradcope1
                              Participant

HI. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the ipi trial. Like you, my daughter is 24 and still reeling from the diagnosis in July, and successful surgery in Oct. She has a few more weeks to make a decision on next steps. A lot for a young person to have to deal with. I will certainly share our comments with her and your blog. I think she will find your story and your approach to beating this inspiring. I certainly did.

Continued good luck and health. We will follow your story with great interest and channel our positivity your way.

Brad

bradcope1
                                Participant

HI. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the ipi trial. Like you, my daughter is 24 and still reeling from the diagnosis in July, and successful surgery in Oct. She has a few more weeks to make a decision on next steps. A lot for a young person to have to deal with. I will certainly share our comments with her and your blog. I think she will find your story and your approach to beating this inspiring. I certainly did.

Continued good luck and health. We will follow your story with great interest and channel our positivity your way.

Brad

bradcope1
                                  Participant

Brad

CLPrice31
                                    Participant

Brad, please keep us updated on your daughter! If she needs someone to chat with, please have her contact me. My email is [email protected].  Prayers, good wishes, and tons of good juju heading her way.

CLPrice31
                                      Participant

Brad, please keep us updated on your daughter! If she needs someone to chat with, please have her contact me. My email is [email protected].  Prayers, good wishes, and tons of good juju heading her way.

CLPrice31
                                        Participant

bradcope1
                                          Participant

I shared your blog with my daughter and she has reached out to you on her own. Her name is Hannah. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and insights with her. I know it will mean a lot to her. Best, Brad

bradcope1
                                            Participant

I shared your blog with my daughter and she has reached out to you on her own. Her name is Hannah. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and insights with her. I know it will mean a lot to her. Best, Brad

bradcope1
                                              Participant

mombase
                                                Participant

You are such a remarkable young woman! Thank you for writing your blog…I suspect your attitude of gratitude is a huge help in your struggle with melanoma. I saw that you are getting ready to participate in an AIM walk, and I realized that there is no such thing in Sacramento. How rude! The capital of the state of CA does not have a walk??? Well, I would like to do that, with a lot of help from folks who actually know how to organize one!  I had just commented (toungue in cheek) a few weeks a go about how I do want breast cancer patients to be cured, but that I had read somewhere that research scientists have enough money from campaigns to last for generations! That's what we need for melanoma. Celebrities die from melanoma, but I don't see the families behind huge campaigns to finance research.  So, I truly think this is going to be a grass roots effort for each and every one of us…doing anything we can to bring "the beast" to the forefront of peoples' awareness.

Cristy, Stage IV

justlittleoleme
                                                  Participant

Amen Cristy!

Thanks to all the monies donated to breast cancer research, it is now one of the most curable cancers!

Wouldn't it be great to say that about melanoma?!

justlittleoleme
                                                    Participant

Amen Cristy!

Thanks to all the monies donated to breast cancer research, it is now one of the most curable cancers!

justlittleoleme
                                                      Participant

Amen Cristy!

CLPrice31
                                                        Participant

Cristy, thank you! My mom was so smart in knowing that writing about my experience would be the best therapy for me. I'm grateful that she thought of it… I am participating in the walk in Charlotte! My friend Anne, stage I, actually organized the entire thing. YOu should TOTALLY talk to them about planning on in CA. I totally agree with you about breast cancer. Of course we want breast cancer to be cured, but does the majority of the money need to go towards it? Does all of the publicity need to be about breast cancer? If you are on Facebook, add me! My melanoma friends and I discuss our "pink envy" quite often. Best wishes to you, Cristy!

CLPrice31
                                                          Participant

Cristy, thank you! My mom was so smart in knowing that writing about my experience would be the best therapy for me. I'm grateful that she thought of it… I am participating in the walk in Charlotte! My friend Anne, stage I, actually organized the entire thing. YOu should TOTALLY talk to them about planning on in CA. I totally agree with you about breast cancer. Of course we want breast cancer to be cured, but does the majority of the money need to go towards it? Does all of the publicity need to be about breast cancer? If you are on Facebook, add me! My melanoma friends and I discuss our "pink envy" quite often. Best wishes to you, Cristy!

CLPrice31
                                                            Participant

mombase
                                                              Participant

You are such a remarkable young woman! Thank you for writing your blog…I suspect your attitude of gratitude is a huge help in your struggle with melanoma. I saw that you are getting ready to participate in an AIM walk, and I realized that there is no such thing in Sacramento. How rude! The capital of the state of CA does not have a walk??? Well, I would like to do that, with a lot of help from folks who actually know how to organize one!  I had just commented (toungue in cheek) a few weeks a go about how I do want breast cancer patients to be cured, but that I had read somewhere that research scientists have enough money from campaigns to last for generations! That's what we need for melanoma. Celebrities die from melanoma, but I don't see the families behind huge campaigns to finance research.  So, I truly think this is going to be a grass roots effort for each and every one of us…doing anything we can to bring "the beast" to the forefront of peoples' awareness.

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                                Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

CLPrice31
                                                                Participant

Hi there. So sorry to hear that your daughter has to go through the roller coaster that melanoma is. I'm 24, also a stage III melanoma warrior. I am particiating in the trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. Overall, I have handled things pretty well. I have had some stomach issues, but nothing that has caused me to stop living my normal life. During the initial stage of the trial I had to modify my diet a little (a bland diet) but honestly, it has not been horrible. I did complain of headaches during the first 12 weeks, but a few weeks after my 4th infusion, I really started to feel back to my normal self. I was tired….I took naps quite often. I had the worst reaction after the 4th dose….

Compared to what I have heard from warriors who have received Interferon, this trial is easier. I decided against Interferon based on the many reports that I read. Had I not been eligible for the ipi trial, I may have considered Interferon just to do SOMETHING. I think that's the hardest part about this cancer…..There are only so many things you can do to try to prevent it from advancing. I do not have much advice since I am just in the beginning stages. I go back the first week of November for my next treatment and set of scans. Feel free to read more about my experience if you would like! http://adventurewithmelanoma.blogspot.com  Best of luck to your daughter AND you! I know this experience has not been easy for my mom either.

CLPrice31
                                                                  Participant

Gracie
                                                                    Participant

Hi,

I was on the ipi/placibo trial for stage 3 almost a year with hardly any side effects. Though  I was more fatigued than usual and could not enjoy some spicy wings as often due to stomach sensitivity.  I also noticed a hightened allergy sensitivity.  My doc was sure I was getting the ipi, I did not think so, that is how mild my side effects were. Two tumors were found to have grown in the past year.  The study was unblinded and I was definately getting the drug.  I did not respond to the ipi but I do not regret my decision to do the ipi trial.  I had a good year of as much health as I could hope for.  Good luck to you and your daughter.

My advice is to make a decision on treatment that will allow the best possible quality of life then try to live as normal as possible.

My heart goes out to you both.

Gracie

Gracie
                                                                      Participant

Hi,

I was on the ipi/placibo trial for stage 3 almost a year with hardly any side effects. Though  I was more fatigued than usual and could not enjoy some spicy wings as often due to stomach sensitivity.  I also noticed a hightened allergy sensitivity.  My doc was sure I was getting the ipi, I did not think so, that is how mild my side effects were. Two tumors were found to have grown in the past year.  The study was unblinded and I was definately getting the drug.  I did not respond to the ipi but I do not regret my decision to do the ipi trial.  I had a good year of as much health as I could hope for.  Good luck to you and your daughter.

My advice is to make a decision on treatment that will allow the best possible quality of life then try to live as normal as possible.

Gracie

Gracie
                                                                        Participant

Hi,

Gracie

Jim M.
                                                                          Participant

Hi BC,

I had 4 infusions of Yervoy in 08 at 10mg/kg per dose. I was taken off the trial when I developed hypophysitis ( swelling of the pituitary gland). I've been on a hormone replacement since. I was NED going into the trial as I had the tumor removed beforehand.

Best of success,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

NED: 3 years, 11 months

Jim M.
                                                                            Participant

Hi BC,

I had 4 infusions of Yervoy in 08 at 10mg/kg per dose. I was taken off the trial when I developed hypophysitis ( swelling of the pituitary gland). I've been on a hormone replacement since. I was NED going into the trial as I had the tumor removed beforehand.

Best of success,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Jim M.
                                                                              Participant

Hi BC,

Best of success,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Cwaddell
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Thank you all for sharing your stories and much love and prayers to you all and families.
                                                                                    My mum is starting a stage III clinical trial of 3mg /kg Yervoy this week in Melbourne and obviously is terrified about going into this first stage.
                                                                                    After 4 strokes, a hear attack, Cerebal Heamoraage and this being the 2nd diagnosis of Melanoma (Diagnosed in the lymph nodes 3years ago and now just diagnosed in LH lung, bowel and stomach) mum amazingly still has full mobility & speech but has refused and further intrusive treatment after being given a 6-12mth life sentence.
                                                                                    We’ve read a lot of positive stories on Yervoy trials but most have been at the 10mg /kg dose.
                                                                                    Anyone who has / is undergoing trials at 3mg/kg please share what you’re comfortable sharing, any and all information going into this would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                    c
                                                                                    Cwaddell
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Thank you all for sharing your stories and much love and prayers to you all and families.
                                                                                      My mum is starting a stage III clinical trial of 3mg /kg Yervoy this week in Melbourne and obviously is terrified about going into this first stage.
                                                                                      After 4 strokes, a hear attack, Cerebal Heamoraage and this being the 2nd diagnosis of Melanoma (Diagnosed in the lymph nodes 3years ago and now just diagnosed in LH lung, bowel and stomach) mum amazingly still has full mobility & speech but has refused and further intrusive treatment after being given a 6-12mth life sentence.
                                                                                      We’ve read a lot of positive stories on Yervoy trials but most have been at the 10mg /kg dose.
                                                                                      Anyone who has / is undergoing trials at 3mg/kg please share what you’re comfortable sharing, any and all information going into this would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                      c
                                                                                      Cwaddell
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        c
                                                                                  Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics