The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Two questions — wide recision on leg

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Two questions — wide recision on leg

Participant

Hello all,

Thanks for allowing a person who feels like they have cancer but "not quite" join the group! I appreciate your feedback even though I'm not going through the difficulties that many of you are. 

I have a stage 1A (.3 mm) that's been biopsied and will have a wide excision in the 31st on my upper thigh. At the same time, I'll have a biopsy of a changed mole on my ankle.

I have two questions: 1) If melanoma cells show up in the margins of the wide excision, what does that mean? What happens next?  2) How much pain/difficulty did you find in recovering from a wide excision on your thigh and/or a biopsy on your ankle?

The biopsy on my thigh became infected somehow and it's been more painful than I thought it would be (there seems to be a very sensitive nerve near there) and it's really interfered with my ability to get excercise. I'm very worries how the wide excision will feel along with the ankle biospy (inside ankle) given that's a place that moves A LOT.

I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have had biopsies and/or wide excisions on their upper thighs and ankles. I have already read what's on the side related to ankles, but those mostly involved skin grafts. Fortunately, this should not, nor should it involve any lymph removal.

Thanks so much!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

An answer to your question regarding the procedure on your ankle may be dependent on factors such as your age, whether you are diabetic, and related factors which may affect blood flow to the area. If you are middle aged / younger, healing will likely proceed at a normal pace, although the relative lack of tissue on the ankle may require limited movement to facilitate recovery and perhaps a tad more discomfort than in other more fleshy areas.

The thigh, with ample blood flow and tissue mass, should be the reverse of the above, with the exception that you will want to avoid motions which may stress the excision area; given the strength of the thigh muscles, sutures always lose (!).

Hope this helps.

QuietPoet
            Participant

Thank you, Jamie 1960!

If anyone has an answer to the question about cancer cells showing up in a wide excision, I would appreciate knowing.

Jamie1960
              Participant

PS – if (observable, rather than micrometastases) occur in the margins following your procedure, the initial margins were inadequate and the site is resected to remove remaining cells. Your initial excision should therefor be wide enough so that a second procedure is not needed. Afterward, your surgical oncologist should be seen at regular intervals to check for recurrence at the original surgical site however simply because micrometastases may have remained. Once you receive the all clear, the frequency of follow up visits with your surgeon will likely be extended. Do NOT neglect to stay on a regular schedule with your dermatologist and do continue to perform periodic ABCDE self checks.

QuietPoet
                Participant

Thank you so much Jamie1960! I really appreciate this.

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics