The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Twenty Year Anniversary

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Twenty Year Anniversary

Participant

I have just reached the 20th anniversary of my diagnosis of melanona, which was Stage IV at diagnosis, with metastases to both lungs and various subcutaneous sites.  I was very fortunate to be referred to NIH where I had a complete response to IL-2 in 1992.  After several years of worrying about a recurrence, I now don't really think about recurrence.  It was a great pleasure to meet some of you at a melanoma conference in Chapel Hill, NC a couple of years ago.

I have just reached the 20th anniversary of my diagnosis of melanona, which was Stage IV at diagnosis, with metastases to both lungs and various subcutaneous sites.  I was very fortunate to be referred to NIH where I had a complete response to IL-2 in 1992.  After several years of worrying about a recurrence, I now don't really think about recurrence.  It was a great pleasure to meet some of you at a melanoma conference in Chapel Hill, NC a couple of years ago.

I continue to read the posts on this site with great sympathy, and occasionally contribute.  I just wanted to offer myself as an example that people can have positive outcomes from even what appears to be a dire consequence.  I don't know why I did well when others don't, but I am very grateful.  My wish for my fellow warriors is for healing, in whatever way that comes, whether physical, emotional, or spritual.

Rick

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Rick,

Thank you for posting such inspiring news.  Many on this board will be encouraged by your success story.  Thanks for making my day…and here's to many more decades of NED status!!!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Rick,

Thank you for posting such inspiring news.  Many on this board will be encouraged by your success story.  Thanks for making my day…and here's to many more decades of NED status!!!

Tricia

triciad
            Participant

Rick,

Tricia

Gene_S
              Participant

Congratulations Rick that is great news.  I wish you continued success.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                Participant

Gene_S
                  Participant

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Rick! How nice to see you posting. Congratualtions on making such a grand milestone, and thanks for posting

dian

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Rick! How nice to see you posting. Congratualtions on making such a grand milestone, and thanks for posting

dian

dian in spokane
                        Participant

dian

lhaley
                          Participant

Rick,

I loved getting to meet you in Chapel Hill and to get to hear your fantastic results.  Your inspirational story is enough for anyone to still take the chance to try IL2!  20 years of being NED after stage IV can realize that we also have a chance to move on.  

Congratulations on 20 years!  How much wonderful!

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

Rick,

I loved getting to meet you in Chapel Hill and to get to hear your fantastic results.  Your inspirational story is enough for anyone to still take the chance to try IL2!  20 years of being NED after stage IV can realize that we also have a chance to move on.  

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Rick,

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                                Participant

Rick, congratulations on this truly incredible achievement! I have looked at your profile, and see that Dr Steven Rosenberg was your doctor. I certainly think that he is one of the leading experts in melanoma treatment and research.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                  Participant

Rick, congratulations on this truly incredible achievement! I have looked at your profile, and see that Dr Steven Rosenberg was your doctor. I certainly think that he is one of the leading experts in melanoma treatment and research.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

momof2kids
                                      Participant

WOW…I'm amazed to hear you were diagnosed Stage IV and have been here 20 years, this is great news for all us fighters, especially Stage IV like myself, who is still feeling like I'll never see my children grow up (Ages 2 & 6).

momof2kids
                                        Participant

WOW…I'm amazed to hear you were diagnosed Stage IV and have been here 20 years, this is great news for all us fighters, especially Stage IV like myself, who is still feeling like I'll never see my children grow up (Ages 2 & 6).

momof2kids
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Rick, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you at Chapel Hill.  The timing was so great since the day before someone had posted on here that EVERYONE that ever had IL-2 had re-occurred.  Your appearance at the symposium was greatly appreciated.  Your history is such an inspiration to so many of us.  Hope to see you again.  ENJOY life.

JerryfromFauq (Stage IV, not NED, but still here thanks to being a partial responder to IL-2 in 2007/21008.)

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

Rick, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you at Chapel Hill.  The timing was so great since the day before someone had posted on here that EVERYONE that ever had IL-2 had re-occurred.  Your appearance at the symposium was greatly appreciated.  Your history is such an inspiration to so many of us.  Hope to see you again.  ENJOY life.

JerryfromFauq (Stage IV, not NED, but still here thanks to being a partial responder to IL-2 in 2007/21008.)

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

AlisonC
                                                  Participant
                                                    Congratulations Rick..

That is truly fabulous news and it’s so lovely for you to take the time to post here to give hope to others…

I hope to see you posting your 30th and 40th as well πŸ˜‰

AlisonC
                                                    Stage IIIB
                                                    NED since 2001

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

Congratulations!

Thanks for posting your great news, Rick. 

It certainly gives me hope the day before I go back for more IL-2.

be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                        Participant

Congratulations!

be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Congratulations!

be well,

karen

AlisonC
                                                          Participant
                                                            Congratulations Rick..

That is truly fabulous news and it’s so lovely for you to take the time to post here to give hope to others…

AlisonC
                                                            Stage IIIB
                                                            NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                            Participant
                                                              Congratulations Rick..

AlisonC
                                                              Stage IIIB
                                                              NED since 2001

MariaH
                                                              Participant

Congratulations!  And thank you for hanging around… it gives so many here HOPE! 

Cheers, and best wishes for another 20 years.

MariaH
                                                                Participant

MariaH
                                                                  Participant

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Great to see you post Rick.  It is important for people to know melanoma is not a death sentence as you have well proven.

It was a treat to get to meet you last year at Chapel Hill.  Keep onnnnnnnnnn keeping on my friend !.

Here's link to the  pic of Rick (and others)http://melasuckanoma.com/ at Chapel Hill last year.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

Great to see you post Rick.  It is important for people to know melanoma is not a death sentence as you have well proven.

It was a treat to get to meet you last year at Chapel Hill.  Keep onnnnnnnnnn keeping on my friend !.

Here's link to the  pic of Rick (and others)http://melasuckanoma.com/ at Chapel Hill last year.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                        Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

King
                                                                          Participant

Rick,

Wow!  I'm impressed. πŸ™‚  Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great news!  I've seen posts from you over the years but guess I never knew your history (or forgot it like so many other things these days).

Celebrate and thanks for sharing.  Your post should give hope to so many warriors.

Stay Strong
                                                                            King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                                            Participant

Rick,

Wow!  I'm impressed. πŸ™‚  Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great news!  I've seen posts from you over the years but guess I never knew your history (or forgot it like so many other things these days).

Celebrate and thanks for sharing.  Your post should give hope to so many warriors.

Stay Strong
                                                                              King

King
                                                                              Participant

Rick,

Stay Strong
                                                                                King

NancyGM
                                                                                Participant

What beautiful news, Rick. I am so very happy for you. Thank you for the great inspiration your story offers!

NancyGM
                                                                                  Participant

What beautiful news, Rick. I am so very happy for you. Thank you for the great inspiration your story offers!

NancyGM
                                                                                    Participant

LEEPOINTON
                                                                                      Participant

This is fantastic news and a great inspirational story for me to read as I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last year and at my 12 month check my consultant discovered a lump under my arm, after  biopsy they results came back as metastatic malignant melanoma. I had a full node disecction 8 weeks ago and I have worried myself silly every day and every night that this is now it for me. I am 40 years old, I have read on numerous sites the horror stories and endless bad vibe prognosis, but this has given me HOPE. Thank you, and heres to another 20 years. 

Lee

LEEPOINTON
                                                                                        Participant

This is fantastic news and a great inspirational story for me to read as I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last year and at my 12 month check my consultant discovered a lump under my arm, after  biopsy they results came back as metastatic malignant melanoma. I had a full node disecction 8 weeks ago and I have worried myself silly every day and every night that this is now it for me. I am 40 years old, I have read on numerous sites the horror stories and endless bad vibe prognosis, but this has given me HOPE. Thank you, and heres to another 20 years. 

Lee

LEEPOINTON
                                                                                          Participant

Lee

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics