The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TVEC questions

Forums General Melanoma Community TVEC questions

Participant

Good Morning Melanoma Family,

I have my first TVEC injection on December 20th.  Been through consultation, ultrasound, examination, and everything else under the sun.  They are waiting on insurance approval and plan on injecting me when I get my next Pembro dose.  They have answered all my questions about this and that, but they lack something this board does not.  There are people on here that have been through it already and I have learned the information of those on the front lines matters a whole lot.

Anyone out there have real experience with this?  I am also wondering about the possibility of infecting my wife, kids or other family members with the Herpes they inject.  My onc has addressed this stuff, but the more info I can gather the better.

Thank you all for all the help you have given me and everyone else that comes here confused, scared or anxious. 

Brad

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Bradley, I am not sure if anyone that is a current member on the MRF forum has experience with t-vec, that being said,may be someone will post. On another melanoma site there is a guy that is very active from Texas and he is doing great after having T-vec + Pembro and I am sure he would respond to any request of information. You can look him up on "Melanoma support melanomies united" you have to join the closed facebook group or you can try reaching out to him on facebook. His name is Kent Gilliam and there is a picture of him on his bike with an American flag in the background on his facebook page. Best Wishes!!!Ed 

Bradley75
            Participant

Thank you very much for the info.  You have been so helpful over the years.  I appreciate it very much. 

-Brad

Bubbles
            Participant

Hi Brad, 

I am sorry you are going through this, but super glad that this is where the science has come for you.  

Here is a link to T-VEC/talimogene laherparepvec/Imlygic information page:  https://www.imlygic.com/  

Which states:  

The IMLYGIC® virus can spread to other areas of your body or to your close contacts (household members, caregivers, sex partners, or persons sharing the same bed). Do the following to avoid spreading IMLYGIC® to other areas of your body or to your close contacts. You should share this information with them:

Avoid direct contact between your treatment sites, dressings, or body fluids and close contacts (for example, use condoms when engaging in sexual activity, avoid kissing close contacts if either of you has an open mouth sore).
              Don’t touch or scratch the parts of your body that have been injected with IMLYGIC®.
              Wear gloves while putting on or changing your dressings.
              Keep treatment sites covered with airtight and watertight dressings for at least 1 week after each treatment (or longer if the treatment site is weeping or oozing).
              Replace dressings right away with a clean dressing if they become loose or come off.
              Place all used dressings and cleaning materials in a sealed plastic bag, and throw them away in the garbage.  

I have not taken this treatment personally, but here is a great deal of information on T-VEC:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=t-vec  

Here is a great deal of info on intralesionals generally:  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=intralesional&max-results=20&by-date=true  

Hopefully others with more direct experience will respond.  However, you may look up TexMelanomamex's posts as he is taking pembro with PV-10.  Hope that helps.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Bradley75
                Participant

You and Ed are always so helpful.  Thank you so very much.

-Brad

Lucas
                Participant

I start Tvec injections tomorrow Dec. 6th. I am currently on Nivo and my disease burden is low. Just a few pencil size marks on my foot and one small sub q. I ahve also been through many steps to finally be staring.  Ed is right about Melahomies on Facebook. Many on that site have had a positive experience with Tvec. I believe the chance of developing actual herpes or passing it, is very rare. Hopefully I can also share a positive experience soon.

Bradley75
                    Participant

Lucas, 

Thank you for the response.  I look forward to reading about your experience.  I will share mine as well in case it might help you or someone else.

-Brad

kentuckycat
                    Participant

Hi Brad,

I have had t-vec in a nodal lesion and unfortunately it did not work for me.  The tumor got rather big during the t-vec injections and we were hoping it was working and eventually start shrinking.  Unfortunately it continued to get bigger.  I was getting pembro at the same time.   I had to switch over to a b-raf inhibitor and that shrunk the nodal lesion almost immediately.  I have not had any symptoms of herpes.  I wish you the best of luck.  I have heard others have had a more positive experience.  

Bradley75
                        Participant

Hi kentuckycat,

I am sorry to he this about your experience.  I have also been a non-responder to some treatments or had progression while being treated.  It is never fun to hear those words.  Best of luck to you as well.

Brad

maryb-z
                        Participant
                          Hi Brad,
                          I had 3 lesions in my lower leg that I opted to try T-vec as opposed to another surgery. After 5 of the scheduled 12 sessions the lesions could no longer be detected so treatment stopped. I was NED 14 months but this past August a lesion showed up farther up my leg. I opted for surgery and Opdivo. I was having far too many surgeries and wanted a systemic approach.

T-vec was very doable. Someone recommended I take Claritin D before injections and a few days after to lessen aches and pains. It worked for me. I had some fatigue too, but nothing major. Good luck!

maryb-z
                            Participant
                              Brad in regards to your concern about herpes I have not had to deal with this. I asked dr. about it and other than sexual contact she felt kissing my loved ones or sharing the same drinking glass would not increase chances of spreading herpes.
                        Viewing 4 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics