The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Turmeric use

Forums General Melanoma Community Turmeric use

Participant
      Wanting advice , I’ve been reading on the benefits of turmeric for melanoma. Wondering if anyone has had results. Currently my husband is on mekinist and taflinar and doing well . Has some joint and muscle pain and very fatigue. He does take several supplements, co-q10, d3, vitamin b complex , fish oil. After reading thinking of adding turmeric. Anyone advice is welcomed . Thank you
    Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

There is real live data supporting the claims that curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) actually works to destroy melanoma cells…though mostly in the petri dish and mice:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-melanomaeat-that-curryagain-we-just.html

I doubt that eating more curry, mustard, etc would harm anyone.  There are curcumin supplements you can buy as well and some have better absorption rates than others.  However, this report is a valid word of caution that perhaps we should all consider when adding alternative therapies to our medical treatment regimens:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/05/combining-alternative-and-conventional.html

Whatever you decide…I wish you and your husband well.  Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

There is real live data supporting the claims that curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) actually works to destroy melanoma cells…though mostly in the petri dish and mice:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-melanomaeat-that-curryagain-we-just.html

I doubt that eating more curry, mustard, etc would harm anyone.  There are curcumin supplements you can buy as well and some have better absorption rates than others.  However, this report is a valid word of caution that perhaps we should all consider when adding alternative therapies to our medical treatment regimens:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/05/combining-alternative-and-conventional.html

stevecathy
              Participant
                Thank you Celeste, I hoped you seen this post , I welcome your advice . You are truly an inspiration. Thank you
                stevecathy
                Participant
                  Thank you Celeste, I hoped you seen this post , I welcome your advice . You are truly an inspiration. Thank you
                  stevecathy
                  Participant
                  Bubbles
                  Participant

Johnjk04
                    Participant

Jan. 2012 melanoma in brain, lungs, liver, gall bladder and adrenal gland.

Started ippi/nivo trial, took turmeric capsule everyday.

2 cranitoriums, 3 Cyper Knifes and gall bladder excised.

NED since Aug. 2012.

For a few bucks why not take the turmeric capsules.

Johnjk04
                      Participant

NED since Aug. 2012.

Johnjk04
                        Participant

NED since Aug. 2012.

stevecathy
                            Participant
                              Thank you John, may you continue Ned. Blessings to you
                              stevecathy
                              Participant
                                stevecathy
                                Participant
                                  Scared99
                                  Participant

John, what brand and dosage do you take? I have read amazing things about tumeric for all types of cancer and cancer prevention. 

Scared99
                                    Participant

John, what brand and dosage do you take? I have read amazing things about tumeric for all types of cancer and cancer prevention. 

Scared99
                                      Participant

Johnjk04
                                      Participant

1 capsule per day   Puritan's Pride turmeric curcumin 500mg

Did it help me? I don't know. My oncologist said no and not to take it 

to skewer the clinical trial. When you are fighting for your life you will definetly do

what you feel is best for you. Best wishes for both of you.

Johnjk04
                                        Participant

to skewer the clinical trial. When you are fighting for your life you will definetly do

Johnjk04
                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                            Participant

I've used tumeric for joint inflammation for a couple of years now. I didn't want to take the heavy doses of anti-inflammatory medicine the rhumatologist prescribed, so I tried natural ways. Always ask his doctor before adding another supplement/natural remedy to his list. Do some research on how much to take and what brands of supplements are good. I just buy high quality tumeric powder and put it in orange juice or smoothies. I add black pepper since it helps in the absorption of the curcumin. 

This website has a lot of info about tumeric and some brands that are good:

It seems to help with my joint inflammation, probably not as much as a strong NSAID, but it's a nice alternative. I don't know about it fighting melanoma or cancer in general. I don't really go for the full natural cancer fighting remedy stuff. But, for joint problems, it's definitely an option.

scpage
                                                Participant

I have taken Tumeric since my RA diagnosis ten years ago, on the advice of my rheumatologist.   I know it helps relieve much of my pain and swelling, as I found out when I had to stop taking it for two weeks before having wrist surgery!  Not sure about the cancer benefits though, as I was just diagnosed with malignant melanoma.

scpage
                                                  Participant

I have taken Tumeric since my RA diagnosis ten years ago, on the advice of my rheumatologist.   I know it helps relieve much of my pain and swelling, as I found out when I had to stop taking it for two weeks before having wrist surgery!  Not sure about the cancer benefits though, as I was just diagnosed with malignant melanoma.

scpage
                                                    Participant

jennunicorn
                                                    Participant

I've used tumeric for joint inflammation for a couple of years now. I didn't want to take the heavy doses of anti-inflammatory medicine the rhumatologist prescribed, so I tried natural ways. Always ask his doctor before adding another supplement/natural remedy to his list. Do some research on how much to take and what brands of supplements are good. I just buy high quality tumeric powder and put it in orange juice or smoothies. I add black pepper since it helps in the absorption of the curcumin. 

It seems to help with my joint inflammation, probably not as much as a strong NSAID, but it's a nice alternative. I don't know about it fighting melanoma or cancer in general. I don't really go for the full natural cancer fighting remedy stuff. But, for joint problems, it's definitely an option.

jennunicorn
                                                      Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hi Cathy! First, congrats on being a champion for your husband! We warriors need all the help we can get, and I truly couldn’t do this without my hubby. As others here have said, Turmeric is a great natural anti-inflammatory. Chronic inflammation has lots of negative effects on the body, including joint pain and a decreased immune system.

Here’s an article from Tufts Medical center about chronic inflammation: http://now.tufts.edu/articles/body-fire

I’ve told my oncologist that I’m taking turmeric and he didn’t flinch. Many here have asked their doctors, and they have positive things to say about the benefits of Turmeric. Make sure you take one with black pepper, as it helps to increase absorption. I take the “Dr. Recommended” brand, but there are lots out there.

Best of luck to you and your hubby!
                                                          Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                          Participant
                                                            Hi Cathy! First, congrats on being a champion for your husband! We warriors need all the help we can get, and I truly couldn’t do this without my hubby. As others here have said, Turmeric is a great natural anti-inflammatory. Chronic inflammation has lots of negative effects on the body, including joint pain and a decreased immune system.

Here’s an article from Tufts Medical center about chronic inflammation: http://now.tufts.edu/articles/body-fire

I’ve told my oncologist that I’m taking turmeric and he didn’t flinch. Many here have asked their doctors, and they have positive things to say about the benefits of Turmeric. Make sure you take one with black pepper, as it helps to increase absorption. I take the “Dr. Recommended” brand, but there are lots out there.

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                            Participant

Lauren

Issy
                                                              Participant

Just wanted to pass this information along. My brother was on BRAF/MEK twice, each time he had a wonderful 16 month run. We were told by his medical team not to take Tumeric supplements as they did not know the effects on the drugs. Also on one of the Cancer websites it also advise against taking the tumeric supplements while on cancer drugs.

Issy
                                                                Participant

Just wanted to pass this information along. My brother was on BRAF/MEK twice, each time he had a wonderful 16 month run. We were told by his medical team not to take Tumeric supplements as they did not know the effects on the drugs. Also on one of the Cancer websites it also advise against taking the tumeric supplements while on cancer drugs.

stevecathy
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      I’ve read a lot of benefits from turmeric, however his oncologist has advised against it while he is in his current treatment. Thank you everyone for advice and information. This site is a blessing to me .
                                                                      stevecathy
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        I’ve read a lot of benefits from turmeric, however his oncologist has advised against it while he is in his current treatment. Thank you everyone for advice and information. This site is a blessing to me .
                                                                        stevecathy
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        Issy
                                                                        Participant

Georgi524
                                                                          Participant

I suffer from a long term lower back problem and have stopped taking tablets for the pain, and the turmeric appears to be a much better alternative. I use turmeric for about a year. And I had no more inflammatory issues. I put in about everything I cook, even in sweets and salads. It would work quicker if we add black pepper with the whole ground turmeric. It’s pretty difficult to get whole turmeric. I buy it from horton spice mills ( http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=69 ).  

Georgi524
                                                                            Participant

I suffer from a long term lower back problem and have stopped taking tablets for the pain, and the turmeric appears to be a much better alternative. I use turmeric for about a year. And I had no more inflammatory issues. I put in about everything I cook, even in sweets and salads. It would work quicker if we add black pepper with the whole ground turmeric. It’s pretty difficult to get whole turmeric. I buy it from horton spice mills ( http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=69 ).  

Georgi524
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics