The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Turmeric/Curcumin

Forums General Melanoma Community Turmeric/Curcumin

Participant

Wanting to be sure my husband is taking the best supplements to potentially prevent a recurrence.  He is taking D3 5000iu, CoQ10 300mg,  Green Tea and Turmeric.  I am wondering if anyone has had a recommendation on Turmeric or Curcumin dosage or a high concentration brand of supplement?  He is taking Gaia brand… 1 capsule is 480mg Turmeric root (36mg of Curcumin).  Also, how much CoQ10 should he be taking?

Any other suggestions.  He is currently in month 5 of Interferon tx.

Thanks

Kelly

Wanting to be sure my husband is taking the best supplements to potentially prevent a recurrence.  He is taking D3 5000iu, CoQ10 300mg,  Green Tea and Turmeric.  I am wondering if anyone has had a recommendation on Turmeric or Curcumin dosage or a high concentration brand of supplement?  He is taking Gaia brand… 1 capsule is 480mg Turmeric root (36mg of Curcumin).  Also, how much CoQ10 should he be taking?

Any other suggestions.  He is currently in month 5 of Interferon tx.

Thanks

Kelly

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carmon in NM
        Participant

I take Jarrow Formula – Curcumin 95 which is 95% curcuminoids. I take 1,000 mg/day. You might want to check on taking that much D3. If he isn't deficient and he is taking that much it can have negative effects.

Carmon in NM
          Participant

I take Jarrow Formula – Curcumin 95 which is 95% curcuminoids. I take 1,000 mg/day. You might want to check on taking that much D3. If he isn't deficient and he is taking that much it can have negative effects.

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

Most curcumin taken is either called curcumin or Tumeric extract and is 95% curcumiin.  Regular tumeric only contains aaround 5% or less curcumin.  The minimun tumeric extract I have seen recommended for theraputic effect is 500 mg.   Most rmost references say it is safe up thru at least 2000 units aa day.  I have seen a few sources that go up to 3000 per day.  The packages contain warnings agains taking withiin two weeks of surgery.  This includes oral surgery.  I also stopped taking it for 6 months after I had major body truma due to an accident.

ockelly
                Participant

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex 1000 mg.  Through research I found out that it is the brand that MD Anderson is using in its clinical trials.  That's good enough for me 🙂  

Kelly

ockelly
                  Participant

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex 1000 mg.  Through research I found out that it is the brand that MD Anderson is using in its clinical trials.  That's good enough for me 🙂  

Kelly

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Most curcumin taken is either called curcumin or Tumeric extract and is 95% curcumiin.  Regular tumeric only contains aaround 5% or less curcumin.  The minimun tumeric extract I have seen recommended for theraputic effect is 500 mg.   Most rmost references say it is safe up thru at least 2000 units aa day.  I have seen a few sources that go up to 3000 per day.  The packages contain warnings agains taking withiin two weeks of surgery.  This includes oral surgery.  I also stopped taking it for 6 months after I had major body truma due to an accident.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics