The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tumors with central necrosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Tumors with central necrosis

Participant
      Hi all,

I had a CT scan the other day because of the amount of disease around my neck, and because it had become painful overnight.

Ever the optimist, I took the inflammation and pain as the tumors being attacked. My doctor, however, wanted a CT.

We haven’t directly discussed the results, though I’ve been set up with a head and neck cancer surgeon tomorrow for a consult, to evaluate my swallowing as a result of the CT.

In the meantime, the CT was released to me, and the official findings note that several of the tumors show “central necrosis”.

Is this good or bad? Is the tumor dying, or it actively killing the lymph node its taken over?

Tim

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          An MRI showed that a melanoma tumor in a lymph node under my left jaw had a hollow center. I was told that it is common for the center of a tumor to consist of dead tissue. The cancer may have destroyed blood vessels that nourished itself. I had immunotherapy and radiation.
            TimCT
            Participant
              Thanks Edwin. What happened to that particular tumor?
              Edwin
              Participant
                That tumor gradually showed less active in PET scans. My last two PET scans showed NED.
                MelMel
                Participant
                  So Edwin, the tumor you are referring to is still present but inactive, thus they assume dead and therefore you have the NED status? I have been trying to find information on necrotic tumors yet it seems next to impossible. My oncologists believes that melanoma tumors need to be completely gone in order to be NED and she does not consider necrotic ones to be part of NED. I read numerous scientific papers on the issue and while I initially thought that having a necrotic tumor is favorable, much of the scientific literature says otherwise. Getting to the bottom of this issue unfortunately seems like pulling teeth for some reason. If anyone could shed some light on this issue, I would be most grateful and most appreciative.
                  Melanie
                  TimCT
                  Participant
                    Hey all, I spoke with the surgeon today, and asked about necrosis. As expected, the answer was non conclusive. He explained to me that when they see tumors growing, they display necrosis because they’re active. However, they also show it when they’re shrinking and dying. So as with everything melanoma related, it depends on your personal situation. Just another data point to be interpreted as best they can, for you.
                    THMoore
                    Participant
                      Sounds like my visits. I always try and go prepared with questions but somehow end up more confused with more questions. Thus, I spend a lot of time talking to people and asking for answers. I hate being a number and feeling like a statistic. Anyway, hoping for the best for you and everyone in this forum. Trent
                      THMoore
                      Participant
                        Sounds like my visits. I always try and go prepared with questions but somehow end up more confused with more questions. Thus, I spend a lot of time talking to people and asking for answers. I hate being a number and feeling like a statistic. Anyway, hoping for the best for you and everyone in this forum. Trent
                  Viewing 0 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics