The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tumor on lung, done IL2 & Yervoy-now what?

Forums General Melanoma Community Tumor on lung, done IL2 & Yervoy-now what?

Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on my brothers situation-

To sum up:

3 tumors on Lung, stage 4(original site was on back 4, 7, and 9 years ago)

IL2 (2 weeks in the hosptial, 20 bags total) February 2012

Yervoy (4 injections over 2.5 months, serious colitis in August-September) April-June 2012

Last update December 2012, still have one tumor, however it has shrunk a lot. Clear PET and CT scan on other locations.

Doctor suggested 3 options:

1. Wait and see

2. Surgery to remove the one tumor

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on my brothers situation-

To sum up:

3 tumors on Lung, stage 4(original site was on back 4, 7, and 9 years ago)

IL2 (2 weeks in the hosptial, 20 bags total) February 2012

Yervoy (4 injections over 2.5 months, serious colitis in August-September) April-June 2012

Last update December 2012, still have one tumor, however it has shrunk a lot. Clear PET and CT scan on other locations.

Doctor suggested 3 options:

1. Wait and see

2. Surgery to remove the one tumor

3. Radiation

Wouldn't a combination of surgery and radiation be best?

THank you SOOOOOOO much for any advice you can give!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant
          Hi Kelly,
          They say surgery is the best in melanoma. This is great news!! From 4 to 1….. Awesome!!
          All the best,
          Denise
          DeniseK
          Participant
            Hi Kelly,
            They say surgery is the best in melanoma. This is great news!! From 4 to 1….. Awesome!!
            All the best,
            Denise
            DeniseK
            Participant
              Hi Kelly,
              All the best,
              Denise
              POW
              Participant

I agree with Denise. Melanoma tends to be resistant to radiation and radiation itself damages healthy tissues. So if a tumor can be removed surgically, that's the best way to go.

POW
                Participant

I agree with Denise. Melanoma tends to be resistant to radiation and radiation itself damages healthy tissues. So if a tumor can be removed surgically, that's the best way to go.

POW
                  Participant

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Kelly,

If the tumor is still shrinking, I would suggest a wait and see. If it continues to shrink, you probably vaccinated yourself using your immune system. Thats a good thing. If tumor progresses, then I would suggest surgery and radiation or Anti-PD-1 therapy

best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

Kelly,

If the tumor is still shrinking, I would suggest a wait and see. If it continues to shrink, you probably vaccinated yourself using your immune system. Thats a good thing. If tumor progresses, then I would suggest surgery and radiation or Anti-PD-1 therapy

best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

Kelly,

best regards,

Jimmy B

TSchulz
                          Participant

If it were me – I'd continue to watch it, especially if it is not lighting up on PET.  If it starts to grow or other foci show up I would consider:

1.  If it remains the only site of disease and is growing – surgery if it is possible

2. If it remains stable and other sites show up: either a TIL treatment (NIH / MDA or Moffitt) or an Anti PD-1 trial.  

Good luck – I hope the thing just melts away.

Troy

Kelly7
                              Participant

Hi,

My brother had his PET scan on Saturday, we get the results on Friday…….Keeping my fingers crossed…

Thank you for the responses. 

Kelly7
                                Participant

Hi,

My brother had his PET scan on Saturday, we get the results on Friday…….Keeping my fingers crossed…

Kelly7
                                  Participant

Hi,

TSchulz
                                  Participant

If it were me – I'd continue to watch it, especially if it is not lighting up on PET.  If it starts to grow or other foci show up I would consider:

1.  If it remains the only site of disease and is growing – surgery if it is possible

2. If it remains stable and other sites show up: either a TIL treatment (NIH / MDA or Moffitt) or an Anti PD-1 trial.  

Troy

TSchulz
                                    Participant

Troy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics