The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TUMERIC

Forums General Melanoma Community TUMERIC

Participant

Are you guys taking it and HOW MUCH ?

Thanks

Nancy (devoted wife of 3X Warrior Wayne) 

Are you guys taking it and HOW MUCH ?

Thanks

Nancy (devoted wife of 3X Warrior Wayne) 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Angelica Camargo
        Participant

Yes, my mom is started taking Tumeric (Thorne Research, Meriva-SR, Curcumin Phytosome) as soon as she got diagnose with Mucosal Melanoma (March 2012). I will check how many mg is she taking daily. 

mcanova
            Participant

Hello Nancy,

A freind that was trained as a Pharmacist and dealing with cancer himself suggested Curcumin.  I've been taking 900Mg with 5 Mg Bioperine (pepper) in a single capsule daily.  The Bioperine is supposed to increase absorbsion significanly.  I was taking almost 3000 Mg per day, but backed down when I found out about the Bioperine.

Everything I read about it is good, but if you are taking prescribed medication, run it by your doc first.

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
              Participant

Hello Nancy,

A freind that was trained as a Pharmacist and dealing with cancer himself suggested Curcumin.  I've been taking 900Mg with 5 Mg Bioperine (pepper) in a single capsule daily.  The Bioperine is supposed to increase absorbsion significanly.  I was taking almost 3000 Mg per day, but backed down when I found out about the Bioperine.

Everything I read about it is good, but if you are taking prescribed medication, run it by your doc first.

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
                Participant

Hello Nancy,

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond

Angelica Camargo
                Participant

Yes, my mom is started taking Tumeric (Thorne Research, Meriva-SR, Curcumin Phytosome) as soon as she got diagnose with Mucosal Melanoma (March 2012). I will check how many mg is she taking daily. 

Angelica Camargo
                  Participant

JC
                    Participant

Is there any scientific evidence about any of these things having benefit?

JC
                      Participant

Linny
                          Participant

MD Anderson has done several studies on it. Apparently it works in a laboratory setting:

http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

M. D. Anderson News Release 07/11/05

Curcumin, the pungent yellow spice found in both turmeric and curry powders, blocks a key biological pathway needed for development of melanoma and other cancers, say researchers from The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

The study, to be published in the August 15, 2005 issue of the journal Cancer, but available on line at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) on Monday, July 11, demonstrates how curcumin stops laboratory strains of melanoma from proliferating and pushes the cancer cells to commit suicide.

It does this, researchers say, by shutting down nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), a powerful protein known to promote an abnormal inflammatory response that leads to a variety of disorders, including arthritis and cancer.

The study is the latest to suggest that curcumin has potent anticancer powers, say the researchers.

Linny
                            Participant

MD Anderson has done several studies on it. Apparently it works in a laboratory setting:

http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

Curcumin, the pungent yellow spice found in both turmeric and curry powders, blocks a key biological pathway needed for development of melanoma and other cancers, say researchers from The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.

The study, to be published in the August 15, 2005 issue of the journal Cancer, but available on line at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) on Monday, July 11, demonstrates how curcumin stops laboratory strains of melanoma from proliferating and pushes the cancer cells to commit suicide.

It does this, researchers say, by shutting down nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), a powerful protein known to promote an abnormal inflammatory response that leads to a variety of disorders, including arthritis and cancer.

The study is the latest to suggest that curcumin has potent anticancer powers, say the researchers.

Linny
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

Blocks development of melanoma. . can it also prevent an already-developed melanoma that has been excised from spreading/recurring?

JC
                                  Participant

Blocks development of melanoma. . can it also prevent an already-developed melanoma that has been excised from spreading/recurring?

JC
                                    Participant

JC
                                    Participant

JC
                                      Participant

So, this study looks to be from 2005. . since then, has anything more become of this, based on this study was more work done or was this tried by the medical community?

JC
                                        Participant

So, this study looks to be from 2005. . since then, has anything more become of this, based on this study was more work done or was this tried by the medical community?

JC
                                          Participant

mcanova
                                              Participant

If you review respected sites (not those trying to sell you something), you will read statements similier to this one from the University of Maryland Medical Center:

"There has been a great deal of research on turmeric's anti-cancer properties, but results are still very early. Evidence from test tube and animal studies suggests that curcumin may help prevent or treat several types of cancers, including prostate, breast, skin, and colon cancer. Its preventive effects may be because it is a strong antioxidant, protecting cells from damage. More research is needed. "

Turmeric is very promising, but more testing is needed.  And who normally funds the tests and trials?  The Pharmaceutical industry!  But what incentive does Pharma have to test and trial an herb that can not be patented?  Turmeric has been used for thousands of years for medical purposes.  They can't make big money off of it.

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
                                                Participant

If you review respected sites (not those trying to sell you something), you will read statements similier to this one from the University of Maryland Medical Center:

"There has been a great deal of research on turmeric's anti-cancer properties, but results are still very early. Evidence from test tube and animal studies suggests that curcumin may help prevent or treat several types of cancers, including prostate, breast, skin, and colon cancer. Its preventive effects may be because it is a strong antioxidant, protecting cells from damage. More research is needed. "

Turmeric is very promising, but more testing is needed.  And who normally funds the tests and trials?  The Pharmaceutical industry!  But what incentive does Pharma have to test and trial an herb that can not be patented?  Turmeric has been used for thousands of years for medical purposes.  They can't make big money off of it.

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
                                                  Participant

Mike from Richmond

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant
                                                    MD Anderson did a study that was favorable to Curcumin and Bioperine (pepper) Most people I have heard of take between 500 and 3000 units a day.
                                                    I started taking the Curcumin (Tumeric Extract 95% curcumin 500 to 1000 units/day) when the IL-2 stopped working for me and at the same time (March 2009)that I started taking Gleevec for my C-kit mucosal melanoma. I have been essential stable now for over 3 years. Cannot say for sure how much is due to what, but intend keep taking both.
                                                    JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant
                                                      MD Anderson did a study that was favorable to Curcumin and Bioperine (pepper) Most people I have heard of take between 500 and 3000 units a day.
                                                      I started taking the Curcumin (Tumeric Extract 95% curcumin 500 to 1000 units/day) when the IL-2 stopped working for me and at the same time (March 2009)that I started taking Gleevec for my C-kit mucosal melanoma. I have been essential stable now for over 3 years. Cannot say for sure how much is due to what, but intend keep taking both.
                                                        Snickers60
                                                        Participant

Jerry, that is AMAZING  !!!   Can you tell me what GLEVEC IS ?    I'm not familiar with it.

Wayne started taking Turmeric the minute he read about it.   But only one cap a day (500 MG).  I just convinced himto take another one with lunch.    Praying it's going to help with some of the joint pain from ZEL.  

I have severe fibromyalgia and a host of other chronic health issues.  DEBILITATING/WHEELCHAIR ( sometimes ) pain with NO LIFE.   I started taking the Turmeric after reading how much it helped pain and inflammation.    I got relief within hours after taking it.   Today I went shopping – ALONE !   

I have been able to do everything in the house I wanted to the last few days, and get dressed and go out.   FOR ME, this has been a MIRACLE in a little yellow cap with immediate relief.

We are paying top dollar to get a good brand of Turmeric,  and get the highest curcumin we can.     I had read about the black pepper and also to take it with MILK –  for some reason it seems to boost the power of it.   Read it in several articles.

I also got Wayne started on a B-50 and the benefits of that for him have been amazing.   More energy – better sleep – better mood – skin, etc. …… he just all around feels so much bettter.    ALL of these treatments eat up B VITAMINS and this is also an essential one to us, along with Fish Oil and Vit. D.

What else do you guys take ?   

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT……….

Snickers60
                                                          Participant

Jerry, that is AMAZING  !!!   Can you tell me what GLEVEC IS ?    I'm not familiar with it.

Wayne started taking Turmeric the minute he read about it.   But only one cap a day (500 MG).  I just convinced himto take another one with lunch.    Praying it's going to help with some of the joint pain from ZEL.  

I have severe fibromyalgia and a host of other chronic health issues.  DEBILITATING/WHEELCHAIR ( sometimes ) pain with NO LIFE.   I started taking the Turmeric after reading how much it helped pain and inflammation.    I got relief within hours after taking it.   Today I went shopping – ALONE !   

I have been able to do everything in the house I wanted to the last few days, and get dressed and go out.   FOR ME, this has been a MIRACLE in a little yellow cap with immediate relief.

We are paying top dollar to get a good brand of Turmeric,  and get the highest curcumin we can.     I had read about the black pepper and also to take it with MILK –  for some reason it seems to boost the power of it.   Read it in several articles.

I also got Wayne started on a B-50 and the benefits of that for him have been amazing.   More energy – better sleep – better mood – skin, etc. …… he just all around feels so much bettter.    ALL of these treatments eat up B VITAMINS and this is also an essential one to us, along with Fish Oil and Vit. D.

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant

Gleevec is a brand name for (imatinib mesylate).

gleevec.com      Official site

Learn about a treatment for adult patients with KIT+ GIST, Ph+ CML, or other rare diseases. 

************************************************

Your medical problemw sound a  lot like my wife's.  She may not leave the house for weeks and then often uses an electric cart in stores.  She has even much more pain and fatigue that I do. She spends about 16 hours a day sleeping and the resst of the day in bed, most days. So I too am a full  time caretaker in additiion to needing to do even more than I ever did  in the past.  Some things are just impossssible!.  She will not take hardly any supplements that I suggest. (Like long term doxycycline for RA -per Dr Gabe Mirkin or any other pills .)

To date, no melanoma tumors have been found to contain both c-kit and BRAF DNA mutations.  They are currently believed to be mutually exclusive. (Not like BRAF and KRAS).  There are at least 4 targeted chemo's that have some effect against some of the c-kit mutations.  Trials are underway to determine which drug has what effect against which c-kit mutation.  I was  lucky enough to have found out about the first published peer reviewed report about c-kit and Gleevec.  I also talked with Dr Wen Jen Hwu at MDA who was also working with the combination.  This was before the IL-2 stopped working, but the delay in progression had let me make it to the point that this report was published.  I presented my findings  to my great Melanoma team and after they checked into they agreed to try me off label on the FDA approved drug (Not approved for melanoma).  It was amazing that these great Melanoma Oncologists listened to me, who didn't know what an Oncologist was, until the month before I met them.

I also learned that Gleevec is delivered into melanoma cells by riding in with oxidants.  I used to take higher levels of anti-oxidants but reduced the amounts of anti-oxidant supplements to hope that more of the Gleevec would get into the tumors.   I still eat foods with a fair amount of anti-oxidants in them.  Most of my Fathers side of the family has died from circulatory problems (Heart attack, stroke, congestive heart problems) So I am concerned about taking things that help this side of the body.  The Neurological ICU Doctors were amazed that my heart kept functioning in 2010 when they were sure the horse had killed me.  I do not know now if my extreme fatigue and anemia is due to problems relating to Melanoma, melanoma treatments, or the extreme head and body damage from the horse accident.

• Gleevec 400 mg (Started March 2009)

• Curcumin 500 mg (Started March 2009)

• Slo-Niacin  500     Triglycerides plus

• Fish Oil 1000 mg (Started 2009)

• Vit D3 2000 IU  (Started March 2011)

• Glucosimen/msm (For joints busted up in 1980)

NOON

• Vit E 400 (Brain and body- took 2000 units daily before Gleevec)

• multi-vitamin  (Kirkland Mature)

• B-12  Recently started – hoping to reduce fatigue)

• Vit C 500 (down from 1000/d pre Gleevec)

SUPPER

• TriCor 145 mg  (Triglycerides)

• Saw palmetto/Pumpkin seed (Prostate)

• CoQ10 300 mg

• Aspirin 325 mg  (Heart/Melanoma/sometimes headache)

Bedtime

• Gleevec 400 mg

• Slo-Niacin 500  (Triglycerides plus)

• Fish Oil 1000 mg

• Tums-2  500  tabs to reduce cough for sleeping – prescribed by ENT doc)

as needed:: Ambein 10 mg Ref

Quinine-leg cramps                 

As Available:  (Hard to get prescribed for long term usage).  Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day  For lungs and melanoma

JerryfromFauq
                                                              Participant

Learn about a treatment for adult patients with KIT+ GIST, Ph+ CML, or other rare diseases. 

Your medical problemw sound a  lot like my wife's.  She may not leave the house for weeks and then often uses an electric cart in stores.  She has even much more pain and fatigue that I do. She spends about 16 hours a day sleeping and the resst of the day in bed, most days. So I too am a full  time caretaker in additiion to needing to do even more than I ever did  in the past.  Some things are just impossssible!.  She will not take hardly any supplements that I suggest. (Like long term doxycycline for RA -per Dr Gabe Mirkin or any other pills .)

To date, no melanoma tumors have been found to contain both c-kit and BRAF DNA mutations.  They are currently believed to be mutually exclusive. (Not like BRAF and KRAS).  There are at least 4 targeted chemo's that have some effect against some of the c-kit mutations.  Trials are underway to determine which drug has what effect against which c-kit mutation.  I was  lucky enough to have found out about the first published peer reviewed report about c-kit and Gleevec.  I also talked with Dr Wen Jen Hwu at MDA who was also working with the combination.  This was before the IL-2 stopped working, but the delay in progression had let me make it to the point that this report was published.  I presented my findings  to my great Melanoma team and after they checked into they agreed to try me off label on the FDA approved drug (Not approved for melanoma).  It was amazing that these great Melanoma Oncologists listened to me, who didn't know what an Oncologist was, until the month before I met them.

I also learned that Gleevec is delivered into melanoma cells by riding in with oxidants.  I used to take higher levels of anti-oxidants but reduced the amounts of anti-oxidant supplements to hope that more of the Gleevec would get into the tumors.   I still eat foods with a fair amount of anti-oxidants in them.  Most of my Fathers side of the family has died from circulatory problems (Heart attack, stroke, congestive heart problems) So I am concerned about taking things that help this side of the body.  The Neurological ICU Doctors were amazed that my heart kept functioning in 2010 when they were sure the horse had killed me.  I do not know now if my extreme fatigue and anemia is due to problems relating to Melanoma, melanoma treatments, or the extreme head and body damage from the horse accident.

NOON

SUPPER

• CoQ10 300 mg

Bedtime

• Gleevec 400 mg

• Fish Oil 1000 mg

Quinine-leg cramps                 

As Available:  (Hard to get prescribed for long term usage).  Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day  For lungs and melanoma

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

NOON

SUPPER

• CoQ10 300 mg

Bedtime

• Gleevec 400 mg

• Fish Oil 1000 mg

Quinine-leg cramps                 

Snickers60
                                                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

Nancy, the next time your husband has a blood test ask your oncologist to have his vitamin D-3 checked.

My guess is he is very deficient. Tumeric in my opinion is only one thing that may help him.

Check out http://www.lef.org if you want to purchase any blood tests using your own money. There is a six month free

membership also available to join them.  Best wishes, Gene

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

Nancy, the next time your husband has a blood test ask your oncologist to have his vitamin D-3 checked.

My guess is he is very deficient. Tumeric in my opinion is only one thing that may help him.

Check out http://www.lef.org if you want to purchase any blood tests using your own money. There is a six month free

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics