The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Trying to figure out ALC??? (Maybe Jimmy B can help :)))))

Forums General Melanoma Community Trying to figure out ALC??? (Maybe Jimmy B can help :)))))

Participant

This is my question I have new labs today and I'm trying to figure out my Mom's  ALC to see if we are having any response yet to the Yervoy reindustion.  I hope they gave me the right information.  She had issues last week with the diarrhea and Dr has her on Prednisone 60mg evey morning.  She is still going every morning 2x. We saw the Dr today. (our dr is away until next week saw someone else in the practise) Plans are to move forward with infusion #3 March 13 and keeping her on the steriod.

This is my question I have new labs today and I'm trying to figure out my Mom's  ALC to see if we are having any response yet to the Yervoy reindustion.  I hope they gave me the right information.  She had issues last week with the diarrhea and Dr has her on Prednisone 60mg evey morning.  She is still going every morning 2x. We saw the Dr today. (our dr is away until next week saw someone else in the practise) Plans are to move forward with infusion #3 March 13 and keeping her on the steriod. I don't know about the taper yet.  Her labs last week  White blood cell count 8.0/ LD 879?

White blood Cell Count   13.6  H                              4.8-10.8 (range)   Last week this number was 8.0

LD(Lactic Dehydrogenase- serum  744  H            313-618  (range)  Last week this number was 896

Is this the formula? Did I get the correct labs? Is her number over 2000?

Absolute Lymphocyte Count = (White Blood Cell Count) x (Lymphocytes %)

Thanks for your input!

Wendy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi Wendy,

I'm in Canada, so I think our numbers look different  For examble, my regular ALC is around 1.90 (1900) and when I went on ipi the last time, they went up to 2.85 (2850). It would be good if her ALC was 2000, but you really need to get someone to know exactly what it is.

I'm hoping the best.

Lisa

Lisa13
          Participant

Hi Wendy,

I'm in Canada, so I think our numbers look different  For examble, my regular ALC is around 1.90 (1900) and when I went on ipi the last time, they went up to 2.85 (2850). It would be good if her ALC was 2000, but you really need to get someone to know exactly what it is.

I'm hoping the best.

Lisa

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Wendy,

I'm hoping the best.

Lisa

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Wendy,

Absolute Lymphocyte Count

Now you are ready for the next three letter acronym, ALC (absolute lymphocyte count). It is nothing more than the name implies, the total number of lymphocytes (B-cells plus T-cells) in the sample of your blood.

Absolute counts are calculated by taking the total white blood cell count and multiplying it by the percent of the specific cell line you are interested in.  That cell line would be lymphocytes.

If the count increases it is an indication that there is immune response in progress.

The percentages are derived from 1) a microscopic examination of blood performed manually in which some hundreds of cells (varies by need) are differentiated from each other (the procedure is called a differential or diff) or 2)a machine scored differentiation based on cell patterns.

Again, reference ranges do vary but granulocytes (polys, segs, neutrophils) are usually 50-70%; lymphocytes 20-40%; monocytes 0-8%; eosinophils 0-2% and basophiles 0-1%. SO, a percentage of 50 % granulocytes in a total white count of 4,000 equals an absolute granulocyte count of 2,000.

You are missing what the percentage of lymphocytes in your mother's blood.

Best regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                Participant

Wendy,

Now you are ready for the next three letter acronym, ALC (absolute lymphocyte count). It is nothing more than the name implies, the total number of lymphocytes (B-cells plus T-cells) in the sample of your blood.

Absolute counts are calculated by taking the total white blood cell count and multiplying it by the percent of the specific cell line you are interested in.  That cell line would be lymphocytes.

If the count increases it is an indication that there is immune response in progress.

The percentages are derived from 1) a microscopic examination of blood performed manually in which some hundreds of cells (varies by need) are differentiated from each other (the procedure is called a differential or diff) or 2)a machine scored differentiation based on cell patterns.

Again, reference ranges do vary but granulocytes (polys, segs, neutrophils) are usually 50-70%; lymphocytes 20-40%; monocytes 0-8%; eosinophils 0-2% and basophiles 0-1%. SO, a percentage of 50 % granulocytes in a total white count of 4,000 equals an absolute granulocyte count of 2,000.

Best regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                  Participant

Wendy,

Best regards

Jimmy B

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics