The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Try this again

Forums General Melanoma Community Try this again

Participant

Made a post and have NO CLUE where it is..  

Ok ok I got an embarrassing question to ask 

I had WLE and SLNB done 5 days ago 

my WLE doesn't hurt at all  my SLNB does., I still have a dressing on it and some kind of derma bond tape of some source. They said it to stay on till I see the Dr. a few weeks 

The SLNB was done on the shoulder armpit area not quite under the armpit. Anyways. It hurts, even on my side of the breast.  I am wondering is it because do they cut deep? Cut into the nerves??   

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Melissa, go to your profile and then to your bulletin board posts and you can see all you previous posts from there.

Glad your WLE doesn't hurt, mine did for a couple of weeks.  Could be you had a nerve nicked during the SLNB but it's only been a few days so nothing really to worry about.  Just hang in there.  If pain gets out of control call the doc.

Mary

washoegal
          Participant

Melissa, go to your profile and then to your bulletin board posts and you can see all you previous posts from there.

Glad your WLE doesn't hurt, mine did for a couple of weeks.  Could be you had a nerve nicked during the SLNB but it's only been a few days so nothing really to worry about.  Just hang in there.  If pain gets out of control call the doc.

Mary

washoegal
            Participant

Mary

mjanssentx
              Participant

Melissa – The SLNB does hurt much more than the WLE for sure.  It goes much deeper beyond the skin to the actual lymph nodes (and I am guessing some small nerves as well).

But that pain is also relatively minor compared to a full dissection which leaves a pretty big diviot (required only if you SLNB shows cancer cells) which I hope you don't have to do.

I couldn't handle the vicoden since it caused constipation.  But my doctor had me take both Ibuprofen and acetaminophen and the combo seemed to work just fine…(didn't want to take more than recommended dosage).

Michel

Millykamp
                  Participant

Yeah the doctor had prescribe pain meds. Sadly they are to strong for me. Ended up getting sick a few times.. The only thing that works is Ty'enol and ice pack.     Waiting on the phone call sucks… 

Thank you you I didn't think they would go that deep.

Millykamp
                    Participant

Yeah the doctor had prescribe pain meds. Sadly they are to strong for me. Ended up getting sick a few times.. The only thing that works is Ty'enol and ice pack.     Waiting on the phone call sucks… 

Millykamp
                      Participant

mjanssentx
                      Participant

Melissa – The SLNB does hurt much more than the WLE for sure.  It goes much deeper beyond the skin to the actual lymph nodes (and I am guessing some small nerves as well).

But that pain is also relatively minor compared to a full dissection which leaves a pretty big diviot (required only if you SLNB shows cancer cells) which I hope you don't have to do.

I couldn't handle the vicoden since it caused constipation.  But my doctor had me take both Ibuprofen and acetaminophen and the combo seemed to work just fine…(didn't want to take more than recommended dosage).

Michel

mjanssentx
                        Participant

Michel

Never Gonna Stop
                          Participant

I think the pain after the SLNB procedure really varies on the depth of your sentinel node. The deeper it is, the more they have to poke and prod and cut to get to it. Mine was apparently pretty superficial, and my WLE bothered me far more than my sentinel node spot. I know someone else who was the exact reverse…WLE didn't bother her at all, and she had a tremendous amount of pain from her SLNB (but she was told one of her three sentinel nodes was pretty deep).

The pain should fade with time though!

Millykamp
                              Participant

Yeah my WLE doesn't hurt at all.. It's all in my SLNB. They said they took out one but he must have went in deep because  it hurts like heck……  I should be getting a call from them any day now..  It's will be a week tomorrow 

Millykamp
                                Participant

Yeah my WLE doesn't hurt at all.. It's all in my SLNB. They said they took out one but he must have went in deep because  it hurts like heck……  I should be getting a call from them any day now..  It's will be a week tomorrow 

Millykamp
                                  Participant

Never Gonna Stop
                                  Participant

I think the pain after the SLNB procedure really varies on the depth of your sentinel node. The deeper it is, the more they have to poke and prod and cut to get to it. Mine was apparently pretty superficial, and my WLE bothered me far more than my sentinel node spot. I know someone else who was the exact reverse…WLE didn't bother her at all, and she had a tremendous amount of pain from her SLNB (but she was told one of her three sentinel nodes was pretty deep).

Never Gonna Stop
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics