The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TrueBeam

Forums General Melanoma Community TrueBeam

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

Hi All,

At our oncologist appointment March 20 we were told that my husband would need Gamma Knife treatment.  (His tumor was resected Feb 28th.)   We met with the radiation oncologist on Monday this week and found out that he would not be able to have the Gamma Knife.   The reason is that the "cavity" where his tumor was is 2" which is too big for Gamma.   They now recommend (5) TrueBeam treatments.  He is scheduled for simulation on Monday and to begin treatments on Wednesday.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with TrueBeam?  How were the side effects? Was there anything about it you wish you had known ahead of time?  Any info is appreciated.

The good news is that the brain MRI that he had Monday showed no new tumors and no regrowth in the area of the original tumor.  

The MRI did reveal blood pooled in an area on his brain.  It is a concern that if the blood is leftover from the surgery and came from around the tumor that it could be sitting in a new place containing bad cells just waiting to grow.   Any thoughts on this?   I will also say that my husband fell from the bed in ICU less than 48 hours after surgery and hit his head on the side where the surgery was.  He was rushed to a CT scan and no issues were found but I still wonder if this could be what caused the blood.   We forgot to mention this to the radiation oncologist but we will be seeing him again Monday and will discuss it further then.  We are worried about that blood!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics