The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Triall on patients with melanoma spread to their brain.

Forums General Melanoma Community Triall on patients with melanoma spread to their brain.

• Replies
      LuckyMan51
      Participant

Thanks Jerry, Well timed post for me! Just shot my Onc a note asking about a fit for my plan B. Much appreciated.   

LuckyMan51
        Participant

Thanks Jerry, Well timed post for me! Just shot my Onc a note asking about a fit for my plan B. Much appreciated.   

tschmith
            Participant

Good to hear from you, Jerry!  Hope all is well.

Terrie

mary1233
              Participant

Metastisis to the brain is my biggest fear. Thank you for finding this. Does anyone know if this trial is being duplicated in the US?

Best wishes to all.

Mary

mary1233
                Participant

Metastisis to the brain is my biggest fear. Thank you for finding this. Does anyone know if this trial is being duplicated in the US?

Best wishes to all.

Mary

mary1233
                  Participant

Best wishes to all.

Mary

tschmith
                    Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                      Participant

Terrie

LuckyMan51
                      Participant

rick1981
                        Participant

Great news, they used to exclude patients with brain mets from PD1 trials. It seems there are 3 legs: Opdivo/nivolumab, Opdivo/nivolumab + Yervoy/ipilimumab and radiation (not clear if it's with Opdivo).

My wife's not in a trial but she progressed on the BRAF/MEK combo and developed 12 brain mets, either in the "free fall" period before moving onto PD1 or whilst already on PD1. Anyway, she was allowed to continue and is now having Keytruda/pembrolizumab (4th infusion yesterday), had 5 days of whole brain radiation and today had radiation of her hips (bone mets).

Will keep everyone posted – even though she's not on a trial,

Rick 

rick1981
                          Participant

Great news, they used to exclude patients with brain mets from PD1 trials. It seems there are 3 legs: Opdivo/nivolumab, Opdivo/nivolumab + Yervoy/ipilimumab and radiation (not clear if it's with Opdivo).

My wife's not in a trial but she progressed on the BRAF/MEK combo and developed 12 brain mets, either in the "free fall" period before moving onto PD1 or whilst already on PD1. Anyway, she was allowed to continue and is now having Keytruda/pembrolizumab (4th infusion yesterday), had 5 days of whole brain radiation and today had radiation of her hips (bone mets).

Rick 

eturner82
                              Participant

Hi Rick

Please due keep us posted on your wife, my hubby has bone mets and lung mets and I am very interested in how the PD1 is helping with the bone mets…. my hubby will receive 2nd dose of PD1 tomorrow.

Thanks

Emily

eturner82
                                Participant

Hi Rick

Please due keep us posted on your wife, my hubby has bone mets and lung mets and I am very interested in how the PD1 is helping with the bone mets…. my hubby will receive 2nd dose of PD1 tomorrow.

Thanks

Emily

eturner82
                                  Participant

Hi Rick

Thanks

Emily

rick1981
                                    Participant

Will do – you can also search posts to see our history. Good luck with the 2nd treatment! Rick

rick1981
                                      Participant

Will do – you can also search posts to see our history. Good luck with the 2nd treatment! Rick

rick1981
                                        Participant

rick1981
                                        Participant

Rick 

ed williams
                                          Participant

Thanks for the post Jerry!!!! I have been following " Jennifer's Journey " on facebook, she is one of the luck ones to get into the trial in Australia and has just finished her 4th dose of Nivolumab. She is friends with one of the great leaders in Melamona awareness in Australia (Jay Allen). He has been one of the main fighters to get sun tanning beds banned in Australia. I wish every one the best, in their Melanoma journey's. Ed

ed williams
                                            Participant

Thanks for the post Jerry!!!! I have been following " Jennifer's Journey " on facebook, she is one of the luck ones to get into the trial in Australia and has just finished her 4th dose of Nivolumab. She is friends with one of the great leaders in Melamona awareness in Australia (Jay Allen). He has been one of the main fighters to get sun tanning beds banned in Australia. I wish every one the best, in their Melanoma journey's. Ed

ed williams
                                              Participant

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Yay!  YAY!  YAY!  And a few….It's about time!!!! (s)!!!!  Here's some data I've been YELLING to back up the approach if one is interested!!  Thanks for sharing, Jerry!

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/02/ipi-nivo-combo-and-radiation-for.html

Celeste

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

Yay!  YAY!  YAY!  And a few….It's about time!!!! (s)!!!!  Here's some data I've been YELLING to back up the approach if one is interested!!  Thanks for sharing, Jerry!

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/02/ipi-nivo-combo-and-radiation-for.html

Celeste

csellers23
                                                      Participant
                                                        Is this keytruda?
                                                        csellers23
                                                        Participant
                                                          Is this keytruda?
                                                          BrianP
                                                          Participant

Crystal,

If I understand your question you are wondering in the first post by Jerry if the drug referred to as nivolumab is Keytruda.  If that's your question the answer is no.

Kinda confusing but most drugs start out with what I like to call their chemical name and then later they get a commercial name.  There are two big players on the anti-PD1 scene right now.  One is BMS's drug which is nivolumab and is now being marketed as Opdivo.  The second is Merck's pembrolizumab which is now being marketed as Keytruda.  Both drugs are anti-PD1 inhibitors and both drugs have had very similar results on patients with maybe a slight edge to Keytruda but it's probably to early to say for sure.  Hope this answers your question.

Brian

BrianP
                                                            Participant

Crystal,

If I understand your question you are wondering in the first post by Jerry if the drug referred to as nivolumab is Keytruda.  If that's your question the answer is no.

Kinda confusing but most drugs start out with what I like to call their chemical name and then later they get a commercial name.  There are two big players on the anti-PD1 scene right now.  One is BMS's drug which is nivolumab and is now being marketed as Opdivo.  The second is Merck's pembrolizumab which is now being marketed as Keytruda.  Both drugs are anti-PD1 inhibitors and both drugs have had very similar results on patients with maybe a slight edge to Keytruda but it's probably to early to say for sure.  Hope this answers your question.

Brian

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Crystal,

Brian

csellers23
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Is this keytruda?
                                                                Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Celeste

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics