The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatments

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatments

Participant

After 8 mos of being NED just had scan come back with multiple lesions on liver and lymph nodes in area also affected.  Was originally diagnosed in Aug 2011, did a year of interferon after left side ALND. In May 2014 it showed up in right side axillary node, so had complete ALND on that side as well.  Am pending MRI of brain to rule that out and PET scan next week to determine total presence.  Consulted with my own doc, a doc at KU med and Mayo and all 3 say combo therapy BRAF inhibitor and MEK inhibitor.  Was not given good prognosis if this doesn't work.  PLEASE, would like any input, suggestions possible from similar cases.  I have 3 kids and a wife at home.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        democat
        Participant

Have your doctors advaised against Ipi and Anti-PD1?

democat
          Participant

democat
            Participant

Tim–MRF

As the previous reply suggests, several different treatment options exist. The two primary approaches are targeted therapy and immunotherapy.

Targeted therapy goes into the tumor cells and shuts down the mutation that is driving tumor growth. About 40% of melanoma tumors have a mutated BRAF, and the BRAF drug targets that mutation. BRAF is a step in a metabolic pathway, and MEK is the next step down that path. Researchers have found that by inhibiting both BRAF and MEK at the same time they get stronger response, longer response, and fewer side effects. 

Immunotherapy is designed to re-engage your immune system in the fight against melanoma. This can happen in a variety of ways. The drugs mentioned earlier, "ipi" and "anti-PD1" both impact a class of cells, called T cells, that are part of the immune system. These cells have several braking mechanisms, called checkpoints, that keep them from running amok and attacking the body. Tumors have the ability to activate these checkpoints and effectively hide from the T cells. The drug ipilimumab, or Yervoy, blocks a specific checkpoint called CTLA4. It was approved in 2011 and was the first new drug approved for metastatic melanoma in 13 years. Two different drugs, just approved in 2014, block a differnt checkpoint called PD1. They work better than ipi, but currently are only approved for use after ipi has been tried first and, if applicable, after the BRAF inhibitor has been tried.

No-one knows if it is better to start with targeted therapy and move to immunotherapy, or to go in the reverse order. Starting with BRAF makes some sense if the ultimate goal is to get to using an anti-PD1 drug.

All of this is to say that you have a lot of treatment options, and should not feel that you only have one shot at this.  Fighting metastatic melanoma is a war, not a battle. A good melanoma team will always have a plan A and plan B and plan C.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

democat
                  Participant

Tim

Thank you for one of the best plain-language summaries I have seen..

Roxanne

democat
                    Participant

Tim

Roxanne

democat
                      Participant

Tim

Roxanne

Tim–MRF

As the previous reply suggests, several different treatment options exist. The two primary approaches are targeted therapy and immunotherapy.

Targeted therapy goes into the tumor cells and shuts down the mutation that is driving tumor growth. About 40% of melanoma tumors have a mutated BRAF, and the BRAF drug targets that mutation. BRAF is a step in a metabolic pathway, and MEK is the next step down that path. Researchers have found that by inhibiting both BRAF and MEK at the same time they get stronger response, longer response, and fewer side effects. 

Immunotherapy is designed to re-engage your immune system in the fight against melanoma. This can happen in a variety of ways. The drugs mentioned earlier, "ipi" and "anti-PD1" both impact a class of cells, called T cells, that are part of the immune system. These cells have several braking mechanisms, called checkpoints, that keep them from running amok and attacking the body. Tumors have the ability to activate these checkpoints and effectively hide from the T cells. The drug ipilimumab, or Yervoy, blocks a specific checkpoint called CTLA4. It was approved in 2011 and was the first new drug approved for metastatic melanoma in 13 years. Two different drugs, just approved in 2014, block a differnt checkpoint called PD1. They work better than ipi, but currently are only approved for use after ipi has been tried first and, if applicable, after the BRAF inhibitor has been tried.

No-one knows if it is better to start with targeted therapy and move to immunotherapy, or to go in the reverse order. Starting with BRAF makes some sense if the ultimate goal is to get to using an anti-PD1 drug.

All of this is to say that you have a lot of treatment options, and should not feel that you only have one shot at this.  Fighting metastatic melanoma is a war, not a battle. A good melanoma team will always have a plan A and plan B and plan C.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

The braf mek combo is a good fda approved option. It was approved as a combo almost exactly a year ago. I was on it after 8 weeks and didn't work for me but I'm still here like Tim said fighting the war. When it works which is about 70% of the time I hear it is great.

In my opinion the combination of pd1 at the higher dose combined with ipi at the lower dose should prove to be a good immunotherapy combination and hopefully with less side affects. I believe it is still in trial at moffitt in Tampa. One thing to keep in mind is doing some treatments excludes you from others so if I were you I would go for that fourth opinion at moffitt. I got my second opinion at Mayo also for zelboraf cause the combo wasn't approved at the time which didn't work for me either. Now I'm on keytruda pd1 which has done great but some things are still growing. But the pd1 stuff on its own can be great too and is now fda approved. I remember Eva had it on her liver and other places and she did the braf combo and ipi and she got in the keytruda pd1 extended access trial shortly after me but for her after just four doses all her stuff shrank by at least 50% and more.

So basically you just gotta go with what your gut tells you. Fight it like a war not just a battle. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

The braf mek combo is a good fda approved option. It was approved as a combo almost exactly a year ago. I was on it after 8 weeks and didn't work for me but I'm still here like Tim said fighting the war. When it works which is about 70% of the time I hear it is great.

In my opinion the combination of pd1 at the higher dose combined with ipi at the lower dose should prove to be a good immunotherapy combination and hopefully with less side affects. I believe it is still in trial at moffitt in Tampa. One thing to keep in mind is doing some treatments excludes you from others so if I were you I would go for that fourth opinion at moffitt. I got my second opinion at Mayo also for zelboraf cause the combo wasn't approved at the time which didn't work for me either. Now I'm on keytruda pd1 which has done great but some things are still growing. But the pd1 stuff on its own can be great too and is now fda approved. I remember Eva had it on her liver and other places and she did the braf combo and ipi and she got in the keytruda pd1 extended access trial shortly after me but for her after just four doses all her stuff shrank by at least 50% and more.

So basically you just gotta go with what your gut tells you. Fight it like a war not just a battle. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

milerstar1
                                Participant

Thank you all for your help and quick response.  It is greatly appreciated.  I always need the reminder that this is a war and not a battle, just trying to wrap my head around all of it currently.  It looks as if my doctors are wanting to go the BRAF/MEK inhibitor combo, awaiting pharmacy contact.  I have also reached out to CTCA and MD Anderson to get 5th and 6th opinions on things which I hear never hurts.  I really appreciate the explanation of the treatments as it really helped to put it in plain english.  Will keep ya'll informed on my progress and would love to hear of your continued success as well.  Thank you again!!

milerstar1
                                  Participant

Thank you all for your help and quick response.  It is greatly appreciated.  I always need the reminder that this is a war and not a battle, just trying to wrap my head around all of it currently.  It looks as if my doctors are wanting to go the BRAF/MEK inhibitor combo, awaiting pharmacy contact.  I have also reached out to CTCA and MD Anderson to get 5th and 6th opinions on things which I hear never hurts.  I really appreciate the explanation of the treatments as it really helped to put it in plain english.  Will keep ya'll informed on my progress and would love to hear of your continued success as well.  Thank you again!!

milerstar1
                                    Participant

milerstar1
                                      Participant

milerstar1
                                        Participant

milerstar1
                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics