The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment plan in place!

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment plan in place!

Participant

I had a sleepless night last night as I mentally prepared for my appointment with oncology this morning to discuss systemic treatment options since I had decided not to proceed with the Whole Brain Radiation Therapy. I was very pleasantly surprised to be seen by the head oncologist, Dr. Rajappa. He was so awesome and had all of the qualities I hoped a great oncologist would have, i.e., thoughtful, smart, engaging, optimistic, calm,…everything!  We decided that I would have a new baseline body and brain MRI/PET scan in the first week of September.

I had a sleepless night last night as I mentally prepared for my appointment with oncology this morning to discuss systemic treatment options since I had decided not to proceed with the Whole Brain Radiation Therapy. I was very pleasantly surprised to be seen by the head oncologist, Dr. Rajappa. He was so awesome and had all of the qualities I hoped a great oncologist would have, i.e., thoughtful, smart, engaging, optimistic, calm,…everything!  We decided that I would have a new baseline body and brain MRI/PET scan in the first week of September. I would then start either the new B-RAF drug (if I was positive for the B-RAF mutation and if it is approved by then, which it should be), or Yervoy if I was negative for B-RAF mutation, somewhere around the middle to end of September.

Dr. Rajappa made me feel so confident and hopeful with this plan, regardless of which one was followed. He was going to call pathology at David Grant Hospital to find out if the B-RAF results were in yet, and then he said I would be called immediately when he found out. I was on the light rail on the way home when the call came in…I am positive for the B-RAF mutation!! The people on the light rail must have thought I was crazy…I was crying and doing the Happy Dance at the same time!! I am so grateful and saddened at the same time for the people whose names I recognize now, and who found out that they were negative.

The good news now is that U of Penn researchers just discovered a way to make our good T-cells attack cancer cells and then multiply instead of dying off. This was tried with a few leukemia patients with outstanding results. Now the trials will be expanded to larger samples and different types of cancers.

The bottom line is…the cure for cancer is seriously right around the corner!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Excellent news…congratulations!  I am so optimistic with the research that is going on now.  I hope you're right and the cure is right around the corner!  Good luck with the treatments…I'll be saying some prayers for you!

Tricia

mombase
            Participant

Thank you, Tricia!

mombase
              Participant

Thank you, Tricia!

triciad
              Participant

Excellent news…congratulations!  I am so optimistic with the research that is going on now.  I hope you're right and the cure is right around the corner!  Good luck with the treatments…I'll be saying some prayers for you!

Tricia

NicOz
                Participant

It always seems to me, that I feel like I have a bit of control again, when a treatment plan is in place. Great news, Cristy! BRAF-i's can work wonders on the brain. (I had somewhere in the 50+ range, and it was extremely effective in hammering those little suckers! :D)

Go kick mel in the goolies!! Hard.

Nic

mombase
                    Participant

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I had to go to the Urban DIctionary to find out what "goolies" were, and now that I know, I am all over it!!

Thanks~ Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                      Participant

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I had to go to the Urban DIctionary to find out what "goolies" were, and now that I know, I am all over it!!

Thanks~ Cristy, Stage IV

NicOz
                      Participant

It always seems to me, that I feel like I have a bit of control again, when a treatment plan is in place. Great news, Cristy! BRAF-i's can work wonders on the brain. (I had somewhere in the 50+ range, and it was extremely effective in hammering those little suckers! :D)

Go kick mel in the goolies!! Hard.

Nic

MariaH
                        Participant

I am so happy for you about the B-RAF testing!  There is always hope!  Unfortunately, my husband tested B-RAF negative and HLA negative – which washes him out of some of the most promising trials.  That being said, the news out of U of Penn is promising – and should my husband not respond to IL-2, we are hoping that something for mel will come along the pipeline soon.

Best wishes, and hoping you are a responder!

Maria

mombase
                            Participant

Maria, thank you so much. The news is so double edged as I am so sorry for those who do not test positive. I am so sorry that your husband is negative, but I truly believe there will be a cure very soon. May he be an IL-2 responder with minimal side effects!

Sincerely,

Cristy, Stage IV

Lisa13
                              Participant

My Dr. said that researchers goal now is to find treatment for the people who arn't BRAF positive.  It's disappointing that we don't have that option, but we have other options like IL-2 and ipi. Besides, if we respond, both of these drugs have the most success in long term remission.  Other than that, there are many drugs in clinical trials that are showing success – yay!  

What also gives me hope is that many Stage 4 people on this board have been here for 3,5 and 10 years – without some of these drugs and some without treatment. We never give up!

Lisa – Stage 4 – lung mets

mombase
                                Participant

I agree with you, Lisa.  IL-2 brings the hope of good responses and great durability.  AND a long track record of successes.

mombase
                                  Participant

I agree with you, Lisa.  IL-2 brings the hope of good responses and great durability.  AND a long track record of successes.

MariaH
                                    Participant

I agree Lisa – there are many on here at stage IV, NED – all we have to do is find the treatment that works!

MariaH
                                      Participant

I agree Lisa – there are many on here at stage IV, NED – all we have to do is find the treatment that works!

Lisa13
                                        Participant

My Dr. said that researchers goal now is to find treatment for the people who arn't BRAF positive.  It's disappointing that we don't have that option, but we have other options like IL-2 and ipi. Besides, if we respond, both of these drugs have the most success in long term remission.  Other than that, there are many drugs in clinical trials that are showing success – yay!  

What also gives me hope is that many Stage 4 people on this board have been here for 3,5 and 10 years – without some of these drugs and some without treatment. We never give up!

Lisa – Stage 4 – lung mets

mombase
                                          Participant

Maria, thank you so much. The news is so double edged as I am so sorry for those who do not test positive. I am so sorry that your husband is negative, but I truly believe there will be a cure very soon. May he be an IL-2 responder with minimal side effects!

Sincerely,

Cristy, Stage IV

MariaH
                                          Participant

I am so happy for you about the B-RAF testing!  There is always hope!  Unfortunately, my husband tested B-RAF negative and HLA negative – which washes him out of some of the most promising trials.  That being said, the news out of U of Penn is promising – and should my husband not respond to IL-2, we are hoping that something for mel will come along the pipeline soon.

Best wishes, and hoping you are a responder!

Maria

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics