The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment options – Looking for advice on making a decision

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment options – Looking for advice on making a decision

• Replies
      Bradley75
      Participant

In my opinion, approach 1 is the best choice and it isn't even close.  I was faced with that decision two months ago.  I opted for the combo treatment after my research. The side effects got me and I was/am forced to stop treatment with those drugs.  Even though the side effects happened I would choose the combo again if I could.  Melanoma is a slippery and relentless beast.  I would hit it with the best option every time. 

Also, based on your two options, it appears that a placebo is possible for you in the clinical trial.  That is a deal breaker for me.  I would hate to have progression with the mel because I was one of the unlucky ones to get a placebo.  I couldn't live with that.  Maybe it is just me or it is because I have progressed over the past couple years.

Best of luck with your decision,

Brad

Bradley75
        Participant

In my opinion, approach 1 is the best choice and it isn't even close.  I was faced with that decision two months ago.  I opted for the combo treatment after my research. The side effects got me and I was/am forced to stop treatment with those drugs.  Even though the side effects happened I would choose the combo again if I could.  Melanoma is a slippery and relentless beast.  I would hit it with the best option every time. 

Also, based on your two options, it appears that a placebo is possible for you in the clinical trial.  That is a deal breaker for me.  I would hate to have progression with the mel because I was one of the unlucky ones to get a placebo.  I couldn't live with that.  Maybe it is just me or it is because I have progressed over the past couple years.

Brad

MikeW
            Participant

Thanks for your perspective…I appreciate it. 

MikeW
              Participant

MikeW
                Participant

Bradley75
                Participant

Brad

Bubbles
                  Participant

Sorry you are having to evaluate these choices.  But…here are some articles that may help inform your decision:

Survival outcome of ipi/nivo trial:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/10/2-year-survival-outcomes-for-ipinivo.html

A nice breakdown of info on Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) outcomes out of ASCO last year by Dr Daud:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/dr-daud-reviews-asco-2016-immunology.html

I'll post one other nice general review below…..

Bubbles
                    Participant

Sorry you are having to evaluate these choices.  But…here are some articles that may help inform your decision:

Survival outcome of ipi/nivo trial:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/10/2-year-survival-outcomes-for-ipinivo.html

A nice breakdown of info on Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) outcomes out of ASCO last year by Dr Daud:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/dr-daud-reviews-asco-2016-immunology.html

Bubbles
                      Participant

BrianP
                        Participant

Another vote for the combo.  I think the 57% response rate you list for the combo is low.  If you are really doing risk vs. reward analysis I'd do a little more research into those figures to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

BrianP
                          Participant

Another vote for the combo.  I think the 57% response rate you list for the combo is low.  If you are really doing risk vs. reward analysis I'd do a little more research into those figures to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

MikeW
                              Participant

Good point. I think I need to check the dates on the reports/outcomes. It seems like results are getting better. 

MikeW
                                Participant

Good point. I think I need to check the dates on the reports/outcomes. It seems like results are getting better. 

MikeW
                                  Participant

BrianP
                                  Participant

ed williams
                                    Participant

Hi M Wokosin, just to add a little bit to the conversation, read articles, watch videos on Melanoma, and ask question to as many doctors that you can before making a decision. Spend some time on Bubbles blog, full of great stuff and links to the most current data plus if you are into making dresses!!!! youtube has most of the current leaders in the field when they get together and do educational presentations. Onclive is always pretty good. Here is two videos to get you started from one of the leaders in the Melanoma world. The presentations are about one year apart and the contrast and advancements in treatment options between 2015 and 2016 is crazzy. The field of Immunoncology is exploding with new trials and combinations. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15oPSvuK4o  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQJQhQE3dQ

ed williams
                                      Participant

Hi M Wokosin, just to add a little bit to the conversation, read articles, watch videos on Melanoma, and ask question to as many doctors that you can before making a decision. Spend some time on Bubbles blog, full of great stuff and links to the most current data plus if you are into making dresses!!!! youtube has most of the current leaders in the field when they get together and do educational presentations. Onclive is always pretty good. Here is two videos to get you started from one of the leaders in the Melanoma world. The presentations are about one year apart and the contrast and advancements in treatment options between 2015 and 2016 is crazzy. The field of Immunoncology is exploding with new trials and combinations. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15oPSvuK4o  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQJQhQE3dQ

ed williams
                                        Participant

ed williams
                                          Participant

I wanted this video to be the first one in the above post!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nUgi5R9UE

ed williams
                                            Participant

I wanted this video to be the first one in the above post!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nUgi5R9UE

ed williams
                                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

I'll chime in and say I'm another on board with Ipi/Nivo combo. Longer post about why I chose it myself in the post below titled Mono vs Combo.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                                  Participant

I'll chime in and say I'm another on board with Ipi/Nivo combo. Longer post about why I chose it myself in the post below titled Mono vs Combo.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                                    Participant

All the best,

Mamapegela
                                                      Participant

Hi-

We have similar situations.  I  have mets only to my lungs at this point.  I progressed to stage 4 in Nov. '16.    I started the ipi/nivo combo in December.  I only got through one dose before my onc nixed further doses due to toxicities (fried my thyroid and liver enzymes elevated).  I am now on just Nivo if I continue to tolerate it.  The good news is- I already have had more than 50% reduction in the size of my two remaining lung mets!  That was from only one dose of the combo becuase my last CT scan was before the first nivo dose.  

So I obviously am giving my endorsement to the ipi/nivo. I will miss my thyroid but I won't miss Mel!!   

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                        Participant

Hi-

We have similar situations.  I  have mets only to my lungs at this point.  I progressed to stage 4 in Nov. '16.    I started the ipi/nivo combo in December.  I only got through one dose before my onc nixed further doses due to toxicities (fried my thyroid and liver enzymes elevated).  I am now on just Nivo if I continue to tolerate it.  The good news is- I already have had more than 50% reduction in the size of my two remaining lung mets!  That was from only one dose of the combo becuase my last CT scan was before the first nivo dose.  

So I obviously am giving my endorsement to the ipi/nivo. I will miss my thyroid but I won't miss Mel!!   

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                          Participant

Hi-

Peggy

MikeW
                                                              Participant

Thanks for your feedback. I had read and one of the dr's said there can be results after just one treatment. I'll keep you posted..

MikeW
                                                                Participant

Thanks for your feedback. I had read and one of the dr's said there can be results after just one treatment. I'll keep you posted..

MikeW
                                                                  Participant

Hukill
                                                                  Participant

The combo was my choice without thought, I even asked for it when I first met my dr before he gave me any options. After 5 combos and 6 nivo alone I can say I made the right choice for me.

MikeW
                                                                      Participant

Thanks for the note hukill..

MikeW
                                                                        Participant

MikeW
                                                                          Participant

Hukill
                                                                          Participant

The combo was my choice without thought, I even asked for it when I first met my dr before he gave me any options. After 5 combos and 6 nivo alone I can say I made the right choice for me.

Hukill
                                                                            Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics