The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment of brain mets wit h PD-1

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment of brain mets wit h PD-1

Participant

Can anyone provide any information on treatments of brain mets with PD-1?  I am aware that Yale University is just starting a study with patients who have brain mets ,  but my question is has anyone seen any prior evidence or prior experience that PD-1 does address brain mets? Any information will help. Thanks, Daniel

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

I believe you'll find here and elsewhere people who have had responses to anti-PD-1 for brain mets, although it's somewhat limited because of the stricter controls around brain mets and many of the clinical trials — hence the new studies that are relaxing some of those eligibility criteria to further study this.  Additionally, there is similar evidence with the other immunotherapies, including ipilimumab, IL-2, and TIL.  I was in a TIL trial in 2010-11 and the inclusion criteria then disallowed any brain mets, but newer trials have relaxed that somewhat, allowing total tumor size under a certain limit and stable for some period of time.  Theoretically, it makes sense that the immunotherapies would cause a response in brain mets.  While the blood-brain barrier can prevent some medications from reaching the brain, again in theory the immunotherapies wouldn't have this limitation — the medications don't have to reach the brain directly, only cause an immune response into the brain, where the immune system is active.  That's no guarantee, but the general thinking is that there is a good possibility that this class of treatments can work for brain metastases…  and of course, further studies, like this one at Yale (Dr. Sznol, I believe) will hopefully shed more light on this.

Joe

RJoeyB
          Participant

I believe you'll find here and elsewhere people who have had responses to anti-PD-1 for brain mets, although it's somewhat limited because of the stricter controls around brain mets and many of the clinical trials — hence the new studies that are relaxing some of those eligibility criteria to further study this.  Additionally, there is similar evidence with the other immunotherapies, including ipilimumab, IL-2, and TIL.  I was in a TIL trial in 2010-11 and the inclusion criteria then disallowed any brain mets, but newer trials have relaxed that somewhat, allowing total tumor size under a certain limit and stable for some period of time.  Theoretically, it makes sense that the immunotherapies would cause a response in brain mets.  While the blood-brain barrier can prevent some medications from reaching the brain, again in theory the immunotherapies wouldn't have this limitation — the medications don't have to reach the brain directly, only cause an immune response into the brain, where the immune system is active.  That's no guarantee, but the general thinking is that there is a good possibility that this class of treatments can work for brain metastases…  and of course, further studies, like this one at Yale (Dr. Sznol, I believe) will hopefully shed more light on this.

Joe

RJoeyB
            Participant

Joe

NYKaren
                Participant

I just emailed Dr. Sznol on this matter, I'll share his response. I'm on NYU's list, starting Sloan's info-gathering procedure, and now this. In a brief email because he was away last week, Dr. Sznol said I should be on PD1 right away. That's what I'm trying for!  It's my understanding that the problem getting started is now with the hospitals.  

How many will die before getting PD1?

Karen

NYKaren
                  Participant

I just emailed Dr. Sznol on this matter, I'll share his response. I'm on NYU's list, starting Sloan's info-gathering procedure, and now this. In a brief email because he was away last week, Dr. Sznol said I should be on PD1 right away. That's what I'm trying for!  It's my understanding that the problem getting started is now with the hospitals.  

Karen

NYKaren
                    Participant

Karen

NYKaren
                      Participant

Hi Daniel,

Dr. Sznol is starting that trial, but he feels that since I was so recently treated, I should go for the expanded access. 

All the best,

karen

NYKaren
                        Participant

Hi Daniel,

Dr. Sznol is starting that trial, but he feels that since I was so recently treated, I should go for the expanded access. 

All the best,

karen

ncdaniel
                          Participant

Karen, thanksgiving for your response, your contributions here are great. You responded to me just over a year ago when my wife was having a terrible response to yervoy. You suggested Remmicade and were right on what resulted in getting her under control.  She now has brain mets and has had WBRt in the past so her only option is gamma knife or cyber life treatment. I was hoping she could make it to PD-1.  As others have said how many must die before PD-1 is available for all.

thanks, Karen

ncdaniel
                            Participant

Karen, thanksgiving for your response, your contributions here are great. You responded to me just over a year ago when my wife was having a terrible response to yervoy. You suggested Remmicade and were right on what resulted in getting her under control.  She now has brain mets and has had WBRt in the past so her only option is gamma knife or cyber life treatment. I was hoping she could make it to PD-1.  As others have said how many must die before PD-1 is available for all.

thanks, Karen

ncdaniel
                              Participant

thanks, Karen

lbkimball
                                Participant

I am starting PD-1 treatment through the expanded access program at UCSF tomorrow. I have many brain mets (30+) and Tafinlar has been keeping them stable. I'm hoping to see PD1 eviscerate them! 

From what they told me at UCSF, approximately 4,300 people across the US will have access, which breaks down to about 40 patients per clinic (or something like that.)

lbkimball
                                  Participant

I am starting PD-1 treatment through the expanded access program at UCSF tomorrow. I have many brain mets (30+) and Tafinlar has been keeping them stable. I'm hoping to see PD1 eviscerate them! 

From what they told me at UCSF, approximately 4,300 people across the US will have access, which breaks down to about 40 patients per clinic (or something like that.)

lbkimball
                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Hi Daniel,

All the best,

karen

killmel
                                        Participant

Karen,

By any chance, did you ask DR. Sznol, if any of his PD1 patients that have brain mets were "resolved" when on PD1.

I sure would like to know too if pd1 with the immune system can "kill" brain mets.

Thanks,

Marybeth

Cooper
                                          Participant

There was one patient who had this happen.  Radiation is the best way for now.

Cooper
                                            Participant

Cooper
                                              Participant

killmel
                                                Participant

Karen,

By any chance, did you ask DR. Sznol, if any of his PD1 patients that have brain mets were "resolved" when on PD1.

I sure would like to know too if pd1 with the immune system can "kill" brain mets.

Thanks,

Marybeth

killmel
                                                  Participant

Karen,

Thanks,

Marybeth

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

Sorry for the stuggles all of you are facing. This is a conundrum proposed so often that I dedicated a blog post to it.  While there are no definitive answers because patients with brain mets have long been denied access to anti-PD1 trials as well as the expanded access program…here and there (Moffitt did allow one arm for patients with brain mets in their nivo trial) data is seeping in.  The point to remember is:  Anti-PD1 doesn't kill melanoma cells…the T-cells it releases does….in the brain or anywhere else.  Here is a post with documentation to support those facts:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/anti-pd1-in-melanoma-t-cells-brain-and.html

Additionally, here is something Sznol said a while ago:

From presentation and interview given by Sznol at ASCO:
                                                    Published:  Wednesday, June 05, 2013
                                                    Melanoma: Long Overall Survival in Patients Receiving Nivolumab
                                                    BY RABIYA S. TUMA, PHD
                                                    …Asked about the likelihood that the drug works on brain metastases. Sznol noted that this trial excluded patients with active brain lesions, but accepted patients with previously-treated central nervous system tumors. Therefore the answer to the question remains unknown. "But we have long-term responders who didn't develop any brain metastases, so that suggests that maybe we are controlling disease in the brain," he said.

Hope that helps.  Yours, Celeste'

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

Sorry for the stuggles all of you are facing. This is a conundrum proposed so often that I dedicated a blog post to it.  While there are no definitive answers because patients with brain mets have long been denied access to anti-PD1 trials as well as the expanded access program…here and there (Moffitt did allow one arm for patients with brain mets in their nivo trial) data is seeping in.  The point to remember is:  Anti-PD1 doesn't kill melanoma cells…the T-cells it releases does….in the brain or anywhere else.  Here is a post with documentation to support those facts:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/anti-pd1-in-melanoma-t-cells-brain-and.html

BY RABIYA S. TUMA, PHD
                                                      …Asked about the likelihood that the drug works on brain metastases. Sznol noted that this trial excluded patients with active brain lesions, but accepted patients with previously-treated central nervous system tumors. Therefore the answer to the question remains unknown. "But we have long-term responders who didn't develop any brain metastases, so that suggests that maybe we are controlling disease in the brain," he said.

ncdaniel
                                                        Participant

Very interesting  information  hope soon PD-1 iss option for all including those with brain mets.

ncdaniel
                                                          Participant

Very interesting  information  hope soon PD-1 iss option for all including those with brain mets.

ncdaniel
                                                            Participant

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

BY RABIYA S. TUMA, PHD

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics