The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Travel to Moffitt, Ipi and PD1 trials

Forums General Melanoma Community Travel to Moffitt, Ipi and PD1 trials

Participant

We are going to Moffitt next week for a consult with Dr. Weber.  Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips we should know about.  We are planning to fly to Tampa and back to Atlanta in a day so I am guessing renting a car would be our best option for transportation? 

We are going to Moffitt next week for a consult with Dr. Weber.  Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips we should know about.  We are planning to fly to Tampa and back to Atlanta in a day so I am guessing renting a car would be our best option for transportation? 

As far as the melanoma goes – my husband has been on a Zelboraf/Yervoy trial.  He has finished his 3rd infusion at 10mg/kg.  Fatigue has been his main side effect, however in the past two weeks he has had a LOT of hip & lower back pain with some muscle weakness and numbness in soles of his feet.  He had an MRI of the lower back yesterday, and nothing abnormal was seen so they are scheduling him for a full body PET ASAP.  Also his bloodwork was ok with only elevation in LDH (I haven't seen the report but don't think it is crazy high).  They haven't been able to determine what is causing the pain – nerve inflammation or bone mets or what.  So far we haven't seen any improvement and he has new subq tumors.  Although I know it is still too early to tell if he is an ipi responder, we are wondering if now is the time to try to get him into a PD1 trial.  Guess that's what we will discuss with Dr. Weber.

Thanks again for any information or insights you wonderful folks are willing to share!  I will update when we find out more in case our experience helps someone else in future.  (I know that we have benefited from many of your posts.)

Tracy

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        flvermonter
        Participant
          Hi

We have been going yo Moffitt for awhile; however we can drive there. they have vcomplementary valet service at Moffitt so you do not have to search for a parking place. this is so helpful and takes that worry away. the people are do helpful there.

where you will only be there for the day, you may be better off taking a taxi. maybe check with Moffitt or do map quest to determine the distance.

Wish you success with the treatment.

flvermonter
          Participant
            Hi

We have been going yo Moffitt for awhile; however we can drive there. they have vcomplementary valet service at Moffitt so you do not have to search for a parking place. this is so helpful and takes that worry away. the people are do helpful there.

where you will only be there for the day, you may be better off taking a taxi. maybe check with Moffitt or do map quest to determine the distance.

flvermonter
            Participant
              Hi

BrianP
              Participant

Tracy,

I had my first consult down there a few weeks ago.  I rented a car from Dollar rental car for I think around $25 a day.  They are right outside the airport terminal door (along with about a dozen other agencies).  Check out and check in was fairly painless.  I'm sure you would pay at least $25 one way for a taxi.  As mentioned the valet at Moffitt is no cost (other than tip) and very convenient.  Good luck with your consult.  Dr. Weber was great during my consult. 

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Tracy,

I had my first consult down there a few weeks ago.  I rented a car from Dollar rental car for I think around $25 a day.  They are right outside the airport terminal door (along with about a dozen other agencies).  Check out and check in was fairly painless.  I'm sure you would pay at least $25 one way for a taxi.  As mentioned the valet at Moffitt is no cost (other than tip) and very convenient.  Good luck with your consult.  Dr. Weber was great during my consult. 

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Tracy,

Brian

King
                    Participant

Tracy,

I am a patient of Dr. Weber's at Moffitt.  I've been a patient of his since 2008.  I live locally.  The drive from TIA (Tampa airport) to Moffitt shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and is direct/easy to find.  If you have any questions about Moffitt, please feel free to email me. ([email protected]).  I have always found the staff to be very helpful.  It's a busy place.

Let us know how it goes.

Stay Strong
                      King/Kathie

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                      Participant

Tracy,

I am a patient of Dr. Weber's at Moffitt.  I've been a patient of his since 2008.  I live locally.  The drive from TIA (Tampa airport) to Moffitt shouldn't take more than 30 minutes and is direct/easy to find.  If you have any questions about Moffitt, please feel free to email me. ([email protected]).  I have always found the staff to be very helpful.  It's a busy place.

Let us know how it goes.

Stay Strong
                        King/Kathie

King
                        Participant

Tracy,

Let us know how it goes.

Stay Strong
                          King/Kathie

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hi Tracy,

I traveled to Moffitt for 2 1/2 years in an anti-PD1 trial from Chattanooga….flying out of Atlanta.  My story is on my blog.  But, if you have questions you can email me.  I have to return in September for post trial f/u, but that will be my last trip.  I wish you the very best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hi Tracy,

I traveled to Moffitt for 2 1/2 years in an anti-PD1 trial from Chattanooga….flying out of Atlanta.  My story is on my blog.  But, if you have questions you can email me.  I have to return in September for post trial f/u, but that will be my last trip.  I wish you the very best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hi Tracy,

Pegc2
                                  Participant

TRying to get some info for a friend. Her husband has been in a PD-1 clinical trial about two yrs..

His scans show no more tumors or any other sign of cancer. The trial closed a couple of months ago but he will continue his treatments for another year.

He is very fatiqued and suffers from sores that itch something fierce.

Does anyone have any other information about the results of the PD-1 trials?

My friend is being treated in Los Angeles, Ca.

Pegc2
                                    Participant

TRying to get some info for a friend. Her husband has been in a PD-1 clinical trial about two yrs..

His scans show no more tumors or any other sign of cancer. The trial closed a couple of months ago but he will continue his treatments for another year.

Pegc2
                                      Participant

joy_
                                      Participant

Thank you for your responses and the info.  Unfortunately we found out the other issues (pain, weakness in muscles etc is being caused by leptomeningeal disease so they did more scans yesterday so we can get more information.  Still planning on keeping that appt at Moffitt… just feel this is a set back and will make travelling a little more challenging.

joy_
                                        Participant

Thank you for your responses and the info.  Unfortunately we found out the other issues (pain, weakness in muscles etc is being caused by leptomeningeal disease so they did more scans yesterday so we can get more information.  Still planning on keeping that appt at Moffitt… just feel this is a set back and will make travelling a little more challenging.

joy_
                                          Participant

killmel
                                            Participant

Tracy,

I am so sorry tohear this news.

Are you saying that your husband has the same condition as ValerieHarper?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57572856/valerie-harpers-terminal-brain-cancer-what-is-leptomeningeal-carcinomatosis/

Wishing you boththe best,

MaryBeth

killmel
                                              Participant

Tracy,

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57572856/valerie-harpers-terminal-brain-cancer-what-is-leptomeningeal-carcinomatosis/

MaryBeth

killmel
                                                Participant

Tracy,

MaryBeth

joy_
                                                  Participant

Yes, the radiologists report says "leptomeningeal carcinomatosis from mestatic melanoma."  Apparently it isn't all that common because I cannot find a lot of information about it.  This was from a report on an MRI done only on the lumbar area of his back.  They did a full body PET yesterday which we do not have the results from, but an MRI was done the previous week and that looked fine.  As far as we know the involvement is with the spine at this time.  He was put back on Zelboraf.  Praying for a miracle.

Was Valerie Harper's caused by melanoma?

joy_
                                                    Participant

Yes, the radiologists report says "leptomeningeal carcinomatosis from mestatic melanoma."  Apparently it isn't all that common because I cannot find a lot of information about it.  This was from a report on an MRI done only on the lumbar area of his back.  They did a full body PET yesterday which we do not have the results from, but an MRI was done the previous week and that looked fine.  As far as we know the involvement is with the spine at this time.  He was put back on Zelboraf.  Praying for a miracle.

joy_
                                                      Participant

joy_
                                                        Participant

Sorry… I just read the rest of the article and see hers was  result of lung cancer.

joy_
                                                          Participant

Sorry… I just read the rest of the article and see hers was  result of lung cancer.

joy_
                                                            Participant

Pink
                                                              Participant
                                                                I just started going to Moffitt and have found them very nice and accommodating. I have an appt on 8/12 with Dr. Zager to discuss options. I live 11/2 hr from there so it’s not too bad. Good luck to you
                                                                Pink
                                                                Participant
                                                                  I just started going to Moffitt and have found them very nice and accommodating. I have an appt on 8/12 with Dr. Zager to discuss options. I live 11/2 hr from there so it’s not too bad. Good luck to you
                                                                  Pink
                                                                  Participant
                                                                Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics