The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Travel Expenses/PD-1

Forums General Melanoma Community Travel Expenses/PD-1

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I hope the holidays are treating you well.  

I am happy to report that I am now in a PD-1 trial.  I am receiving nivolumab every other Friday for at least five more doses. If I respond then I will receive six additional doses.  The clinical trial is in Tampa and I live in Philadelphia.  I have flown down twice and the bills are already adding up.  USAir and Southwest fly daily and I am going to look into their medical travel programs.

Does anyone know of any agencies, non-profits, etc., that help cancer patients with travel expenses?  The primary expense is obviously airfare, but car rental adds up too.

Thanks and good luck to you,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Hi, Brendan-

That's great news that you are on the trial and have actually gotten started with your treatments. Hooray!

Travel expenses really can mount up. I hope that others here can give you suggestions about how to save money. I do have a couple of suggestions; these are things I have heard about but never used myself.

1. Contact your clinical trial coordinator and ask him/her to refer you to a Moffitt social worker. They often know a lot about financial assistance programs available to cancer patients.

2. Contact Angel Flights and Angel Flights Southeast as well as the individual airlines.

3. I think the American Cancer Society offers small grants ($500/yr maybe?) for travel.

4. I think that the Melanoma International Foundation sponsors a few travel grants. Contact Catherine Poole for more info: [email protected]

5. Post your question on the Melanoma International Foundation forum, too. Maybe some folks there will have some suggestions.

It is my understanding that what works best is to cobble together several small programs (some air fare, some ground transportation, some hotel discounts, etc) that in aggregate add up to quite a lot of savings. This requires a lot of research and paperwork, but it might be worth it to you. 

POW
          Participant

Hi, Brendan-

That's great news that you are on the trial and have actually gotten started with your treatments. Hooray!

Travel expenses really can mount up. I hope that others here can give you suggestions about how to save money. I do have a couple of suggestions; these are things I have heard about but never used myself.

1. Contact your clinical trial coordinator and ask him/her to refer you to a Moffitt social worker. They often know a lot about financial assistance programs available to cancer patients.

2. Contact Angel Flights and Angel Flights Southeast as well as the individual airlines.

3. I think the American Cancer Society offers small grants ($500/yr maybe?) for travel.

4. I think that the Melanoma International Foundation sponsors a few travel grants. Contact Catherine Poole for more info: [email protected]

5. Post your question on the Melanoma International Foundation forum, too. Maybe some folks there will have some suggestions.

It is my understanding that what works best is to cobble together several small programs (some air fare, some ground transportation, some hotel discounts, etc) that in aggregate add up to quite a lot of savings. This requires a lot of research and paperwork, but it might be worth it to you. 

POW
            Participant

Hi, Brendan-

ReginaTink
              Participant

I'm to start anti-pd1 in a few weeks and live in washington pa.  I will go to hillman cancer center in pittsburgh pa which would be a shorter distance for you.  Hope you can keep me updated on your treatments and how you feel.  I am concerned about side affects because I could not tolerate interferon.  Regina

ReginaTink
                Participant

I'm to start anti-pd1 in a few weeks and live in washington pa.  I will go to hillman cancer center in pittsburgh pa which would be a shorter distance for you.  Hope you can keep me updated on your treatments and how you feel.  I am concerned about side affects because I could not tolerate interferon.  Regina

ReginaTink
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics