The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Trametinib and Debrafenib Combo

Forums General Melanoma Community Trametinib and Debrafenib Combo

Participant

My husband started with the Tramitinib and Debrafenib combo trial a month ago.  I noticed there are quite severe side effects.  He was on the treatment for a month and was running a very high temperature and getting chills all day yesterday.  I would like to know from other patients using this combo, whether running such high temperatures  and chills carry on or is it not so frequent?  He lectures and had to miss 2 of his classes as a result.  I have done quite a lot of research on this combo – and am concerned that this could be an ongoing experience for him which could affect his lecturing.  Your comments will be appreciated!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

High temperatures are a common side effect.  I believe that the side effect is managed by adjusting the dosage.

Mat
          Participant

High temperatures are a common side effect.  I believe that the side effect is managed by adjusting the dosage.

Mat
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

The couple months I was on them yes I had a high fever almost every day. It would get up to like 103 before I even knew it. Towards the end I had 3 days of severe shakes the recliner I was in was shaking. 

They can do things like med holidays where the doc lets you be off the meds a couple days. Doesn't sound like much but it really makes a difference.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

The couple months I was on them yes I had a high fever almost every day. It would get up to like 103 before I even knew it. Towards the end I had 3 days of severe shakes the recliner I was in was shaking. 

They can do things like med holidays where the doc lets you be off the meds a couple days. Doesn't sound like much but it really makes a difference.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

ad2424
                    Participant

Please check with your doctor regarding dosage. 

I am on Mekinist and Tafinlar (the other combo). I started at the full dosage. Due to side effects I was reduced to a lower dosage, and then that lower dosage every other day. At first I was skeptical that it was 1/4 of the "normal", but the normal is not important. I am now 12 months on the combo, feeling great, no side effects. 

I hear the new "normal" might actually be every other day.

Make sure you question your doctor. Is your doctor an informed oncologist?

ad2424
                      Participant

I am on Mekinist and Tafinlar (the other combo). I started at the full dosage. Due to side effects I was reduced to a lower dosage, and then that lower dosage every other day. At first I was skeptical that it was 1/4 of the "normal", but the normal is not important. I am now 12 months on the combo, feeling great, no side effects. 

ad2424
                        Participant

Lil0909
                          Participant
                            I had really bad fevers with my treatment (not the same meds, but still might be helpful regarding fevers) … up to 105 at times, and 103 was all the time. When fevers got bad, Dr had me alternate tylenol and ibuprofen (advil) every 3 hours as they are fever reducers. Of course check with your dr before trying this! Also, I know its hard when you have the chills / shankes, but try not to use too many blankets, it just makes your body warmer…. but this is much easier said than done!! When I was in 105 territory, my fiance would stip all my blankets, ice pack on head, and blast air conditioner next to my bed, per dr orders. If feverification didnt start to reduce within a few hours I had to go to the hospital. It was completely miserable, but better than going to the hospital!
                            Lil0909
                            Participant
                              I had really bad fevers with my treatment (not the same meds, but still might be helpful regarding fevers) … up to 105 at times, and 103 was all the time. When fevers got bad, Dr had me alternate tylenol and ibuprofen (advil) every 3 hours as they are fever reducers. Of course check with your dr before trying this! Also, I know its hard when you have the chills / shankes, but try not to use too many blankets, it just makes your body warmer…. but this is much easier said than done!! When I was in 105 territory, my fiance would stip all my blankets, ice pack on head, and blast air conditioner next to my bed, per dr orders. If feverification didnt start to reduce within a few hours I had to go to the hospital. It was completely miserable, but better than going to the hospital!
                              Lil0909
                              Participant
                            Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics