The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Total lymph node removal vs observation

Forums General Melanoma Community Total lymph node removal vs observation

Participant
      I was recently diagnosed through a sentinel node biopsy with Stage 3a melanoma. My pathology was very unusual and most physicians I have dealt within this short time, have told me they “backed into” the diagnosis. As such, they are treating it as though it is melanoma. I had PET and CAT scans which were clean. My doctors at Sloan Kettering believe that I may be as well off with ultra sound observation every three months as with total lymph node removal. They are offering both options. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I was recently diagnosed through a sentinel node biopsy with Stage 3a melanoma. My pathology was very unusual and most physicians I have dealt within this short time, have told me they “backed into” the diagnosis. As such, they are treating it as though it is melanoma. I had PET and CAT scans which were clean. My doctors at Sloan Kettering believe that I may be as well off with ultra sound observation every three months as with total lymph node removal. They are offering both options. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I too was offered the same choice, or actually to be in a study group complete removal vs ultra sound) and decided to have the lymph nodes removed.  Since I had ultra sound prior to having the SNB and it was clear but the path report came back with 2 out the 4 having microscopic amounts of MEL, I was not comfortable with the ultrasound option.  It is becoming more of a preferred option now and if I was facing groin surgery versus arm (which was mine) I would consider it more seriously.  Tough decision.

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

I too was offered the same choice, or actually to be in a study group complete removal vs ultra sound) and decided to have the lymph nodes removed.  Since I had ultra sound prior to having the SNB and it was clear but the path report came back with 2 out the 4 having microscopic amounts of MEL, I was not comfortable with the ultrasound option.  It is becoming more of a preferred option now and if I was facing groin surgery versus arm (which was mine) I would consider it more seriously.  Tough decision.

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

lizzykittycat
              Participant
                I have been in your position. It sucks. It would almost be easier if WE didn’t have to make the decision. Search my posts though… I’ve asked a few times and have gotten some invaluable advice. I did the surgery. Last week. Recovering now. The drain is a bit gross but not so bad. In fact I think it may be helping to reduce what was pretty major swelling ore-op. feel free to keep in touch or ask anynquestions. Sorry for typos. On iPad and HATE it,
                lizzykittycat
                Participant
                  I have been in your position. It sucks. It would almost be easier if WE didn’t have to make the decision. Search my posts though… I’ve asked a few times and have gotten some invaluable advice. I did the surgery. Last week. Recovering now. The drain is a bit gross but not so bad. In fact I think it may be helping to reduce what was pretty major swelling ore-op. feel free to keep in touch or ask anynquestions. Sorry for typos. On iPad and HATE it,
                  lizzykittycat
                  Participant
                    John T
                    Participant

Hi – sorry for the decision making you have to make.

I know all operations don't come out the same, but I would like to let you know the after effects on my full lymph node dissection on my leg are minimal (Stage 3B). Although leg still feels a bit numb/sensitive at the same time (strange, but true!) – I now compete in triathlons, 10k running events and cycle events. Most importantly – no reoccurance, 4 years now.

Best of luck

John in Bangkok  

John T
                      Participant

I know all operations don't come out the same, but I would like to let you know the after effects on my full lymph node dissection on my leg are minimal (Stage 3B). Although leg still feels a bit numb/sensitive at the same time (strange, but true!) – I now compete in triathlons, 10k running events and cycle events. Most importantly – no reoccurance, 4 years now.

Best of luck

John in Bangkok  

John T
                        Participant

Best of luck

John in Bangkok  

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics