The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Total lymph node removal vs observation

Forums General Melanoma Community Total lymph node removal vs observation

Participant
      I was recently diagnosed through a sentinel node biopsy with Stage 3a melanoma. My pathology was very unusual and most physicians I have dealt within this short time, have told me they “backed into” the diagnosis. As such, they are treating it as though it is melanoma. I had PET and CAT scans which were clean. My doctors at Sloan Kettering believe that I may be as well off with ultra sound observation every three months as with total lymph node removal. They are offering both options. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I was recently diagnosed through a sentinel node biopsy with Stage 3a melanoma. My pathology was very unusual and most physicians I have dealt within this short time, have told me they “backed into” the diagnosis. As such, they are treating it as though it is melanoma. I had PET and CAT scans which were clean. My doctors at Sloan Kettering believe that I may be as well off with ultra sound observation every three months as with total lymph node removal. They are offering both options. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        CLPrice31
        Participant

I am also a stage III A patient at Sloan Kettering. My oncologist was very OK with not pushing me towards a full lymph node dissection. He did request that I meet with a surgeon anyway so that I could view all of my options. I decided to go with 2 full dissections. (I had positive nodes in 3 separate lymph node basins. I only went with 2 full dissections because MSK wasn't 100% sure that the 3rd basin was positive for melanoma.) I met with the surgeon for about an hour and I flat out asked her what she would do if she were in my shoes. I was only 23 at the time, otherwise healthy, and determined to do everything I could possibly do to beat this. She simply said, "If you have the surgery and the melanoma does spread, you will know that you did everything in your power to prevent it."

I figured, if there was any bit of cancer left in me, I wanted it out.

I wish you the best of luck in making a decision. It isn't an easy one to make!

CLPrice31
          Participant

I am also a stage III A patient at Sloan Kettering. My oncologist was very OK with not pushing me towards a full lymph node dissection. He did request that I meet with a surgeon anyway so that I could view all of my options. I decided to go with 2 full dissections. (I had positive nodes in 3 separate lymph node basins. I only went with 2 full dissections because MSK wasn't 100% sure that the 3rd basin was positive for melanoma.) I met with the surgeon for about an hour and I flat out asked her what she would do if she were in my shoes. I was only 23 at the time, otherwise healthy, and determined to do everything I could possibly do to beat this. She simply said, "If you have the surgery and the melanoma does spread, you will know that you did everything in your power to prevent it."

SABKLYN
              Participant

Thanks CL!.  One other questio – when you refer to the number of basins, is that tied to results from the Cloquet node?  By the way, I started my journey at Emory and it's a fine institution.  However I have found everyone at MSKCC to be incredibly kind.  My surgeon was two hours behind.  When we finally met with him I could see why.  He answered all of our questions and was extremely considerate.  I had the same experience at York Ave for my PET and CAT scans.  Although I was the literally the last patient (a time when the kindest of folks are known to get a bit cranky) everyone was kind, cheerful and supportive. 

SABKLYN
                Participant

Thanks CL!.  One other questio – when you refer to the number of basins, is that tied to results from the Cloquet node?  By the way, I started my journey at Emory and it's a fine institution.  However I have found everyone at MSKCC to be incredibly kind.  My surgeon was two hours behind.  When we finally met with him I could see why.  He answered all of our questions and was extremely considerate.  I had the same experience at York Ave for my PET and CAT scans.  Although I was the literally the last patient (a time when the kindest of folks are known to get a bit cranky) everyone was kind, cheerful and supportive. 

SABKLYN
                  Participant

CLPrice31
                  Participant

Lynn1962
                    Participant

I was just diagnosed with Stage IIIa as well, and i understand what you're going through! I had one positive sentinel lobe in my groin that had a very small amount of microscopic mets. I have an awesome team at the Washington Cancer Institute in Washington, D.C. and they advised doing the lymphanodectomy..

My surgery was scheduled for Jan. 27, but they called yesterday with the option to move it up to this Monday, which I gladly accepted! I was concerned about removing the lymph nodes because of the issues with lymphadema and dealing with the drain, compression stocking, etc. and then decided the hassle and side effects would be worth it if the surgery could possibly keep the melanoma from spreading. If they found that it had spread in a  future PET scan, I would be berating myself forever that I didn't opt for the surgery.

I have also come to the same conclusion about Interferon in the past few days, and believe me, I have A LOT of reservations about the Interferon due to its nasty side effects! Unfortunately, it's the only treatment option for my stage of melanoma, and since it MAY make a difference in my survival rate, I'm going to go for it! But I still haven't decided to do the regular treatment or the pegylated  interferon yet… 

This is a tough diagnosis to deal with because the treatment options don't have definitive outcomes to base your decisions on. I have been doing lots of research, only to find that there are no "hard" facts, and there is a tremendous amount of variation in the side effects for those who have lymphanodectomies and those who take Interferon. I wish it was simpler, lol!

Ultimately, I am basing my decisions on both the research data/medical articles I am finding online, as well as the first-hand experiences of patients who are sharing them on the web. It seems to provide a good balance to base decisions on!

I hope this helps!

Lynn

Donna M.
                        Participant

Lynn, hope your surgery goes well!  Sending prayers……

Donna M.
                          Participant

Donna M.
                            Participant

SABKLYN
                              Participant

Thanks Lynn – truly appreciate the feedback.  Best of luck with your surgery!

SABKLYN
                                Participant

SABKLYN
                                  Participant

Lynn1962
                                  Participant

I was just diagnosed with Stage IIIa as well, and i understand what you're going through! I had one positive sentinel lobe in my groin that had a very small amount of microscopic mets. I have an awesome team at the Washington Cancer Institute in Washington, D.C. and they advised doing the lymphanodectomy..

My surgery was scheduled for Jan. 27, but they called yesterday with the option to move it up to this Monday, which I gladly accepted! I was concerned about removing the lymph nodes because of the issues with lymphadema and dealing with the drain, compression stocking, etc. and then decided the hassle and side effects would be worth it if the surgery could possibly keep the melanoma from spreading. If they found that it had spread in a  future PET scan, I would be berating myself forever that I didn't opt for the surgery.

I have also come to the same conclusion about Interferon in the past few days, and believe me, I have A LOT of reservations about the Interferon due to its nasty side effects! Unfortunately, it's the only treatment option for my stage of melanoma, and since it MAY make a difference in my survival rate, I'm going to go for it! But I still haven't decided to do the regular treatment or the pegylated  interferon yet… 

This is a tough diagnosis to deal with because the treatment options don't have definitive outcomes to base your decisions on. I have been doing lots of research, only to find that there are no "hard" facts, and there is a tremendous amount of variation in the side effects for those who have lymphanodectomies and those who take Interferon. I wish it was simpler, lol!

Ultimately, I am basing my decisions on both the research data/medical articles I am finding online, as well as the first-hand experiences of patients who are sharing them on the web. It seems to provide a good balance to base decisions on!

I hope this helps!

Lynn

Lynn1962
                                    Participant

I hope this helps!

Lynn

Donna M.
                                      Participant

Well, the IIIA's are popular!  I am IIIA as well, currently in my 5th month of Interferon, and I had all of the nodes removed under my left arm.  I do have lymphedema now, but it's manageable with a compression sleeve and gauntlet.  No big deal.  I elected the removal because there was one node that contained mel cells, and I didn't want to ever look back and think "What if?"  That's also the reason that I elected to do the year on Interferon.  The initial high dose phase wasn't fun, but I was able to work (albeit at home).  Since I started on the second phase of injections at home, I'm doing well.  Just tired and headachy.  I'm able to go to work and function normally; I just need lots of extra sleep.  

Not everyone gets the awful side effects.

Good luck with your decision! 

SABKLYN
                                          Participant

Thanks Donna.  The additional frustration for me has been the lack of definitive diagnosis.  However, since no one can call it accurately I'm leaning more toward aggressive/surgical option.  Good luck with all as you move forward in your cure.

SABKLYN
                                            Participant

Thanks Donna.  The additional frustration for me has been the lack of definitive diagnosis.  However, since no one can call it accurately I'm leaning more toward aggressive/surgical option.  Good luck with all as you move forward in your cure.

SABKLYN
                                              Participant

Donna M.
                                              Participant

Well, the IIIA's are popular!  I am IIIA as well, currently in my 5th month of Interferon, and I had all of the nodes removed under my left arm.  I do have lymphedema now, but it's manageable with a compression sleeve and gauntlet.  No big deal.  I elected the removal because there was one node that contained mel cells, and I didn't want to ever look back and think "What if?"  That's also the reason that I elected to do the year on Interferon.  The initial high dose phase wasn't fun, but I was able to work (albeit at home).  Since I started on the second phase of injections at home, I'm doing well.  Just tired and headachy.  I'm able to go to work and function normally; I just need lots of extra sleep.  

Donna M.
                                                Participant

Bosandi
                                                  Participant
                                                    I was diagnosed IIIa as well last summer. I had a SNB and WLE. The SNB showed a few melanoma cells so a month later I had a complete groin lymphendectomy. I’m having some lymphedema but it’s not too bad.I just listen to my body and rest. I’m now on the peg interferon. It’s no picnic. I’m mainly sore and tired and confused sometimes. I am working full time – its hard and I see that I need to modify my work schedule.

Every decision is personal. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to fight this nasty beast. I’m sick of my new normal life but the key is that I’m alive and I’ll take that any day.

best wishes to my fellow 3a warriors!

Brandi

Bosandi
                                                    Participant
                                                      I was diagnosed IIIa as well last summer. I had a SNB and WLE. The SNB showed a few melanoma cells so a month later I had a complete groin lymphendectomy. I’m having some lymphedema but it’s not too bad.I just listen to my body and rest. I’m now on the peg interferon. It’s no picnic. I’m mainly sore and tired and confused sometimes. I am working full time – its hard and I see that I need to modify my work schedule.

Every decision is personal. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to fight this nasty beast. I’m sick of my new normal life but the key is that I’m alive and I’ll take that any day.

Brandi

Bosandi
                                                      Participant

Brandi

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics