The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Top Dermatologist SoCal?

Forums General Melanoma Community Top Dermatologist SoCal?

Participant

Hello,

Earlier this year, a mole was removed from my lower leg that was melanoma in situ in Chicago  While there, I visited Dr. Shea at University of Chicago, whom I was referred to on this forum.  

I've recently moved back to Southern California (preferrably Orange County, as I live here, but don't mind going to LA) and need to find a new dermatologist that is top-notch and well-versed in the latest technology for skin/mole checks.  

Can someone recommend someone?  I see that UC Irvine has a Melanoma Center, so just curious to get the forum's recommendations.

Thank you in advance and I wish you all the best in your treatment journeys.  

Best,

Denyse

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

I have been treated at UCI melamona center and it was a terrible experience. The Melanoma Center is part of a HUGE Medical Center. You do not get  NOT personal service. You are just a number. Also,  you could wait hours to see your doctor even with an appt. My recommendation would be to go to a private practice Dermatologist.

killmel
          Participant

I have been treated at UCI melamona center and it was a terrible experience. The Melanoma Center is part of a HUGE Medical Center. You do not get  NOT personal service. You are just a number. Also,  you could wait hours to see your doctor even with an appt. My recommendation would be to go to a private practice Dermatologist.

killmel
            Participant

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Dr. David Peng at USC in east LA is super friendly and shares his clinic space with the melanoma oncologist, so he is well informed about what can happen if things aren't properly checked and dealt with. I've seen him a couple of times, once was as an "example" for a So Cal Dermatology meeting, and once to have a subQ removed from my back. It's not an easy trip from the OC to east LA though. **yeeks**  If it helps at all, what I found remarkable as a patient speaking to the So Cal Derm group about my case, it was the young up and comer docs that were more informed, and FAR more open to knowing more about new technology and advances with the treatment of melanoma. Good luck in your search! And welcome back to sunny California! : )

Carole K
                  Participant

Denyse,

By far Mona Mofid in La Jolla,  She is a beautiful humean being inside and out and her first priortiy is her PATIENT.  I don't have her phone number handy.  I would call information and if you want email me and I will send itto you.  I don't have my phone nearby.  You will love her  She does a lot for the Melanoma Community as well.  

Best of luck adn know you can reach out to me any time.  

Love and Light

Caarole K     [email protected]

Carole K
                    Participant

Denyse,

By far Mona Mofid in La Jolla,  She is a beautiful humean being inside and out and her first priortiy is her PATIENT.  I don't have her phone number handy.  I would call information and if you want email me and I will send itto you.  I don't have my phone nearby.  You will love her  She does a lot for the Melanoma Community as well.  

Love and Light

Carole K
                      Participant

Denyse,

Love and Light

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Dr. David Peng at USC in east LA is super friendly and shares his clinic space with the melanoma oncologist, so he is well informed about what can happen if things aren't properly checked and dealt with. I've seen him a couple of times, once was as an "example" for a So Cal Dermatology meeting, and once to have a subQ removed from my back. It's not an easy trip from the OC to east LA though. **yeeks**  If it helps at all, what I found remarkable as a patient speaking to the So Cal Derm group about my case, it was the young up and comer docs that were more informed, and FAR more open to knowing more about new technology and advances with the treatment of melanoma. Good luck in your search! And welcome back to sunny California! : )

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics