The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Toenail biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Toenail biopsy

Participant

Hello!  I'm wondering if anyone has had a toenail biopsy.  I've had many skin biopsies and surgery for melanoma in situ, but now I've got a suspicious toenail that needs to be biopsied and I'm kind of freaked out.  It sounds terribly painful and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm in for.  Any info is appreciated!  smiley

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        JCD17
        Participant

My wife just had this biopsy yesterday 11/27/18.  The worst part for her was the needle sticks for the lidocaine to deaden her toe.  After the anesthetic took effect, she didn't feel anything.  She hasn't had a lot of pain with it today.  She's just taking ibuprofan.   So far so good.

JuTMSY4
            Participant

I have and it's basically this.  It wasn't that bad.  

Ultimately they removed most of my toenail (it was damaged anyway) to perform a more complete excision.  In the long run, that wasn't that bad all things considered.  

A
            Participant

My mother had the whole nail removed with the lesion excised. There was no Hutchinson sign. Now we are waiting for the biopsy results. Is it possible to have just a nevus and not melanoma??? The dioctor said the lesion looked superficial.

Wenkell
                Participant

Thanks for the responses!  I had it done this morning and it wasn’t too bad.  Now the wait to see what it is.

Fingers crossed that everyone has clean results!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics