The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

To all who have unknown primaries:

Forums General Melanoma Community To all who have unknown primaries:

Participant

I was just browsing some publications my Onc had done and come across an older one that might be of interest to some of you.  The abstract is scientific but from what I can gather, it says you've got something extra going for you and it should be studied!  A little good news anyway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18235114

I was just browsing some publications my Onc had done and come across an older one that might be of interest to some of you.  The abstract is scientific but from what I can gather, it says you've got something extra going for you and it should be studied!  A little good news anyway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18235114

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        lovingwifedeb
        Participant
          Thanks for the article, I sent it on for my husband to read. The “Unknown Primary” or the “Occult Primary” is certainly a mystery. My husband’s doctor believes once his tumor was taken other cancer cells “could” have set up house keeping elsewhere.

The belief is my husband’s immune system destroyed the primary before anyone noticed… Who knows…

So. Now we are re-learning how to eat better, how to leave processed foods behind us. Attention to food labels is a new requirement before buying… Grocery buying has taken on a new life of it’s own.

Thanks again for passing on new…
          I know I want to learn as much as I can!

lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
          Participant
            Thanks for the article, I sent it on for my husband to read. The “Unknown Primary” or the “Occult Primary” is certainly a mystery. My husband’s doctor believes once his tumor was taken other cancer cells “could” have set up house keeping elsewhere.

The belief is my husband’s immune system destroyed the primary before anyone noticed… Who knows…

So. Now we are re-learning how to eat better, how to leave processed foods behind us. Attention to food labels is a new requirement before buying… Grocery buying has taken on a new life of it’s own.

Thanks again for passing on new…
            I know I want to learn as much as I can!

lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

Dynasysman
            Participant

I am a tentatively-diagnosed unknown primary patient (probably Stage N1b or N2b) with background in pharmaceuticals and healthcare.  When you read the entire article you cited, you see what I consider to be even better news:

Two-thirds of MUP patients with 1-3 tumor nodes survived 5 years.  

It seems as if every 1 node patient who survived five years survived 10.

It also seems as if 9 out of 10 2-3 node patients who survived five years survived ten.

To loving wife of Bob — it also says in that article that tumors in patients with unknown primary and known primary sites grow at the same rate, but that the unknown primary patients have far higher levels on antibodies in their systems.  This would support the idea that your husband's immune system is an ally in this fight.

Look, if someone had told me five days ago (before I first learned my needle biopsy results) that a two-third shot at long-term survival was a good thing, I would have said s/he was crazy.  But from where I (and many of us) sit right now, it sounds pretty promising.  Also, keep in mind that those numbers were developed before the new therapies like RG7204 and ipilimumab or their successors were available.

Dynasysman
              Participant

I am a tentatively-diagnosed unknown primary patient (probably Stage N1b or N2b) with background in pharmaceuticals and healthcare.  When you read the entire article you cited, you see what I consider to be even better news:

It also seems as if 9 out of 10 2-3 node patients who survived five years survived ten.

To loving wife of Bob — it also says in that article that tumors in patients with unknown primary and known primary sites grow at the same rate, but that the unknown primary patients have far higher levels on antibodies in their systems.  This would support the idea that your husband's immune system is an ally in this fight.

Look, if someone had told me five days ago (before I first learned my needle biopsy results) that a two-third shot at long-term survival was a good thing, I would have said s/he was crazy.  But from where I (and many of us) sit right now, it sounds pretty promising.  Also, keep in mind that those numbers were developed before the new therapies like RG7204 and ipilimumab or their successors were available.

Dynasysman
                Participant

Dynasysman
                  Participant

Dynasysman
                    Participant

Dynasysman
                      Participant

Jim M.
                        Participant

I also have an unknown primary. My doc. said the mole regressed or disappeared (was attacked) and some cells went inside and found their way to the lymph nodes OR the MM cells were already in the body and gravitated to the lymph nodes. This is an encouraging article.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Dynasysman
                            Participant

Jim —

There's another 2006 article from some people at M.D. Anderson in Houston reporting similar (slightly less favorable) results.  I like this study better not just because the results are more encouraging ( :>) ) but also because of the matched pair analysis, which is a more statistically rigorous way to look at things. 

Stay strong.

Dynasysman
                              Participant

Jim —

There's another 2006 article from some people at M.D. Anderson in Houston reporting similar (slightly less favorable) results.  I like this study better not just because the results are more encouraging ( :>) ) but also because of the matched pair analysis, which is a more statistically rigorous way to look at things. 

Stay strong.

Jim M.
                              Participant

I also have an unknown primary. My doc. said the mole regressed or disappeared (was attacked) and some cells went inside and found their way to the lymph nodes OR the MM cells were already in the body and gravitated to the lymph nodes. This is an encouraging article.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics