The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time Table for SNB

Forums General Melanoma Community Time Table for SNB

Participant

How long did you have to wait for your SNB after your melanoma diagnosis? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kacey79
        Participant

I guess I should clarify….how soon should a SNB be scheduled after a melanoma diagnosis?  I'm going on 2 weeks and I don't have an appointment scheduled as of yet.  I'm getting ancy.  My breslow was 1.3 mm, no ulceration, 0 Mitotic Rate, Clarks Level IV.  I am tired of worrying about if it has spread….

Kacey79
          Participant

I guess I should clarify….how soon should a SNB be scheduled after a melanoma diagnosis?  I'm going on 2 weeks and I don't have an appointment scheduled as of yet.  I'm getting ancy.  My breslow was 1.3 mm, no ulceration, 0 Mitotic Rate, Clarks Level IV.  I am tired of worrying about if it has spread….

Kacey79
            Participant

JC
              Participant

when i was diagnosed a few years ago it was mid July and I had my surgery in early August

Kacey79
                  Participant

I just received a call for my appointment; scheduled for May 22nd.  My primary site was located on my left upper/outer side of my arm.  At my consultation, I was informed that they will be going under my left armpit.  Has anyone had this procedure at the same site?  I was curious as to what the recovery time for this will be. 

Kacey79
                    Participant

I just received a call for my appointment; scheduled for May 22nd.  My primary site was located on my left upper/outer side of my arm.  At my consultation, I was informed that they will be going under my left armpit.  Has anyone had this procedure at the same site?  I was curious as to what the recovery time for this will be. 

JC
                      Participant

I had 2 nodes removed from under my left arm almost 3 years ago – it was not too bad. 

JC
                        Participant

I had 2 nodes removed from under my left arm almost 3 years ago – it was not too bad. 

JC
                          Participant

sweetaugust
                            Participant

Hi Florida Girl

I also had a melanoma on my left upper outer arm back in 2000…and also had both procedures done at the same time, out at UCLA.  They ended up taking three nodes in my left arm pit (all came back negative.)   That part was easy and I did not have any trouble recovering from that at all.  They went quite deep on my arm though (since mine was at the 2mm depth, which makes the doctors worry a little more.) So it took a bit of time for my muscle to bounce back.  That was not super easy for me because I am a lefty and I was moving and packing at the time…so I probably used my arm far more than anyone should after a surgery.  ๐Ÿ™‚   All-in-all though – it wasn’t so bad.  Good luck!

Laurie

sweetaugust
                              Participant

Hi Florida Girl

I also had a melanoma on my left upper outer arm back in 2000…and also had both procedures done at the same time, out at UCLA.  They ended up taking three nodes in my left arm pit (all came back negative.)   That part was easy and I did not have any trouble recovering from that at all.  They went quite deep on my arm though (since mine was at the 2mm depth, which makes the doctors worry a little more.) So it took a bit of time for my muscle to bounce back.  That was not super easy for me because I am a lefty and I was moving and packing at the time…so I probably used my arm far more than anyone should after a surgery.  ๐Ÿ™‚   All-in-all though – it wasn’t so bad.  Good luck!

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Hi Florida Girl

Laurie

Kacey79
                                  Participant

JC
                                  Participant

when i was diagnosed a few years ago it was mid July and I had my surgery in early August

JC
                                    Participant

hbecker
                                      Participant

The timing is not unusual, so don't be concerned/upset about that. So far it sounds like your primary lesion is relatively small, and no mitotic rate is excellent.

Will they also do a wide local excision (WLE) at the same time? In our case the lesion was very big (and deep), and my husband needed a skin graft after the WLE. He was diagnosed in early May and the surgery wasn't until June 18. Yes, it was hard to wait …

Wishing you the best possible results!

Hazel

hbecker
                                        Participant

The timing is not unusual, so don't be concerned/upset about that. So far it sounds like your primary lesion is relatively small, and no mitotic rate is excellent.

Will they also do a wide local excision (WLE) at the same time? In our case the lesion was very big (and deep), and my husband needed a skin graft after the WLE. He was diagnosed in early May and the surgery wasn't until June 18. Yes, it was hard to wait …

Hazel

Kacey79
                                            Participant

Thank you Hazel.  Yes, they will also do a WLE.  I don't think I'll be needing a skin graft given the location on my arm.  I am hoping for the best but I know it can be a unpredictable disease.  I hope all is well with your husband. <3 

Kacey79
                                              Participant

Thank you Hazel.  Yes, they will also do a WLE.  I don't think I'll be needing a skin graft given the location on my arm.  I am hoping for the best but I know it can be a unpredictable disease.  I hope all is well with your husband. <3 

KatrinaPauley
                                                Participant

I had A SNB done on my left shoulder…  They found 3 positive nodes and near my neck.  I had to have all my lymp nodes removed from the edge of my shoulder to behind my ear.  I did have to have a skin graft, not pretty.  I have always been to one to wear sunscreen and take care of my skin, but to show you skin cancer can effect anyone.  The SNB was painless, it was the after math of having a huge part of my shoulder removed.  No swimsuits for me in the near future.  I am now taking Intron A 42 weeks left, and sleeping all the time.  It is sad the way Melanoma can change your life.

KatrinaPauley
                                                  Participant

I had A SNB done on my left shoulder…  They found 3 positive nodes and near my neck.  I had to have all my lymp nodes removed from the edge of my shoulder to behind my ear.  I did have to have a skin graft, not pretty.  I have always been to one to wear sunscreen and take care of my skin, but to show you skin cancer can effect anyone.  The SNB was painless, it was the after math of having a huge part of my shoulder removed.  No swimsuits for me in the near future.  I am now taking Intron A 42 weeks left, and sleeping all the time.  It is sad the way Melanoma can change your life.

KatrinaPauley
                                                    Participant

Kacey79
                                                      Participant

hbecker
                                                      Participant

Hazel

kpcollins31
                                                        Participant

I also had my SLNB under the left armpit… recovery was not bad at all. I was expecting it to be worse since it seems like a sensitive location, but it was not an issue.

Kevin

Kacey79
                                                            Participant

Thank you for the response, Kevin.  That is good to know.  I am left handed so I was curious how much time off I needed from work.  I don't really do heavy lifting or anything too strenous since my work is more secreterial/office type. 

Kacey79
                                                              Participant

Thank you for the response, Kevin.  That is good to know.  I am left handed so I was curious how much time off I needed from work.  I don't really do heavy lifting or anything too strenous since my work is more secreterial/office type. 

Kacey79
                                                                Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                  Participant

I am also left handed and it really did not impact me. Just confirmed with my wife… I missed work on the day of surgery (a Tuesday), I worked from home the following day, and I was back in the office on Thursday. I also remember getting back to the gym within a couple weeks. Hope that puts your mind at ease. 

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                    Participant

I am also left handed and it really did not impact me. Just confirmed with my wife… I missed work on the day of surgery (a Tuesday), I worked from home the following day, and I was back in the office on Thursday. I also remember getting back to the gym within a couple weeks. Hope that puts your mind at ease. 

Kevin

Kacey79
                                                                      Participant

Thank you, Kevin.  I guess most my anxiety stems from the unknown and fear of spread.  I am trying not to dwell on it.  The comments have put my mind at ease so for the time being I am going to try to relax, breathe, and hope for the best.  Gym… yeah, I need to get back to that too…thank you.

Kacey79
                                                                        Participant

Thank you, Kevin.  I guess most my anxiety stems from the unknown and fear of spread.  I am trying not to dwell on it.  The comments have put my mind at ease so for the time being I am going to try to relax, breathe, and hope for the best.  Gym… yeah, I need to get back to that too…thank you.

Kacey79
                                                                          Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                            Participant

Kevin

patobs01
                                                                              Participant

I had the SNB and they ended up removing all of the lymph nodes under my left arm at the same time (due to micro mets). I had to have a drain for one week, but it did not give me any pain or limit activities although I did stay home from work for a couple of days. I gained back full use of my arm because I stayed consistent on my PT. Since they removed all of the lymph nodes, there was a concern about lymphadema, so they referred me to a Physical Therapist that specializes in that, but that was 5 years ago and I have never had any incidence of lymphadema. Wishing you smooth sailing too.

Pat – diag. Stage 3 9/09 

patobs01
                                                                                Participant

I had the SNB and they ended up removing all of the lymph nodes under my left arm at the same time (due to micro mets). I had to have a drain for one week, but it did not give me any pain or limit activities although I did stay home from work for a couple of days. I gained back full use of my arm because I stayed consistent on my PT. Since they removed all of the lymph nodes, there was a concern about lymphadema, so they referred me to a Physical Therapist that specializes in that, but that was 5 years ago and I have never had any incidence of lymphadema. Wishing you smooth sailing too.

Pat – diag. Stage 3 9/09 

patobs01
                                                                                  Participant

Pat – diag. Stage 3 9/09 

Kacey79
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Pat.  I guess when the time comes I will see what is in store for me.  ๐Ÿ™‚

KatrinaPauley
                                                                                      Participant

The drain is a bad part that I nearly forgot about.  I had my drain in for 5 weeks, that's after all my nymphs on my left neck were removed.  I hated that thing.  I had to wear clothing that was so loose to make room for the drain due to it coming out of my chest.

Good Luck!  Not scary just not fun.

KatrinaPauley
                                                                                        Participant

The drain is a bad part that I nearly forgot about.  I had my drain in for 5 weeks, that's after all my nymphs on my left neck were removed.  I hated that thing.  I had to wear clothing that was so loose to make room for the drain due to it coming out of my chest.

KatrinaPauley
                                                                                          Participant

Kacey79
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Pat.  I guess when the time comes I will see what is in store for me.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Kacey79
                                                                                              Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                                              Participant

I also had my SLNB under the left armpit… recovery was not bad at all. I was expecting it to be worse since it seems like a sensitive location, but it was not an issue.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                Participant

Kevin

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics