The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time for Stage V?

Forums General Melanoma Community Time for Stage V?

Participant

Even after a couple of years of negative scans and a decreasing frequency of visits to my oncologist, I still stop by this forum every once in a while, just to keep up with what's happening in the melanoma world.It's encouraging to see posts like that from Kim K who are even further out after treatment responses, and nice to read the posts of others checking in, still NED.

In some ways, I feel like I no longer belong to "the group," having had a rapid and complete response of my Stage IV disease with the ipi/nivo combo. I no longer feel like I am a Stage IV patient, even though, technically, I am but with the post script "in remission" on my medical record. 

Several weeks into the clinical trial, when I first allowed myself to recognize the first signs of a reversal of my disease, I wrote a blog entry (http://daveschronicle.blogspot.com/2014/02/melanoma-time-for-stage-5.html) with a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that a new, Stage V category be added to the melanoma lexicon to represent those who have had a complete response to one of the newer therapies. I would like to think that Stage IV is behind me (even maintaining an awareness that recurrence, or a new primary, is still a possibility), and that the aspiration for the future is a natural progression for all Stage IV melanoma patients to a disease-free state of Stage V.

I've always been an optimist…

dvd

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Good to hear from you and that you remain NED!!!  I just had my Stage IV, but NED for 6 years anniversary, (melanoma for 13) this past April.  However, don't know that I would like the title of Stage V.  That has strong connotations of Emma Thompson's character in Wit….in which she notes…"we all know there is no Stage V!"  How bout…. Stage 4-EVER!!!????  c

dvd
            Participant

I like the "Stage 4-Ever!!" — or "Stage 4-tuitous."

dvd

Bubbles
              Participant

Good one!!!  Even better! c

Bubbles
                Participant

Bubbles
                  Participant

dvd
                    Participant

dvd

dvd
                      Participant

dvd

Bubbles
                      Participant

Good to hear from you and that you remain NED!!!  I just had my Stage IV, but NED for 6 years anniversary, (melanoma for 13) this past April.  However, don't know that I would like the title of Stage V.  That has strong connotations of Emma Thompson's character in Wit….in which she notes…"we all know there is no Stage V!"  How bout…. Stage 4-EVER!!!????  c

Bubbles
                        Participant

DZnDef
                          Participant

Glad you posted this, Dave!  Always good to hear from folks that have been Stage IV and are holding steady at NED.  We all need reminders that such a thing is possible.  How about Stage IV-gettaboutit.

DZnDef
                            Participant

Glad you posted this, Dave!  Always good to hear from folks that have been Stage IV and are holding steady at NED.  We all need reminders that such a thing is possible.  How about Stage IV-gettaboutit.

DZnDef
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics