The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

time for annual update

Forums General Melanoma Community time for annual update

Participant
      Hi everyone.

I wanted to drop by and say hi. Say– I’m still alive, and actually doing well.

I promised myself I’d do this each year, because this is such a nasty disease, and deserves to be assassinated, so we can live.

As some of the older people— if you’re still around– know, I am a stage 4 metastatic melanoma cancer survivor.

I had my first signs of mm in the summer of 1987. A mole I’d grown up with turned black, and started showing all the classic signs.

By 1990, I was a few weeks out from getting married, and realized– gosh! I guess I better do the responsible thing, and get this thing checked out. So… I did.

What I thought for sure was metastatic by then, the dermatologist told me– it’s benign, go have a great life. To which I excitedly said— thank you! I will.

A couple of weeks later, I got married to the woman I am still married to today. Yes, she stuck through it all with me, and I’ve stuck with her, through all her stuff too.

So, about a year and a half later, I had a pain show up in my left groin, along with a lump, probably about the size of a quarter. I told my wife, and she encoruaged me to go see the doctor. I did, and he handed me a bottle of antibiotics, and said—

if it doesn’t go away, let me know.

So, I left, the pain went away, but the lump remained. As the pain was really my only concern, I was good. We left sunny southern california, and moved here to nothern Nevada, and the mountains…. PS— a thinner atmosphere is not good for melanoma. I.e., I now live under 85% of the atmosphere I lived under at the beach. This means that 15% of the atmosphere that I’m missing, is the thickest/densest part.

By 1995 I saw a local surgeon, and talked with him about the lump. IT didn’t hurt, but it was growing…. ever so slowly. It had gotten to the size of a golf-ball by then.

So… another year and a half, late 96, I was working up at Lake Tahoe, on my “cat’s meow” project. I was so excited…. this project had been talked about for a couple of years, by local craftsmen, and contractors.

My former mole, which had been removed, and unbeknownst to me had metasticized, and become a tumor in my groin, had grown enough to start causing my thigh to start getting numb. IT was weird.

So, I went to the local doctor, and he passed it off as wearing too many layers of clothing (turned out to be one seriously hellacious winter, so I’m thinking— no shi8 sherlock! Of course I’m wearing too many layers of clothes).

So, I decided to wait until the spring. It had gotten sufficiently deep into my nerves, and thigh by then that my thigh ceased being numb, and felt like shingles (for the uninitiated, think a gallon of gas, and light it…. the pain is excruciating). By June 1997, I finally got into see a surgeon. My golfball sized lump was by then a twinky-sized lump

the nurse thought I had a hernia. I ripped into the doctor— albeit ever so politely (no swear words, or cussing, but definitely terse).

He did a needle biopsy (with the old bbq lighter looking “needle”). 3 vials of novacaine. I’d left for another project up in Redding, CA that night after the appt. So, by midnight, I was in agony.

I barely got any sleep that night. I worked all week, and was in agony. I finally got some vicodine (wanna good joke…. it’s not vicodine. that’s a waste of money).

I came home that following weekend, and my dad was there. I knew then it was a problem– he lived 250 miles away, and was not one to travel.

That was the weekend following June 20th, 1997. the surgeon actually ate humble pie. He gave me every single phone number he had available. Pager, back office, home, you name it.

Following a whirlwind journey, I left work July 3rd, and never returned. July 11th, 1997, I had what was the first of 6 surgeries.

I got secondary lympedema from that. LE sucks! Don’t let anyone EVER tell you otherwise. I still live with it today.

I’m going to stop here, because this is now a 33-1/2 year story, and I don’t have that much energy.

I do however want to say– I am presently NED. My last scans as of August 2019, are clear.

So, I’ll be back tomorrow for the next leg of the journey.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        soonerjenn14
        Participant
          Hi SteveDB,

I’m a relative newbie here, so thank you for sharing your story! You’ve had quite the journey! I started mine almost a year ago with a similar story. I had a suspect mole looked at in 2016, which was biopised and was benign at the time. The dermatologist had me back in 9 months for a followup and said basically the same thing, have a nice life! However, over the next 4 years the mole grew and got ugly, started bleeding, etc. I went to a different dermatologist in March 2020, this time to just have it removed. She wanted to biopsy it first, erroring on the side of caution, and now it was malignant. This being at the beginning of the COVID pandemic, I was referred to a surgical oncologist and after jumping through a lot of hoops to get an appointment, they found a suspicious lymph node in my left armpit and sent me over to a medical oncologist to start immunotherapy. After PET scans showed potential mets on my liver and 5 bones, I was diagnosed as stage 4 and had my first dose of Opdivo (nivolumab) on April 24th. I did well; lymph node shrank and the bone mets never appeared on any of my CT scans. In November, my lymph node had shrank by half and my oncologist was very optimistic. However, in early January I felt it and it seemed bigger. I alerted my doc and he said not to worry, could be a number of things. At my next appointment, he checked it agreed it did feel bigger so sent me for a CT scan. Sure enough, it had doubled again (good thing I had checked it and said something). We decided to start on the Opdivo/Yervoy combo at that point, and on January 26th I had my first infusion. I go back this Friday for my next one, and right now my lymph node feels like it has tripled…they said that could happen but it sure seems strange to me. At any rate, it’s very encouraging to hear stories like yours – even if you’ve been through so much. It gives me hope! Wishing you all the best!

Jennifer

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics