The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time between initial diagnosis and metastasis

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Time between initial diagnosis and metastasis

Participant

Hello, my name is Heather and I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma in 1995 at the age of 22. I have been very fortunate and have had no metastasis thus far. On my last CT of the chest two 3mm pulmonary nodules were found.  Upon re-evaluation of my scans the one was present on the previous years scan and showed no change….a good thing. I go next month for a follow up CT .  I am hopeful that this will turn out to be nothing, but as you all know it is scary. Until recently, I thought I was safe from metastasis since it had been so long(naive I guess).

Hello, my name is Heather and I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma in 1995 at the age of 22. I have been very fortunate and have had no metastasis thus far. On my last CT of the chest two 3mm pulmonary nodules were found.  Upon re-evaluation of my scans the one was present on the previous years scan and showed no change….a good thing. I go next month for a follow up CT .  I am hopeful that this will turn out to be nothing, but as you all know it is scary. Until recently, I thought I was safe from metastasis since it had been so long(naive I guess).  After this most recent CT's results, I began to research and came across some people with very long gaps between initial diagnosis and metastasis. Just wondering if this is common? Thanks! Heather

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        tommonoli
        Participant

Hi Heather,   were you ever told the size of primary tumor? Location?  Radiation, enucleation?  I am curious due to the length of time since your diagnosis, thank you and take care.

tommonoli
          Participant

Hi Heather,   were you ever told the size of primary tumor? Location?  Radiation, enucleation?  I am curious due to the length of time since your diagnosis, thank you and take care.

Heather
              Participant

I do not recall the size, but it was not too big. I did have the radiation plaque followed up with laser therapy. It was choroidal occular melanoma. 

Heather
                Participant

I do not recall the size, but it was not too big. I did have the radiation plaque followed up with laser therapy. It was choroidal occular melanoma. 

Heather
                  Participant

tommonoli
                  Participant

lak
                    Participant

Hi Heather

The first peak of metastases is at 2.5 years post diagnosis

then 7 years

then 17 years

then a few after 20

It is notorious for lying dormant for a long time. As each cohort comes the numbers involved are smaller

about 25-30 %  get mets 2.5 years from diagnosis

another 20 % or so at 7  then a few 17 and even fewer later.

These are mean tiimes so some may have mets at diagnosis and some a 3 years etc

The outcome is meant to be much better for those who get it in their lungs first

Heather
                        Participant
                          Thank you for the information. Hoping not to fall into one of those statistics.
                          ๐Ÿ™‚ Heather
                          Heather
                          Participant
                            ๐Ÿ™‚ Heather
                            Heather
                            Participant
                              ๐Ÿ™‚ Heather
                              tommonoli
                              Participant

Amen

tommonoli
                                Participant

Amen

tommonoli
                                  Participant

Amen

lak
                                  Participant

Hi Heather

then 7 years

then 17 years

then a few after 20

It is notorious for lying dormant for a long time. As each cohort comes the numbers involved are smaller

The outcome is meant to be much better for those who get it in their lungs first

lak
                                    Participant

Hi Heather

then 7 years

then 17 years

then a few after 20

edamaser
                                      Participant

Hi Heather,

NEVER stop looking for mets.  My OM metastasized 22 years after initial onset in eye.

Also, I had nodules in my lungs for ages, which did not grow.  Then later I got the real thing, but only after liver mets.

Anyway, I'm still here and feeling OK.

I wish you much good luck, and continued NED status.

Esther

edamaser
                                        Participant

Hi Heather,

NEVER stop looking for mets.  My OM metastasized 22 years after initial onset in eye.

Also, I had nodules in my lungs for ages, which did not grow.  Then later I got the real thing, but only after liver mets.

Esther

edamaser
                                          Participant

Hi Heather,

Esther

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics